hornby select firmware update

cal646

Just for interest, I thought I would check how my Select Boots Up.  I normally only use it as a Walkabout for my Elite so without a Power Supply.  

However, I disconnected it from the Elite and plugged in the Select Power Supply supply.  It does not Boot Up with any version numbers, just displays 10 then 30 then 03 (the 03 being the default decoder address).  I have had it since 2007 and it has never been updated.

They are the normal numbers that are displayed on boot up for an original Select.  They probably also show while it is connected as a walkabout to your Elite.

The number 10 is the shortened form of V1.0.

30 is believed to be the hardware version (3.0)

03 is the default loco address.

... original firmware was so bug ridden it was not fit for purpose ...

Strange that because I have not noticed any problems with my Select (which is v1.0 according to the above posts).

I personally only use 2 digit addresses and the only issue I have is that I cannot select addresses above 59.  Maybe the later firmware versions have corrected this?

Bug ridden comment....based on my interpretation of the many posts read over the last couple of years. Acknowledge that possibly over emphasised a bit by me....sorry! - no personal experience of Select to base comment on, just what I've read.

Chris, no problem.  Quite honestly, I think it is a good starter set and it is certainly what got me interested in DCC in the first place.  When I upgraded to the Elite, I always knew that the Select could continue to be used in some capacity and I would rather keep it, than sell it on for just a few quid.  I have also in the past lent it out to a friend and he has now purchased the Elite.

Would anyone who has a Select at software version 1.5 (or above?) please confirm that you can enter Loco Addresses up to 99.  My v1.0 Select only allows up to 59 but apart from that I have not noticed any problems.  I only use it as a Walkabout for the Elite but I do use Loco addresses up to 99 that cannot currently be accessed from my Select.

Whenever I enter anything above 59, the Select appears to accept the number but then does not light up the direction indicator light.

An electronic search (Ctrl + F) of the Select version 1.5 manual downloadable from this site has five instances that are all the same that the Loco addressing range is still 1 to 59 with 60 to 99 being for accessories. Appreciate that this is not the same as someone actually confirming this via practical testing on a physical unit, but it does on the surface appear to be conclusive. Page 20 relates specifically to 'Walkabout' mode.

Loco addressing range appears on pages 2, 6, 9, 14 & 20 - these numbers are the numbers printed on the edge of the manual page (except page 2 that is not printed).

EDIT: Rog got in first, whilst I was still reading the manual......his link is for the manual I searched through.

• 2 months later...

Thanks everyone... finally found the replys to my first question... since then, I have had it upgraded to 1.5... seems to be worse... as oultined in my second post, elsewhere on this forum... 

anyway... thanks very much everyone for all of your replies - we really appreciate it :)

Burt

Burt, I hope you realise now your Select isn't worse, what it did was show up the DC power track problem that wasn't previously showing on your Hornby decoders, but is was with your Bachmann.

Also, don't keep using your DC locos with the Select, you will certainly at some stage burn out their motors.  Mightn't be today or tomorrow,cut eventually they'll go.  And the next one on the track might be gone in 30 seconds.

I think it is pretty clear that, as Select uses 60-99 as accessory decoder addresses, you are never likely to be able to use locos in this address range.  Just another reason why it would make a great doorstop, if it were only heavier.

Archived