Unable to register

Hello I wondered whether anyone can help, I have baught railmaster software plus an eling controller to replace my select controller I have installed the software onto a new machine with windows 7 installed and internet connection but it will not let me register comes back incorrect password even though I have checked it. I reproted it to customer care but no reply and I would have liked to use the weekend to set up my layout?

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

Unfortunately this is a classic problem reported time and time again on this forum that seems to cause many users issues. 99.9% of the time the 'incorrect password' error report is because the security requirements required for RM to perform this function have not been configured correctly.

In the RailMaster program folder (shortcut should be on your Win 7 desktop unless you have moved or deleted it) you will find a file named 'Security.PDF' you need to follow the instructions relating to Windows 7 Anti-Virus and Firewall configuration in this manual. In particular, look at the section on setting up a Railmaster exception in your Firewall.

If that fails to cure your issue then have a read through these previous threads on the topic:

https://www.hornby.com/forum/activation/?p=1 note in particular the section on 'Run as Administrator'.

https://www.hornby.com/forum/railmaster-setting-up-and-getting-started/?p=1

With regard to this last link and its recommendation to replace your Anti-Virus with the documented free alternatives. Personally I would treat this with caution and only do it as last resort. Unless of course, you are using McAfee or Norton Anti-Virus as these are known to cause issues for some RM users.

Its not Hornby Customer Care you want Mike, its Hornby Railmaster Support a completely different team.

The best way to contact them is via the Question mark icon in Railmaster that lets you send a request for help report telling of your problem.

They will acknowledge your request by email and then get back to you fairly quickly on how to sort this out. 

Chances are, if you can't register your activation code, then using the inbuilt report function will probably fail too. Their direct e-mail address if you need it is:

support@rail-master.com they do not publish a telephone number, e-mail support only.

Good Luck Mike !!!

Thanks to everyone, Im a novice at model railways though  looking forward to my new hobby. 

Chances are, if you can't register your activation code, then using the inbuilt report function will probably fail too. Their direct e-mail address if you need it is:

support@rail-master.com

Good Luck Mike !!!

Mike, just for reference. Do not use the BLUE reply button.

As you can see above, your last reply has been corrupted and your written text has been caught up inside the yellow box.

Instead scroll down to the bottom of the page and put your reply in the big white text box and click the GREEN reply button. It makes it easier for us to follow the thread of the post if we are not constantly re-reading previously written text. As an example, this reply was done using the GREEN button.

Don't forget, although Hornby staff may not be working 'out of hours' there is usually many of us here monitoring posts at all times of the day and night. The Australian mob usually make an apperance from about 10PM GMT onwards. So they can usually pick up your plea for help sent at 3 o'clock in the morning (I'm assuming that you're UK based).

Mike,

No problem....just let us know how you get on....if you get your activation issue fixed this weekend...... A little feedback helps.....not everybody does.

Hornby Railmaster (HRM) is a software product developed by a company called Powerpos for Hornby Hobbies.

To refer to the HRM Support Team as Hornby staff is incorrect and may lead an enquirer to highlight a software problem to Hornby Customer Care (HCC) who would likely have to redirect the enquiry to HRMS at Powerpos.

HCC is the place to direct enquiries about Hornby hardware issues including eLink problems that are deemed not to be software related. HCC respond quicker to a phone call than email at present.

For RM software issues the built in reporting system when used sends a request direct to the Powerpos team - Hornby Railmaster Support (HMRS).

Following these guidelines will ensure you get the most prompt response to a problem whether it be for software or hardware..

I was just being 'generic' when relating to Hornby staff. It's fairly obvious that the software side is sub-contracted out. I myself have seen HRMS mails hit my mail box well after 'normal hours' and on a Sunday too. I was referring the comment primarily to the HCC side of things that Mike made reference to in his OP. Didn't mean to confuse any readers, it was just meant as a light hearted comment, we here on the forums are always here to help even if Hornby or their representative agencies are not.

Mike,

Unfortunately this is a classic problem reported time and time again on this forum that seems to cause many users issues. 99.9% of the time the 'incorrect password' error report is because the security requirements required for RM to perform this function have not been configured correctly.

In the RailMaster program folder (shortcut should be on your Win 7 desktop unless you have moved or deleted it) you will find a file named 'Security.PDF' you need to follow the instructions relating to Windows 7 Anti-Virus and Firewall configuration in this manual. In particular, look at the section on setting up a Railmaster exception in your Firewall.

