Trouble with Elink in Aus

Axiryth

Ax

This is the email I have for them

support@rail-master.com

It supports replies. Have you checked that you haven't got them blocked somehow in your email system - try right click on the original email from them, pick Junk from the context menu and then Add sender to safe sender list or similar.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ax

This is the email I have for them

support@rail-master.com

It supports replies. Have you checked that you haven't got them blocked somehow in your email system - try right click on the original email from them, pick Junk from the context menu and then Add sender to safe sender list or similar.

That's the same one I have. I've added them to my 'safe' list, this hasn't helped I'm afraid. It's been two hours now since I sent my last reply attempt. Hopefully it goes through this time. But it took a little over twelve hours to get an error response each time before, so I won't know for a while yet.

Hi Ax

Are you using a Win 8.1 computer?

If so, you may want to look at my post in General Discussion "Could I be Hornby's unluckiest customer?"

You may spot some similarities.

Have you access to a Win XP or Win 7 computer? This may be worth a try if you have.

Hi Ax

Are you using a Win 8.1 computer?

If so, you may want to look at my post in General Discussion "Could I be Hornby's unluckiest customer?"

You may spot some similarities.

Have you access to a Win XP or Win 7 computer? This may be worth a try if you have.

I had a read of your post, it is sounding troublingly familiar...

Nobody has asked anything about my computer yet, not even Hornby support. I've been trying this out on two different computers; my main device, my Surface Pro 3, which will be the device I use with the system, is currently running Windows 10 Tech Preview. The other computer I've been trying is my brother's desktop PC running Windows 8.1. I don't have access to a 7 or XP computer. I can understand it not working on Win10 Tech Preview. But, funnily enough, it was the Surface Pro 3 with Win 10 that it was working fine on initially. So I know, whether the OS is officially supported or not, that it can and will work. It has never worked on the 8.1. But both are now exhibiting the same problem. I've got too much stuff which requires 8.1 at a minimum, that doesn't work on 7 or XP for me to roll back just for this. I need to get this working on at least 8.1, but preferably on 10. But as it's so new and still in preview I can understand the difficulties there. But as it worked fine initially, I see no reason for it not to work again.

RM works with all Windows versions, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.  Setup and drivers can be a little more fiddly with later versions.  Those who say it doesn't work have usually failed somewhere in their setup, even if they think they haven't, or their AV hasn't had RM fully listed as an exception and it is blocking them.

It may be worth explaining how to set RM as an exception in a typical AV Fishy.

I have the whole RM folder listed in my AV but it still stops me sending reports from within RM unless I disable AV for a period.

My answer is there is an AV guide loaded to your desktop by RM and it is best to read the section relating to your particular product as the procedure is different for each.  Then if things are still seeming to be blocked, turn your AV right off as you say.

If you want to know even more about AV, take a look at what is said in the two sticky locked threads at the top of the RM forum.  Both the separate site and the Setting Up and Getting Started have a lot of coverage.

PS.  Did you notice the post-Christmas Rush of baffled new users has died down and we don't have many unable to get RM going in the posts now.  Or maybe the sticky threads are working.

I'm pretty sure this isn't an AV issue either. On the two computers I've been working on, neither have an AV, firewall, internet security or anything like that apart from the one already built-in to Windows. I've followed the guides to ensure it is configured correctly for RM. I'm positive about this.

For Fishy to say that RM works with all versions of Windows is not quite correct.

To also say "operator error" is to blame may be right in most cases but not all, and certainly not in mine.

HRMS has confirmed that three Win 8.1 PCs. plus mine have failed to work with RM.

They blame the USB hardware within the PCs.

There may be only four cases, but when you are one of those four it does not help to be told that you are the problem, when you know you have carried out all the installation instructions to the letter, usually more than once.

Here is a copy of the email that they sent me just a few days ago. 

Dear Norman What you are describing is exactly what has happened with three PCs running Windows 8.1 that we are aware about.  When they had Windows 7 installed the problem was resolved, which told us that the USB hardware in the PCs themselves were not 100% compatible with the Windows 8.1 operating system. Regards RailMaster Support Team

For Fishy to say that RM works with all versions of Windows is not quite correct.

To also say "operator error" is to blame may be right in most cases but not all, and certainly not in mine.

HRMS has confirmed that three Win 8.1 PCs. plus mine have failed to work with RM.

They blame the USB hardware within the PCs.

There may be only four cases, but when you are one of those four it does not help to be told that you are the problem, when you know you have carried out all the installation instructions to the letter, usually more than once.

