Help! eLink Setup Problems!

Hope someone can please help - I think I'm going mad!

I recently purchased an elink DCC set (Western Master), primarily with the ambition of digitising my large layout - however I'm trying first to set up the set as it comes, and I'm afraid I'm not having much luck.

I've installed the software, updated to the latest version and activated it. I've installed the elink driver, and I've set up RailMaster with the default settings for this set - but I have the following problems:

1 : The loco (no freight attached) is moving at a relatively pedestrian pace even at full speed - in the loco settings it says that it has a max speed of 45mph - is it possible to change this?

2 : Whenever I shut down the application and reopen it, it fails to connect with the elink (it says that the "handshake" failed), and I have to reboot it. Normally it takes 2-3 reboots of the elink before it recognises it again?

3: I'm trying to set up an accessory decoder, but it keeps saying that it is getting no response. It recommends re-checking the connection to the track, which I have done numerous times, but still no joy. Any suggestions?

Sorry if the are stoopid questions :-{

Hope someone can please help - I think I'm going mad!

I recently purchased an elink DCC set (Western Master), primarily with the ambition of digitising my large layout - however I'm trying first to set up the set as it comes, and I'm afraid I'm not having much luck.

I've installed the software, updated to the latest version and activated it. I've installed the elink driver, and I've set up RailMaster with the default settings for this set - but I have the following problems:

1 : The loco (no freight attached) is moving at a relatively pedestrian pace even at full speed - in the loco settings it says that it has a max speed of 45mph - is it possible to change this?

2 : Whenever I shut down the application and reopen it, it fails to connect with the elink (it says that the "handshake" failed), and I have to reboot it. Normally it takes 2-3 reboots of the elink before it recognises it again?

3: I'm trying to set up an accessory decoder, but it keeps saying that it is getting no response. It recommends re-checking the connection to the track, which I have done numerous times, but still no joy. Any suggestions?

Sorry if the are stoopid questions :-{

And to answer my own first question - I've turned the "scale speed" option off, and can now take the max speed u to 127mph - so that's one of thee sorted!

And now I can answer the third question - it seems that the connector pick-up is getting a poor connection - when I wire the decoder directly into the "track" output on the elink it detects and operates fine (once I've worked out that it's looking for address 0001 rather than just 1).

Getting there now 

Hi - and thanks for the reply.

i did have a quick look through, and I've now read them thoroughly - maybe it's the "order of start-up" that's causing the "handshake failed" thing.

I have to say, maybe it's just me, but I'm not finding the whole set-up very easy to use. It's not hugely intuitive, and seems incredibly sensitive to the slightest thing?

I read the posts about anti-virus software and firewalls with intrigue - it seems bonkers that your choice of online protection would be dictated by one application - unless I've misread that? Luckily I'm running a dedicated laptop for this, so I'm fine with configuring it however works best with RM, but if I wasn't, I don't think I'd be happy with changing my AV.

Neil, if you are all set up, have listed RM as an exception in your AV software as per the AV pdf guide RM has installed on your desktop, have been able to activate and the software finds new updates when they become available, you don't seem to be having an AV problem.  

Even so, in the separate site linked to from the thread at the top of the forum, AC gives you very good reasons why you might not want to use a number of commercially available AV packages, particularly two of them.  And many here, including me, have agreed with him concerning the two he singles out.

• 2 weeks later...

Talking of AV issues in the last couple of posts here has prompted me to relay my  issues I was having (but not any more) thanks to the helpful support staff of Webroot, I use Webroot SecureAnywhere Anitvirus and every time I tried the run the exe program to install Railmaster it was getting blocked stating there was a Trojan file present. I sent a support request ticket to Webroot  and they responded  by sending be a link to a program to install on my computer   to gather information on what was happening to my computer while trying to install Railmaster.  The end result being that the so called Trojan file that was beng found was a false positive, and they have updated there security definitions to address this. I have since installed Railmaster & eLink hassle free.

Archived