hornby select firmware update

cal646

Unfortunately for the Select. It is not possible for the 'user' to perform a firmware upgrade (there is no physical port on the Select to which a PC can be attached). It has to be done by Hornby. I believe they offer this as a 'free' service. You have to pay the sending P&P costs, but I believe Hornby fund the return P&P costs. You will need to contact Hornby Customer Services to discuss and arrange.

I keep hearing of firmware updates on the Select controllers but to be honest I think they are just rumours, Hornby updated the early Select controllers to Firmware 1.2 I believe that was the last update done.

Try Googling Select updates and all it comes up with is Elite updates, I have turned the www upside down trying to find any Select update  and have found zero zilsh.

That is not to say that new Select controllers being sold today do not have updated firmware but as far as updating older units we are just dreaming, even the Hornby adverts for the Select controller show a feature for Firmware 1.2, IMO anything else is just baloney.

That's correct Dave, it has been some years since there has been an update.  I believe a couple were found down in a back corner of the Ark that had to be sent back to Hornby.  You can tell what version you have as the 12 flashes up when you first start.

you will have to look on back threads, but i had a select updated, about a year ago, and posted the update number. Their was a problem with previous update, and latest one, corrected it. I will look at mine tomorrow, but it has the most recent update. john

Back in July 2012  I sent 3 select controllers to Hornby for upgrade to v1.3 which had been available since 1st Aug 2011 so it was compatible with the ESU Lockheed 4 sound decoders. As mentioned above it was a free upgrade service. I'm not sure if there is any other upgrade since then.

Tee

ps,

John may have v1.4 seeing he posted ahead my post?

thanks guys much appreciated for the info i think mine is one of the older ones it came with the mixed goods train pack and 12 is the first number so it could do with the update but considering its limitations to programme cv's i think i may need to save up the pennys and get a more upto date and nmra compliant controller, so maybe next year if the trickle down effect of the so called economic good times ever reaches me before more taxes pilages the few pennys i might gain lol

Cal646 sorry, i know there were  several problems with the older updates, that were solved, by 13 and 14.The only cost is fo postage, one way, and your select would have a much better value, updated. Too good a chance to miss, a free update. john

It seems to me that Hornby may be keeping quiet when it comes to Select Firmware updates, maybe they dont want to be flooded with requests for the updates to be done, as I mentioned before I have turned the www upside down looking fo information an found nothing after V1.2, a but suss me thinks.

• 2 weeks later...

HI ALL  Select owners, as promised, i belive mine was last one, on the forum , that was updated, and firmware reads, 14   30  03, so it is much newer than many of you, and has solved all old problems. john

Hi Yelrow. My Select back from Hornby 2 weeks ago and behaving erratically. Please read my comments elsewhere. Thanks.

Jimbopuff, are you sure, it is your select, have you checked track, fishplates etc. I have never heard of anyone having a problem, with updated select. Mine is perfect. You, of course have a remedy, if you are convinced, its your update. Return it, hornby, will test and report, and cover costs, if proven faulty, but i would be very surprised, if there was not something else, at your end, responsible. john

With regards to Select firmware updates, I contacted Southern Models in Oz and asked if their Hornby service department did Updates for the Select, the reply I got was a link to Hornby Margate and a message telling me they do not do updates.

OK I contacted Margate and was told that if I wanted the Firmware updated the controller had to be sent to them, I guess I knew that would be the case but is it really worthwhile sending a controller half way round the world for updates.

My two Select controllers have Firmware v1.2 and do everything expected of them, do other forum members think the firmware updates are worth the trouble of sending the controllers 13.000 miles for updates.

• 9 months later...

Burt, welcome to the forum with your 1st post

If it was bought new, it would have had a paper printed manual in the box. So assuming there is no printed manual because it was bought second-hand then it is more likely to have an old firmware in it. Unfortunately, I do not recognise the numbers you have quoted, somebody who uses a Select might. I have a suspicion that the first 1&0 characters of 10-30-03 might mean firmware 1.0 this would be the very original version. If it is, I highly recommend that you get the firmware upgraded - see last para below.

If it is 2nd hand, then most likely pre 1.4 firmware is installed. The 1.4 manual will be the closest to what you might have.

Don't forget, if you have bought the Select to upgrade an existing Analogue DC layout. You will need to fit DCC decoders into your locomotives and replace or modify your track power clips for DCC compatible ones. May I suggest you download my "Getting Started with Extension Track Plans" guide document (see the locked post at the top of the forum 'General Section'). Section 6 in the document is devoted to DCC and explains the differences between Analogue & Digital control, and the track power clips & modification. Oh and nearly forgot, fit digital clips to your Hornby points. It's all described in my guide.

Do not connect the Select to your track unless the locomotives have DCC decoders fitted. If you do, you risk burning out the motors of your locomotives. 'DCC Ready' locomotives just means that they are capable of being upgraded to full DCC control (by fitting a decoder into a socket contained within the locomotive). 'DCC Ready' does NOT mean that they are 'Ready' to be controlled by DCC just by connecting a DCC Controller such as a Select.

From what I gather from reading other posts on the forum. Selects with pre 1.4 firmware had numerous issues that were largely fixed in 1.4 firmware. The later (current) 1.5 firmware adds support for F9 to F28 to support Hornby's TTS sound locomotives as well as other enhancements. Only Hornby can upgrade the firmware on a Select for which there is a small charge (£15??). Upgrades can be arranged by contacting Hornby Customer Care preferably by phone.

Addendum to my last post.

Burt, just looked at a previous Select firmware post. The post I read confirms that the first two 10 characters do denote firmware 1.0

As I understand it, this original firmware was so bug ridden it was not fit for purpose. Firmware 1.4 would give the first two characters 14 and firmware 1.5 would give first two characters 15 and so on.

I really do recommend that you get your Select firmware upgraded by Hornby.

Archived