If that fails to cure your issue then have a read through these previous threads on the topic:

https://www.hornby.com/forum/activation/?p=1 note in particular the section on 'Run as Administrator'.

https://www.hornby.com/forum/railmaster-setting-up-and-getting-started/?p=1

With regard to this last link and its recommendation to replace your Anti-Virus with the documented free alternatives. Personally I would treat this with caution and only do it as last resort. Unless of course, you are using McAfee or Norton Anti-Virus as these are known to cause issues for some RM users.

The last paragraph of this post says replacing the antivirus products with the free alternatives should be treated with caution and done only as a last resort. May I ask why? While I do understand where you are coming from Chrissaf I am an IT technician, network engineer and consultant who has more than 30 years in this business both hardware and software and I can assure you that one should garner more caution when using purchased products as you will see when you read on. While they can be very good in the job they do they do leave us techies a very merry dance at times. Hence the reason for your statement re Norton's and McAfee (others could be listed as is my own personal experience) where you more or less prove my point.

The free alternatives are used by technicians the world over as NO paid for product will ever protect you from all forms of risky files, programs or code etc. Nor will ONE product, no matter whether free or not, protect you fully either. It is worth also pointing out that no computer should have more than one DEDICATED form of antivirus product installed because one will read the other as a possible program installed with malicious abilities. That is because one of them, when doing a scan, reads the signature files of the other in its 'database' and thinks they are the signature codes of viruses or trojans when all they are are the definition files (updates files to the av product). However, the programs I list are not included in this way. They are different to normal everyday products off the shelf in that are specific malware and spyware programs.

The reason for the three I suggest is that Malwarebytes protects you from malware and more, Spybot from spyware and more and the free av products from most viruses and trojans. You will also find it difficult to remove or turn off the firewall in most paid for products which is of no use to users of our beloved RailMaster.

No-one should ever be under the illusion that each of these malicious files or code extracts are the same form of rogue software etc. They are all very different and require specific programs to deal with them. Of the three it can safely be said that where av products miss malware and trojans, yes even old ones, then Malwarebytes will invariably catch them where the others will catch items they are structured to deal with.

No software will find new forms of attack on a machine as the attacking code, if you like, HAS to be written and distributed first obviously.

I am simply pointing out here that the advice I give is trusted by technicians and more all over the world and most hold the view that paid for products are more like bloatware than anything they pupport to be. They cling and wrap themselves tightly around Windows and can slow your PC down invariably enough to annoy the pants off you...

It is the user's choice how they proceed but most paid for products will stop RailMaster working through their over-protective firewall as you yourself point out.

There is absolutely NO need to be cautious about this whatsoever. As stated I can be safe in the knowledge that I have passed down correct and informative, safe advice. I have no illusions about that at all and the user is free to make their own mind up. However, when it comes to this kind of information being passed then that person should know what they are talking about although I hope you don't see this statement as being personal. This is not to be taken incorrectly as digging at your good self either as I do not know your level of knowledge or indeed you personally.

By myself having given that advice and it being acknowledged by Admin etc and it being a sticky shows the advice as being good. We shouldn't really have conflicting advice offered up afterward unless it is specifically sound and not just personal. Your intentions will have been to offer decent advice but there is a reason why that post with the link is considered safe and therefore is now a sticky.

No offence is meant by my comments above and I hope you see this as simply being constructive. We all have personal preferences of course and this is to be acknowledged by myself as much as everyone else and I do honour that. I stick by my knowledge and advice as I did learn from some of the very best out there!

AC,

I have read many of your posts, I even have your external website bookmarked, so I was absolutely expecting this response from you. In fact I would have been surprised if it had gone by without comment. What I wrote is my personal view and I think it is my right to be allowed to have one. I am not going to get into a discussion to defend it, as I have seen in many threads of your dialogue with others it is a fruitless exercise.

Best wishes and regards.

I think it is fair to summarise the arguments put so far and see where they get us:

AC has been telling us for some time, based on his long experience in the industry, that commercially available AV packages should be avoided due to the extent of their invasion into the Windows OS and the negative consequences of this.  He singles out 2 packages in particular.  He proposes an alternative arrangement of three packages to handle 3 different aspects of the threat.

Chris on the other hand tells us in his personal view, he would only use AC's solution as a last resort, except in the case of AC's singled out packages.  He then says he is "not going to get into a discussion to defend it (his personal view) as .......... it is a fruitless exercise."

Before reaching my conclusions on this, let me say that I find both AC and Chris to be highly valued contributors to these forums, both directly on model railway matters and also on a wide range of related matters.  We are better for having both of them here.

So my conclusion:  at the moment I have difficulty reaching a conclusion as Chris hasn't given reasons for his view.  Further, given that Chris has said AC's solution is acceptable (my word) in two particular cases, it is hard for me to understand why this should not be the case more generally.

