DCC Point Motor Fitting - Some Problems

jwb10101

Hi Everyone, 

I am attempting to fit point motors to my layout using the Hornby E Link + Railmaster with the Hornby Accesory Decoder (R8247).

I have succesfully managed to wire up (I think) the decoder and point motors and when i come to test them, the point motor does work. 

My problem is that the point motor only 'clicks' one way when I click the arrows in Railmaster, when I try to 'click' it back into its position nothing happens. 

Any Ideas? If you need anymore information let me know and I'll post it. 

Thanks in advance! 

Bowsey456

Details of how you have connected the point motor to the decoder would help IE what colour of wire is connected where and which point motors you are using.

Thanks for the reply,

I am using hornby R8014 point motors. Attached are pictures of how I have wired it up. 

/media/tinymce_upload/WP_20150331_002.jpg

Bowsey456

That doesnt look correct!

Hornby use Red and Green as operation and Black as the common.

So on the decoder connect the motors Black wire to the 'C' or 'Comm' terminal. The red and green to the + & - terminals. If the motor tries to operate the wrong way swap the red and green wires around leaving the black in C.

That doesnt look correct!

Hornby use Red and Green as operation and Black as the common.

So on the decoder connect the motors Black wire to the 'C' or 'Comm' terminal. The red and green to the + & - terminals. If the motor tries to operate the wrong way swap the red and green wires around leaving the black in C.

Cheers mate - works perfectly. 

I din't know that Hornby used different wiring standards. 

Thanks, Bowsey456

Hi Again,

I have succesfully got four point motors working thanks to your help through one accesory decoder.

I now have a further 8 to do, I am just wondering how do I programme in the second decoder as Railmaster recognises the second decoder as the same device/model as the first, how do i get the software to understand that this is a different decoder that is going to control different points.

If you need more info let me know!

Thanks,

Bowsey456

I suspect that you have to disconnect the first one, re-programme the second one to different numbers, then disconnect that, and re-programme no three to some other numbers, Then re-connect the othe two and see if they work on the proper channels!

I'm probably wrong, though, because I prefer to manually switch the points from a 'ghost' board, and not e-link etc, then I have a visual indication of where the points are supposed to be set!

Refer to page 73 of the RM manual.

• Connect your second R8247 decoder to the programming output of your controller.
  • In RM click on the accessory decoder icon (top row with symbol for a signal and a point on it).
  • Type in the point number you require in port number 1. If you have left the first R8247 as default ports 1-4, then type 5 in the output port number 1 position.
  • Click the pull down arrow in the chose decoder box and select R8247 Accessory Decoder.
  • Click the write to decoder icon (pencil on bottom left hand side).

Disconnect R8247 from the programming output of controller and reconnect to the main track output of the controller.

Now refer to page 87 of your RM manual for the following part.

In your track plan, right click the point control icon of the point that you want to assign as point 5.

In the configuration box that opens select point options as appropriate for example

• Controller = A (assuming that you only have one DCC controller.
  • Port = 5
  • Type = Hornby R8247 4 port decoder
  • Start Up Position = Left or Right (your choice)
  • Click X to close box

Repeat above as neccessary for point 6, 7 & 8

• Save Track Plan
  • In main System setting configuration box (click on cog icon top left row of RM)
  • Set your track plan as the default start up plan
  • Open RM normally.
  • Test points by clicking point icon buttons for point 5, 6, 7 & 8

Refer to page 73 of the RM manual.

• Connect your second R8247 decoder to the programming output of your controller.
  • In RM click on the accessory decoder icon (top row with symbol for a signal and a point on it).
  • Type in the point number you require in port number 1. If you have left the first R8247 as default ports 1-4, then type 5 in the output port number 1 position.
  • Click the pull down arrow in the chose decoder box and select R8247 Accessory Decoder.

Disconnect R8247 from the programming output of controller and reconnect to the main track output of the controller.

Now refer to page 87 of your RM manual for the following part.

In your track plan, right click the point control icon of the point that you want to assign as point 5.

In the configuration box that opens select point options as appropriate for example

• Controller = A (assuming that you only have one DCC controller.
  • Port = 5
  • Type = Hornby R8247 4 port decoder
  • Start Up Position = Left or Right (your choice)
  • Click X to close box

Repeat above as neccessary for point 6, 7 & 8

• Save Track Plan
  • In main System setting configuration box (click on cog icon top left row of RM)
  • Set your track plan as the default start up plan
  • Open RM normally.
  • Test points by clicking point icon buttons for point 5, 6, 7 & 8

Thanks so much, really is appreciated! 

Will test tomorrow but sure will work. 

Thanks,

bowsey456

I suspect that you have to disconnect the first one, re-programme the second one to different numbers, then disconnect that, and re-programme no three to some other numbers, Then re-connect the othe two and see if they work on the proper channels!

I'm probably wrong, though, because I prefer to manually switch the points from a 'ghost' board, and not e-link etc, then I have a visual indication of where the points are supposed to be set!

Thanks for the help! 

Bowsey456

Further to my first reply: I wrote:

I should have added this note:

You only have to input a point address for port 1 (point address 5 in the above documented example). When you click the 'pencil' write to decoder button. Ports 2, 3 & 4 are automatically assigned point addresses 6, 7 & 8 in the background without any input needed from you.

For the third R8247, the first port would be configured by you as point address 9, thus ports 2, 3 & 4 will be automatically assigned point addresses 10, 11 & 12.

All R8247s should have their port 1 assigned point addresses in multiples of four. For example 1, 5, 9, 13, 17 etc. Some users suggest leaving the default address of 1-4 unused and start their point numbering scheme with a higher number. The reason for this is documented on other threads on this forum, but at the end of the day your numbering scheme is your choice.

NOTE: Some users have reported that for trouble free programming of a R8247 that has come straight out of the box. The R8247 should first be connected to the main track output of your controller for 30-60 seconds to charge up internal components. After this initial charging period then disconnect from the main output and reconnect to the programming output. Whether this makes a material difference or not is not proven, but it can't do any harm to comply with the suggestion to minimise risk of programming failure.

Chris, maybe my memory is going but I can't seem to remember anyone but you saying and 8247 needs charging before programming. It certainly used to be the case for an 8216, the previous model, but I have this inkling I've seen that the programming output has been changed so that this isn't necessary either.  Anyway, as you say, can't hurt, especially if you are already having trouble programming them. 

Fishman,

That's precisely why I have been very careful to write it the way I have. I remember reading about the charging up issue about two years ago when I was researching DCC for myself. Being two years ago, I too cannot be completely sure from memory whether it was the R8216 or the R8247 I was reading about. But given that so many people report problems with programming the current R8247s, I felt it warranted making the comment, caveated that it may not be a proven issue, and as you have acknowledged, it can't do any harm.

PS - I can't remember where I read it, but it may NOT have even been on this particular forum.

Archived