RM 1.61 Rev 2

Guest Chrissaf

I've just noticed something strange but I don't know if it is attributable to the latest software revision or not. I have a loco on which I wanted to raise the "Shunt" speed slightly from 5 to 8, so I did this through the loco settings window, saved the loco settings the tried out the new loco shunt speed. Amazingly the loco's direction controls had swapped - click forward the loco goes in reverse, and vice-versa. I closed down RM and immediately reopened it, and hey presto, the loco was back to normal with its new shunt speed. Does anyone know if this is a fault which has already been reported, or is this new to 1.61 Rev 2 ?

Ray

Hi John

I have downloaded and installed RM 1.61 Rev 2 without n any problem.

HRMS have confirmed as the software gets more complex, as it is doing, there is always a chance some may have issues but they confirm they test and test the software before release to try eliminate this happening.

We therefore have two options, download it and see if it works for you or wait 24-48 hours and see if there are any issues.

I confirm it works for me with eLink and I am currently testing signals.

PJ

I still think there should be a new RELEASE NOTES.TXT file to show what has changed, no matter how minor are the bug fixes.

Ray

I totally agree Ray

It is such a pain with so many outstanding issues reported. They may only be small items but everytime there is an update every faulty previously reported has to be checked again.  If the bug fixes are not related it is just a waste of our time. We do not want to waste HRMS's time but we also don't want our time wasting. I want to get in to programs but find my time is taken up testing signals over and over again, so am not finding time to enjoy another aspect of my model railway. 

PJ

Agree about a release notes thread! However I do think that there are far better things to do than keep doing updates... If you have a specific problem that you consider may be addressed in the current update then fine, download it, but if you are having no problems then perhaps leave well enough alone could be the mantra? Bear in mind that fixing one bug can always produce another bug that in turn needs fixing ad infinitum!

Agree about a release notes thread! However I do think that there are far better things to do than keep doing updates... If you have a specific problem that you consider may be addressed in the current update then fine, download it, but if you are having no problems then perhaps leave well enough alone could be the mantra? Bear in mind that fixing one bug can always produce another bug that in turn needs fixing ad infinitum!

The thing is, Tony, that there are a few of us who have been waiting for reported faults to be fixed for a long time now. My main one is the use of the accelerate/decelerate commands in programs. I reported this fault back in July 2013. At first, HRMS said they could not reproduce this fault, but then with help from a couple of other people on the forum, I was able to show that I wasn't the only one to be able to replicate the fault. Have a look at this thread:-

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/post/view/topic_id/5501/?p=3

Towards the end of the thread, in October 2014, HRMS said they were still looking at it but that is the last I have heard.

This particular fault, for me, makes it several times more difficult to develop programs which use these commands, and it is just so frustrating that it has taken so long to sort out.

Ray

@Ray - I did comment 'if you are having no problems' 

if you are then of course do the updates in the hope or expectation that one's particular problem will be fixed. But, and a big but, if no problems are being experienced then the reason for updating - and risking the start of problems - doesn't really exist.

HMRS are no doubt doing their best to fix reported problems but having been in IT support for many years before my retirement I appreciate that some problems simply cannot be replicated 'at will' 

many times I attended a colleagues PC to fix a reported problem and it simply would not happen!

We did make a few changes to the way some windows are displayed after reading this forum, including the multiple headers window being obscured by other windows.  There is also a new RailMaster.ini file entry (Controllers on top=0) where you can tell RailMaster not to keep the large pop-up loco controllers on top of all other windows.  This is documented in the updated RailMaster PDF guide.

We are aware of minor outstanding issues that some of you are experiencing with more complex signalling and  two or three other things and are working on those for the next update.

Dear HRMS

It is good to hear from you, no it isn't, it is fantastic to hear from you!  It really is nice to get some feed back from you, it encourages us, it takes away concerns and frustrations. 

We/I  look forward to the next update, hopefully the signalling issues will be fixed but if not all, hopefully most issues will be.

Thank you for all you are doing and most importantly, I think, providing an update.

PJ 

Archived