And the discussion is made all the more difficult in my view because we are talking not black and white but shades of grey here.  All solutions will carry out the intended purpose of protection from viruses, trojans and malware etc to a greater or lesser extent, and all will have some effect on computer operation as they do it.  All can be defeated at times, particularly by new threats until such time as they are updated to handle these new threats.

Now I don't need further argument on this matter, but I thought it worthwhile to summarise where I see we stand on it given the arguments to date.

And I apologise for further hijacking the op's registration issue, although I believe he already has his answer.

OK Fishmanoz. First of all let me say I thought your comment was fair and balanced, and as I said before I don't particularly want to get into a long debate about this, but just to explain the rationale of my comment a little deeper for your particular benefit, in particular the line "Personally I would treat this with caution and only do it as last resort." The way in which this fix is presented in the locked thread gives, in my opinion, the impression to a novice that this is something that they MUST do, regardless of circumstances, that it is not an optional thing to do. To remove all of ones existing AV products and replace them is a drastic step to take. There is nothing wrong in doing that in principle, if it solves the problem. But my view is that this should be undertaken only when ALL other avenues have been explored first and discounted as not solving the problem. AC gives the impression that he has an issue with commercial paid for AV products, and as I clearly concurred in the post I agreed with regard to McAfee and Norton. I myself have been a victim of both these products and would not advise anybody using them. I replaced both these products on my own machines with a little known (paid for by subscription) AV product that is excellent and gives me absolutely no problems whatsoever across 4 different PC platforms with a wide range of applications, including RM.

So taking the two bits of bold text above and relating them to my original comment: The first line of bold text relates to my use of "treat this with caution". The second line of bold text relates to my use of "only do as last resort".

I trust that this clarifies my comment to your satisfaction. I think you will see, I am not a million miles away from AC's views, I'm just more cautious.

Mike,

Let me add my apology to your thread being side tracked by forum politics. Any news on the issue, is it resolved?

Well, far be it from me to hijack a post... my absolute apologies for this...

My words above are chosen carefully and I have always subscribed to the notion that folk do things their own way and I always simply suggest or offer to suggest... I also claim to say quite often in my posts that I hope no-one is offended by any words that COULD be misconstrued... as for having a dislike, or giving an impression of, for any paid for product like antivirus programs... I do have an opinion but not a dislike. They all do their jobs but some are a tad more aggressive than others where don't need to be. If I have given a false impression of my views here I apologise wholeheartedly.

Chrissaf...

The reason for the three I suggest is one of my lines from the last post I made here on this thread... note the word SUGGEST.

As stated I can be safe in the knowledge that I have passed down correct and informative, safe advice. I have no illusions about that at all and the user is free to make their own mind up. Another line... note the text that says the user is free to make their own mind up.

While I do understand where you are coming from Chrissaf this simply means I see that and I accept your personal approach which you are more than entitled to as is everyone. I have no gripe at all there... none.

What I wrote is my personal view and I think it is my right to be allowed to have one. I am not going to get into a discussion to defend it, as I have seen in many threads of your dialogue with others it is a fruitless exercise.

I accepted your statement of a personal view in my original post.. although it was generalised I admit :-)

I don't quite know why you feel the need to have a dig at previous posts from myself. I am always somewhat thoughtful of how I word things, especially, on any forum and try to be considerate. I always try to read posts a few times just to see that they read as they are meant. It is SO easy to misunderstand anyone on here or any forum as their mood cannot be reflected by words alone.

I am sorry you feel the need to have a go at me, or indeed my previous posts, as I was never intending to do that to you or anyone else for that matter. I enjoy this forum and its banter a lot as some others are just too staid for my liking.

Maybe in my eagerness to help folk along with RM I may get some things wrong... but don't you too? Doesn't every member of this forum and everyone alive today? :-)

In no way do I type any of this with bitterness or thoughts of anger or any other gripe so please don't read it wrong.

If I have an opinion an anything and folk disagree they are entitled to say so. I don't hold grudges and I never have in life. It's too short to mess about with words and play games. Let's draw a line under this and 'virtually' shake hands eh?

Fishmanoz... I like how you commented on the posts and I must say a deep thank you for that. I'm glad you didn't take sides either... I would like to think we can ALL contribute to this forum in a good positive manner... there's no room for silly stuff like this. :-)

Onwards and upwards...

Hi Guys

My thoughts on the issue...

I have been in the computer industry for 40 years, and (more importantly) am still working in the industry, mainly working on developing software and the consequent client hardware issues...

I think we all agree that there are two particular AV products which generate issues and are best avoided.  There are also many (both paid-for and free) which do not.

Railmaster is the only program I use which has to be run as an administrator and because of that, it is extremely important to have an anti-virus product active.

