Point Motors & RailMaster

Hi i have been given a western master set on e link for my last birthday ,rather ancient now as qualify for bus pass,any way I have all ready a layout which is 3 loops and a sideing which I have put on the design page of the e link & I have,with out the help of brainy daughter,got it working,what i would like help with please,in simple terms as no electrician,is how do i conect up surface mounted point motors to the e link system & once conected does the system show them aotomatiaclly on my design,i have put them in on design, then how do I make them work. sorry if I sound dull but never had any thing like this before only hand operated points on the old DC system .

Hope some one out there can help this confused.com old guy out.

p.s have got a cornishman DCC set which I am also useing the loco from the set on the new e link.

Hi Robert,

I don't know how your name got to be title of your question.

@admin please can you change title and move to RailMaster forum.

@Robert, short answer is you connect the three wires from the surface mounted point (red, black, green) to one of the ports (say port 1) or a Hornby R8247 Accessory decoder - red-> +, black -> C, green ->-.  You will probably need to extend the short wires to reach the acessory decoder.  Then connect the accessory decoder to the track power.  You will need to set the address of the accessoder decoder port using Railmaster first, by connecting it to the programming output of the elink.  Then define a point with that address on your layout diagram, read the RM user guide for more details.  Then the point will change for real and on your layout diagram.  

After reading this yesterday I dug up the two R8216 I had and a few R8243s. The first decoder I had previously used with the Select and I didn't get the 'programming window' when writing to it so I addressed it on the Elite using Reg mode (a point motor was connected to provide a load just in case) and then back to RailMaster and I was most pleased to switch them from RM. The second decoder was new in box and this time the programming window appeared. Looking forward to installing them on the weekend.

Glad that these instructions have helped more people than just Robert (assuming of course, that Robert has been helped by it, so far no feedback from him as yet).

Archived