running light activation

Romeo

The really annoying thing is - why would you want the lights off as default ?

Interesting, that it was set to 0.  One source I checked suggested that the most common default value is 6.  

While not relevant here, a check of the 8249 leaflet shows no default value at all.

hi, you have to ensure that CV29 is set to 006 or what ever setting you want plus 6 for the lights to work.

at least that's what I've found to work with a Bachmann decoder.

If I change the cv to 006 and this fails can I reset it to 000 as it is now without damage to the decoder 

Have made the change and successes at least on the short program track, will test on main line but I have a good feeling, many thanks for the help. Will confirm if all is well later. 

hi, you have to ensure that CV29 is set to 006 or what ever setting you want plus 6 for the lights to work.

at least that's what I've found to work with a Bachmann decoder.

If I change the cv to 006 and this fails can I reset it to 000 as it is now without damage to the decoder 

Have made the change and successes at least on the short program track, will test on main line but I have a good feeling, many thanks for the help. Will confirm if all is well later. 

All good on main track, many thanks for the info

Romeo, don't forget that by using 6, you have enabled DC running, not a good idea as it is now possible to get uncontrolled DC runaway.  If you have problems with this, reset to 2, all that was needed in the first place.

It runs well at 4mph and all relevant other speeds selected, so unsure what you mean, 

could you explain what setting 2 is and how to set it please

Romeo, you need to understand how CV29 works and the best reference for this is the Cv29 Calculator under articels on the www.2mm.org.uk website.

Having looked at it, you can see that each bit in the CV represents something different.  Bit 1, with a decimal value of 2 is for speedsteps and often needs to be set to make directional lights work.  Bit 2, with a decimal value of 4, is for DC running.  To set both bits, you give The CV the value 6.  This is also the default setting some manufacturers put in the CV.

DC running allows you to run a non-DCC loco on address 000 with some controllers (includes Select and Elite but not RM/eLink).  Sometimes though, if the DCC signal received by a decoder isn't perfect, maybe dirty wheels or track, or even a momentary short circuit, the decoder might interpret it to be a DC signal.  Then as DCC puts full volts to the track all the time, the loco can take off flat out and you can't stop it without shutting the whole layout down.  For this reason, it is often recommended to turn off DC running, which means subtract 4 from the CV29 value.

So that's the explanation of how it works.  And my advice on how to make the lights work - add 2, not 6.

Romeo, you need to understand how CV29 works and the best reference for this is the Cv29 Calculator under articels on the www.2mm.org.uk website.

Having looked at it, you can see that each bit in the CV represents something different.  Bit 1, with a decimal value of 2 is for speedsteps and often needs to be set to make directional lights work.  Bit 2, with a decimal value of 4, is for DC running.  To set both bits, you give The CV the value 6.  This is also the default setting some manufacturers put in the CV.

DC running allows you to run a non-DCC loco on address 000 with some controllers (includes Select and Elite but not RM/eLink).  Sometimes though, if the DCC signal received by a decoder isn't perfect, maybe dirty wheels or track, or even a momentary short circuit, the decoder might interpret it to be a DC signal.  Then as DCC puts full volts to the track all the time, the loco can take off flat out and you can't stop it without shutting the whole layout down.  For this reason, it is often recommended to turn off DC running, which means subtract 4 from the CV29 value.

So that's the explanation of how it works.  And my advice on how to make the lights work - add 2, not 6.

Thanks for that, it sounds very lojicical, will advise when I have made the change and got the results. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that, it sounds very lojicical, will advise when I have made the change and got the results. 

Works a treat , many thanks for the advice, just need to understand what the other address are for and whT else I can change to enhance the trains as my collection grows

Archived