Personally, I run RM on a dedicated PC which can simply be re-loaded in case of problems, but I stull run Microsoft Defender as AVC and Spybot.  I have Windows Firewall turned off.

I do not suffer any RM internet connection problems on that PC, but that is only my experience of the products I choose to use.

Peter

... I may get some things wrong... but don't you too? Doesn't every member of this forum..

... I would like to think we can ALL contribute to this forum in a good positive manner... there's no room for silly stuff...

...Onwards and upwards...

Totally agree AC - been there, done that got the tee shirt as they say.

All contributions whilst given in good faith may not always totally correct, for which I can only apologise for my personal past, present and likely future errors.

AC,

I am not having a go, far from it. In fact I'm finding it quite amusing because I saw this all coming, if you recall in my first response to your comment I wrote "I was absolutely expecting this response from you. In fact I would have been surprised if it had gone by without comment".

I genuinely believe you, when you say you just want to be helpful. Let's face it, only somebody with that level of commitment would go to the trouble of producing the external RM help website that you have done, and be one of the key authors of the current locked thread guide. In fact as a direct result of all this dialogue in this thread I believe even more strongly that you have a desire to be helpful.

I've really tried my best to steer clear of this 'bat 'n' ball' endless round of dialogue of justifications and counter justifications. After saying I wasn't going to get into a discussion to defend my comment, I was only drawn back to make one further reply because of Fishmanoz's fair and balanced remarks and his obvious curiosity as to why I wrote what I wrote. This post itself has already proven the other comment I made, as it turns into the very 'fruitless exercise' that I was referring to. The amount of text that has been generated in this thread is totally disproportionate to the one 'throw away' 14 word sentence I made in my original post.

However, I for one do agree with you on this point - I too, would like to consider this as a 'water under the bridge' moment, put it behind us and move on with no bad feelings or grudges, because I certainly don't have any towards you, or anybody else for that matter. I'm subscribing to this forum because I, like you, want to help others too. Yes I have my own opinions; yes I think I should be allowed to have them. But I'm first to apologise if I make an error in accuracy. Fishmanoz will back me up there, as he has himself pointed out my mistaken errors to me more than once in the past and I accepted them, retracted any statement I had made based on them, and apologised appropriately.

I'll offer you this though, if in the future I find it in my honest opinion to make a similar comment as to the one that regrettably started this whole thing off, I will try to use a re-phrased comment similar to:

"In my opinion, replacing all your existing anti-virus products as suggested in the 'Railmaster: Setting up and Getting Started' guide is a drastic action to take, and in my view should only be undertaken once all other alternative solution avenues have been explored and proven to not fix the RM internet connectivity issues" - not necessarily word for word as written here, but along the lines of. I think it is less confrontational than my original 14 word sentence. Being confrontational was NOT in any way, shape or form meant to be intentional by the way, I was just trying to condense the essence of the statement above into as fewer words as possible. Particularly as I have drawn criticism on this forum on many occasions for being too wordy.

I hope we can be friends too as you have indicated........life is too short to be enemies.

I wouldn't worry about being too wordy... it's when some of us waffle, me included at times, is when it can get a bit silly.

When I first started on this forum there were loads of issues with it as most of the first set of members will testify to. We had no idea how this was to build up and be run and where the forum was going etc. We all said our bit and some of it was not that clever... but we moved on. Some of my first posts were in that lot but of late I keep my distance from rants and don't make them. Too easy to say the wrong thing.

Opinions should and will be respected on the forum and if things do get off hand we shall all be telling each other to get a grip and calm down.

Anyway... as far as I am concerned... as stated prior and you agree let's just now all move on and get on with helping the members and newbies with RM issues et al.... and, of course, respect each other's opinions, no matter what your experience... :-)

@Graskie

You must hide them then... :-)

AC,

A virtual 'handshake' on it then.....

One final comment. I know from previous personal work experience where a lot of our internal communication (due to geographic national distribution of staff and work colleagues) was predominantely e-mail based. You can put something in writing in an e-mail. You can say exactly the same thing 'word for word' verbally face to face. The e-mail causes offence, the face to face doesn't. The issue is that the written word can not easily present meanings that are picked up naturally in verbal and facial communication. Therefore one has to be extra careful in the written medium as the least unintentional thing written can be taken completely out of context and blown out of all proportion.

Graskie, you know you aren't the only one to make mistakes, else I wouldn't need your hats to talk through.

And I appreciate that others appreciated the time I spent carefully wording my reply to avoid bias as I realised it would be most unhelpful to be so.

Now, enough with the hand-wringing, and dare I say grovelling to each other, and back to the giving of good advice amongst the light-hearted but respectful banter that distinguishes these forums.

Archived