Tortoise point motors with elink /railmaster

does anyone have any suggestions on how I can set up the tortoise point motors with elink /railmaster.  The problem is the tortoise motor works on 12vdc so I need to activate them via a decoder to send a 12v doc pulse . The decoder I have is a Lenz 150s , I have tried fitting a 3 to 2 wire rectifier to the decoder output, but railmaster won't allow me o boost this to make the pulse long enough to activate the motor.  Any suggestions welcome.

regards Colin 

Hi

Tortoise (and Cobalt) point motors are stall type. That is they do not normally have a pulse of power to work them, but normally have a continuous feed. This feed is reversed when the motor is required to operate to the opposite direction. I don't think the LS150 can be set to continuously output feed? So with this decoder you will have to increase the pulse time length to allow the Tortoise to make its full travel either way.   Alternatively obtain the correct type of decoder that allows a constant ouput.

You will need to set the LS150 pulse time longer for each output and use two diodes per Tortoise motor/output. (Diodes can be standard rectifier type i.e. 1N4001 etc)  

Wiring is shown on the Lenz LS150 manual page 7.. .here is the manual link...http://www.lenzusa.com/1newsite1/Manuals/LS150.pdf

Thanks for this I suspected as much, with this in mind I have purchased dcc concepts AD2FX decoder which will produce a longer pulse in doc as well for the tortoise to function.  Can anyone confirm if I am setting the decoder up Correctly?

i am assigning a port no in the design section of the track plan to the decoder.   I then return to the track plan , switch the decoder to learn mode, trigger the point in the plan a coupl of times, then switch the decoder back to run mode.  This seems logical however knowing how peculiar the railmaster software Is this may not be the case.   In the track plan design page, the decoder I have chosen is dcc concepts ads 2fx, which is for solenoids, will this be ok?

any help very much appreciated.

colin

Smithy, you don't have to setup the decoder in RM at all, only the points in track design and it doesn't matter what decoder you use with them.  Having set up the point, simply switch the decoder to program mode, throw the point as you have described, switch back to run mode and it is done.

You can download the full guide fro the decoder from the DCC Concepts site. 

Archived