Turntable Conversion

Axiryth

I'm looking at convertingbmy Hornby turntable to DCC. I've read the guide and understand the process quite clearly. But there is one thimg I'm uncertain about. After conversion to DCC is the designated 'inlet' ramp with its electrical contacts still required or does it become redundant?

I was unaware of the requirememt for this specific inlet when purchasing the turntable. Having to have that specific inlet connected to the mainline of my layout as described in the original instructions is impossible because of its position to the brown area with the shed on it. I have no way of connecting this specific 'inlet' to the mainline of my layout without completely redesigning part of it. You can see what I mean in the attached picture. Rotating the turntable so that specific 'inlet' comnects to the mainline means I would have to take out my roundhouse.

So, is this still required even after converting to DCC? What exactly is the role of the electrical comtacts on this 'inlet'? And can I get away with rotating the turntable so that the 'inlet' is one of my roundhouse tracks and simply supplying that track wkth seperate power?

/media/tinymce_upload/Capture1.JPG

Hi Ax, the inlet track is needed in the first instance as the contacts underneath it provide the power to the bridge.  However, you could instead just put DCC power to these contacts and your bridge will have power no matter which outlet you turn it to.

You say you understand the instructions so I assume you realise that without modification any powered outlet track ( the one which goes back to your layout for a start) will short out your DCC as the TT rotates and in the process Track A on the outlet contacts Track B on the bridge. That is why Hornby suggests you remove the contacts at the end of the bridge tracks.  They are about the only ones who think this is the way to do it.  A far more elegant solution which doesn't butcher the TT is to put a gap in each rail of all inlet/outlet tracks which connect to your layout and so DCC power.  That may only be one track.  All otherwise dead sidings need not be gapped.

There is heaps of coverage of this conversion in the DCC forum going back years.  Forum searches on TT, turntable and R070 should find many of them for you.  There is more on what I've said above too.

I also suggest you go to the Brian Lambert site and look up his coverage of TTs in his DCC section.  You should particularly make sure you understand slip ring designs and how they result in half the outlets being at reverse polarity to the other half.

Archived