Newbie - Installation Query

Hi All, 

Quick question before I head out to buy e-link and Railmaster. 

Is the only way to install Railmaster via the CD or is there a download for the programme available. I only ask as my laptop doesnt actually have a CD drive as its one of the meant to be ultra portable things ?

Many thanks

Yes you can download RM. The download will give you the very latest version. Then once you buy the full retail CD version as part of the e-link Railmaster package just use the CD Key provided in the package to register it online through the internet (from within the RM program), leaving the CD in its case.

http://www.powerpos.com/rail-master/rm_setup.exe

Remember with Windows 7 & 8, you must 'Right Click' the rm_set-up.exe file and choose 'run as administrator' failure to do this will almost certainly give you problems later.

The installation will install all the PDF RailMaster manuals as well.

In addition to Fishmanoz and RDS comments, if you do decide to install & run RM just to get familiar with the user interface prior to having your controller in your posession, then when you obtain the physical controller you will need to re-visit the RM installation process to complete it, by installing the software drivers for it.

There is a separate driver installation instruction PDF included in the downloaded manual pack.

Not trying to put you off but: I think most people would agree, that getting the drivers installed & working correctly is one of the biggest 'issue causing problems' discussed on this forum. So it is worth the extra effort spent reading through the driver install manual carefully beforehand and taking your time with the task.

If you should encounter driver issues, then there is a forum thread (link below) dedicated to the task of trying to provide help. Hopefully you won't need it, thousands of happy RM users didn't, but it is there if you do.

https://www.hornby.com/forum/railmaster-setting-up-and-getting-started/?p=1

Archived