How many twists per metre for DCC Power Bus?

choralc

Just to throw a spanner in, I didn't put ANY twists in, and I've had no problems!

I kept the two BUS cables a few inches apart, to reduce the chance of shorts when installing all the droppers.

The twists are only to reduce the chance of RF radiation or pick-up, and as I have more radio sets of all kinds (being a radio ham!) I've never heard or caused any interference to/from the railways to/from the radios!

Hi

I didn't put twists in the DCC bus initially but had to later, I had a touch screen monitor at the side of the layout, the bus went round the edge of the layout, inner side of 3x1, passing the monitor and caused me problems. Putting in the twists solved the issue but I have since gone back to a standard monitor.

PJ

... I had a touch screen monitor  ...  but I have since gone back to a standard monitor.

Hi PJ,

I was surprised to read this.

I think it is down to what you are used to.

My first computer was a green screen from Tandy, even before the BBC micro, even before Windoss! I have always used keyboard and mouse, never got used to laptop finger pads, I always use a wireless mouse. The phone and tablet are the only item I use fingers and that is only because I have to.

Thanks forumites for your comments.

I have no doubt that in small layouts, i.e. much less a small double garage ;), like mine is, will suffer much if I did not twist but this, my first baseboard, is a 'try every thing I can to practise with', so I am looking at best practice.

PJ, Lazy BOY chairs, we have had them for years, with heat and massage. Our original ones were lane, came from alders. Then, 3 years ago, leg mechanism broke, and we ordered new Lazy boy ones from Browns, in morecambe. Arrived from america, in massive boxes. My wife, needed the heat, and only lazy boy, now make them with heat/ massage. Both have same facilities, superb. What did you not like about your Touch screen monitor, was it the constant cleaning of the screen. We have an ipad, and a kindle fire. My wife is an avid reader, and has the original kindle, with whispernet, whereby, she has access to unlimited FREE BOOKS. we use tablets for internet/ photos. I dont think you can better an ipad. john

If you've already wired the layout, then rewiring to twist the wires would be a pain, but if you're starting from scratch I don't see what the problem is.

It will certainly guard against any of the problems that may happen as shown in the Mark Gurries link.

I have a 12' x 6' triple track layout with no 'BusMain'. Single feed to each loop. Never have any signal or power problems. You can't twist the tracks! Whilst I fully appreciate the advantage of a Bus power main; reducing the volts drop in rail connections, giving a reliable feed to all sections of track etc. I do feel that a requirement to twist is a little OTT. This is running a model railway not a high speed broadband IT system.  

PJ, Lazy BOY chairs, we have had them for years, with heat and massage. Our original ones were lane, came from alders. Then, 3 years ago, leg mechanism broke, and we ordered new Lazy boy ones from Browns, in morecambe. Arrived from america, in massive boxes. My wife, needed the heat, and only lazy boy, now make them with heat/ massage. Both have same facilities, superb. john

Hello John

Oh you are a Lazy Boy  ;o)   They are actually Lazboy but I usually call them Lazeboy  ;o)

When I first saw the advert on TV I thought they said they were lady boys and I though, Oh no, I am not having any of them.  I have just got a basic one, being humble ;o)  What I mean is no heated chair, we just run the central heating up. Joking!

Yes we got ours from Brown's in Morecambe. They have been there years, always very helpful though. I do wonder how long they will have the business though as they are all adding to their years (aren't we all).

What I like about my, 'electric chair', as my wife calls it and smiles. Is not just the lift or tilt etc it is that it is totally encased in what ever angle it is in, leg or leg and back recline or full body lift.  It means our two small cats (9 months) cannot get inside!

PJ

PJ, What did you not like about your Touch screen monitor, was it the constant cleaning of the screen. We have an ipad, and a kindle fire. My wife is an avid reader, and has the original kindle, with whispernet, whereby, she has access to unlimited FREE BOOKS. we use tablets for internet/ photos. I dont think you can better an ipad. john

Hi John

I think I got off to a bad start with the touch screen due to the interferrence from the DCC bus with the screen being so close to it. The other issue was I like the keyboard and mouse so my screen is set that little bit back, not a problem for most people but, due to problems with my back and hips, I cannot be learning forward to make things work. I also felt the mouse was more accurate for throttle control than the finger on the screen.

My wife has the Kindle white paper and she likes it, reading on a sunny day has to be number one benefit I think.  I on the other hand have over 400 books on my system, they work on Windows and Android so I have them on my PC, Laptop, Tablet and Mobile. Many are study books and I add data to them and backup regularly. This was partly why I was asking in the Off Topic section if any one has the Windows 8.1 - 10" tablet, not for RM but for adding note as I study to the system. The other reason is although they work on the tablet the mobile phone doesn't like pop up windows. The Windows tablet should do everything the PC and Laptop do. But no replies so maybe I need to search the web and look for forums for that item/subject.

The Free books your wife has unlimited access to John, are they Free or does she pay a subscription to get the Free books?

PJ

PJ, NO, totally free. When the original kindle came out, you could only buy from Amazon, usa. It was expensive, but with it, came whispernet, nothing to do with wifi, as you know it. It will download anywhere at any time instantly, and was, and is still, substadised by american public. she can only buy books from amazon usa, which is a massive bonus, as the library, 100 times bigger than uk. She has 760 books at present, all free, and new ones are added to list daily. I on other hand have 2 kindles, one is a fire. Can still get free books from america on mine, but via wifi, not whispernet. Eg, have to be near my router. Heather, can be in middle of paris, fancy a free book, press whispernet, and its there, immediately. We also, have an ipad, again, linked to usa.  Their is a lot of good press, about the windows tablet, but youy dont want windows 8, under any circumstances. Within weeks, you will have windows 10, and be given the chance to upgrade your computer, windows 8 for free. Grab it. Windows 8 has been a total disaster, the guy who launched it, was fired, within the first week. Another Vista.  john

PJ, NO, totally free. When the original kindle came out, you could only buy from Amazon, usa. It was expensive, but with it, came whispernet, nothing to do with wifi, as you know it. It will download anywhere at any time instantly, and was, and is still, substadised by american public. she can only buy books from amazon usa, which is a massive bonus, as the library, 100 times bigger than uk. She has 760 books at present, all free, and new ones are added to list daily. I on other hand have 2 kindles, one is a fire. Can still get free books from america on mine, but via wifi, not whispernet. Eg, have to be near my router. Heather, can be in middle of paris, fancy a free book, press whispernet, and its there, immediately. We also, have an ipad, again, linked to usa.  Their is a lot of good press, about the windows tablet, but youy dont want windows 8, under any circumstances. Within weeks, you will have windows 10, and be given the chance to upgrade your computer, windows 8 for free. Grab it. Windows 8 has been a total disaster, the guy who launched it, was fired, within the first week. Another Vista.  john

Hello John

Windows 8 was a disaster but 8.1 as been fine. I have it on PC and Laptop no problem.

If I get the Windows tablet it would have Windows 8.1 in it and all are upgradable free to Windows 10 in the first year.

Your wifes system is impressive John

PJ, have already qualified that to RDS. One free, in lieu of transport, one pressie for disabled son, on for my new french friend, paid for already, one for me. What does she want to do with it, start a collecting trend for   should not have bought in thr first place, monitors. My disabled son in lancaster, is prattling on about touch screens. Perhaps its a northern thing. john

Hi John

I will have a word with my wife see what it was she was planning to do with it, if nothing I will let you know. I know she babbled on about something for it but, I wasn't listening, I was more concerned having a monitor that worked for me and I think probably embrassed I had been pushing my luck.

PJ

Archived