Older style Hornby Class 37.No 37424

kev_marsh

Hi

Could anybody help me to convert my older style class 37 to DCC.

Having looked at it I am confused, it has had directional lights fitted by somebody else, and the wireing appears to be, black from motor to front none driven boggy with a further 2 black wires from this boggy to the led lights. The 2 red wires from the other side of the motor goes to the 2 led lights led.

Is the none driven boggy "live" ? 

How do I fit the DCC decoder?

My Lims class 37 was so easy to do

Please help as having retired I have taken up my childhood hobby again at the age of 62 and I am loving it just as much.

Regards

Kevin

Hi Kev, was the other one easy because it is DCC ready and you just had to plug the decoder into a socket?  Or did you have to solder?

I've found your loco on the Hornby Guide site but it only has service sheets 105 for the bogie, not the sheet with the connections from track to lights and the Ringfiled (can't make my iPad say field instead of filed!) motor.  This is a problem as there are 3 types with different wiring.

Can I suggest you go the the Brian Lambert site (Google it), to his DCC section and in there are instructions for converting all 3 types.  You also have to disconnect your lights from the track wires and connect them to the directional track lighting function outputs from the decoder.  Brian has instructions for this too.

Hi Kev, was the other one easy because it is DCC ready and you just had to plug the decoder into a socket?  Or did you have to solder?

I've found your loco on the Hornby Guide site but it only has service sheets 105 for the bogie, not the sheet with the connections from track to lights and the Ringfiled (can't make my iPad say field instead of filed!) motor.  This is a problem as there are 3 types with different wiring.

Can I suggest you go the the Brian Lambert site (Google it), to his DCC section and in there are instructions for converting all 3 types.  You also have to disconnect your lights from the track wires and connect them to the directional track lighting function outputs from the decoder.  Brian has instructions for this too.

Hi

The other one (Lima class37) was easy and I had to solder the wires as no plug fitted. Also there was loads of info on this type of conversion. But thanks very much for the link I will look and let you know how I get on

Archived