Here is a copy of the email that they sent me just a few days ago. 

Dear Norman What you are describing is exactly what has happened with three PCs running Windows 8.1 that we are aware about.  When they had Windows 7 installed the problem was resolved, which told us that the USB hardware in the PCs themselves were not 100% compatible with the Windows 8.1 operating system. Regards RailMaster Support Team

One would hope that a device like my Surface Pro 3, designed by Microsoft themselves, would have a USB port that is fully compatible with their own software. Surely USB compatibility can't be the issue here. If there have only been four instances of this known, surely I would not have two PCs doing this exact same thing. The odds are against that. But I don't know at this point. I'm still waiting on a response to my reply to their email, or another email telling me delivery failed yet again.

I'm not suggesting that this is the issue that you are dealing with, merely saying that from my experience I know there is a real chance that you are not to blame.

After what I have been through with RM I do feel your pain and I wish that I could help.

I'm hopeful for a quick resolution. It's been over twelve hours now since I sent my last email to them. That's longer than any of the previous times before I got a delivery failure notification. So hopefully that means this time it has actually gone through and a helpful response is imminent.

I also find it odd that USB incompatability is being blamed.

I have 4 x USB 2 and 2 x USB 3 ports on my pc and extra on the train pc RM is running through an add on card to the motherboard that gives me 2 more x USB 3 ports dedicated for Elite and eLink use.

Both these pcs are on Win 8.1.

I still think the answer lies in some of these pre-loaded Windows versions not having all their bells and whistles playing in the right order to be tuneful.

Here in france i had a lot of problems with Elink, initially. I have french laptop, with french windows, which is in a different format to the english version. It took some time for Support to sort it out, had to have a european version of RM, and even then, problems seemed to come down to usb compatability. If i was starting again now, Knowing that RM, works best with windows xp, i would buy an xp laptop, from ebay, where they almost give them away, and make it a dedicated RM machine. Presume ebay australia, has similar machines available. There does not ever appear to have been a usb problem with this set up. Just a thought. john

Apart from the Surface, I've built all of my PCs for the last twenty years. My brother's that I've been using to try and figure this out is a custom built PC with a full, OEM build of 8.1 installed. It hasn't had any manufacturer like HP or Acer tinkering with the OS, adding their bloatware and messing with the system. It's a 'raw' version, for lack of a better term. So, theoretically, it should have everything in order.

Then there's the Surface. Running Win 10 TP, yes, but on hardware designed/selected/built by MS. So one would assume that it is using USB ports that are perfectly suited for Windows. As the hardware and software were both done by MS there should be no compatibility issues there. 

The only common denominator between the two machines is the eLink device. I would hate to think that's the problem. I really don't want to go through the hassle of replacing it. But obviously I will if needed. My concern now is, if it does turn out to be the device, will the fact that it worked ok to begin with rule out any fault and claim to warranty? I would really hate to have paid $250AU for a device that I got to use for five minutes before it wouldn't work again.

I just received an email in return. They want to send a replacement eLink unit. They have given me a phone number to call to arrange this. It has eleven digits and looks to be a UK number (I'm guessing). I've replied asking if there is an email address I can use instead or a phone number that won't triple the price of my phone bill. I also think time differences would be problematic for a phone call. Now awaiting a new response.

I finally feel like I'm getting somewhere.

A very quick response from RM support. As I'm in Aus and purchased it locally, they are now suggesting I seek a replacement from the local retailer. It has now been a month since I purchased the device, I've already activated the software, I no longer have the packaging and I cannot prove to the retailer that the device is undoubtedly faulty. RM support aren't even sure it is. They want me to replace the device 'just to check'. I'm not sure the local retailer will be so keen to replace the device under these circumstances. Also, as the retailer only orders from Hornby on a needs basis, and only once a month, it'll be about six weeks or so until I get that replacement, if they do decide to do so. I've replied to support explaining all of this.

RM support insist the local retailer will cooperate. I'm not so positive myself, but I've emailed my local retailer's returns support email address informing them of the situation. Now I guess I just have to wait for them to respond during business hours tomorrow before anything else can happen. RM support have also provided me with a Hornby email address I can message if I can't get a replacement from the retailer. But they want me to explore the retailer avenue first.

For info Ax UK numbers start 0044...with usually another 10 digits after that.

I would push for a replacement eLink and 4 Amp power supply direct from Hornby.

I don't want to post the entire number online. But it starts with 0184. I just searched it online and the search came up saying it's located in South Carolina, USA...

Archived