E link programming on the main

stephen_littlejohn

I don't think that is possible Stephen. 

Perhaps the only way is to remove all loco's except the one you want to program and swap the 'main' power feed from the 'track' sockets to the programming sockets thereby making the whole layout a programming track. No idea whether that would work though.

I have a short - 18" - length of track wired seperately on both my play layout and the exhibition one. Sorts the problem admirably :)

Morning.

I'm not sure if this is the same situation I had as I'm a newbie to railmaster & DCC myself but, I had a problem with programming a new loco that I bought yesterday. In the end I did just as Tony said above and swapped the connections on the controller from track to program and only had the loco I was programming on the track.

By doing htis I could write the CV files to the loco and it worked perfectly.

Hope this helps.

I don't think that is possible Stephen. 

Perhaps the only way is to remove all loco's except the one you want to program and swap the 'main' power feed from the 'track' sockets to the programming sockets thereby making the whole layout a programming track. No idea whether that would work though.

I have a short - 18" - length of track wired seperately on both my play layout and the exhibition one. Sorts the problem admirably :)

Thanks the issue is that the loco cannot be programmed using the programming feed from the controller it has to be done using the main track feed.  My other controller which is an NCE allows this to be done but I can't find the instruction through the software to do this with elink.  Hornby can you assist?

I for one would be interested to know the brand and model number of the loco (or the decoder fitted as an after market upgrade inside it) that you say can only be programmed on the main track controller output as that seems a very unusual requirement. I would like to learn more about it.

I take it, the question does not relate to the physical programming track connection to the e-link. Because all you would need to do is disconnect your track feed from the track output of the e-link and plug your portable programming track directly to the e-link track output. I will post a photo of my portable programming track in a minute, it may give you some ideas.

The above is the easy bit. I think your real question is how do you engage an 'Operate' programming mode (see further below for details) from within RM as all the built in RM programming software functions route their commands to the e-link programming output. I appreciate you don't have an Elite controller you have e-link, but the Elite has an 'Operate' programming mode that allows programming of a loco decoder on the main track. As far as I can tell, looking at the RM manual. The Elite 'Operate' mode is not replicated in RM and e-link.

As I see it your options are:

• Upgrade your e-link to an Elite.
  • Borrow a suitable controller or take your loco to someone who has one.
  • Replace your decoder with one that can be programmed on the programming track.

Below is an extract from the Elite user manual relating to supported programming modes.

Reg, Paged and Direct modes.

The development of DCC control can be traced back to the mid to late 1970s and over the years has advanced from having basic capabilities to today’s multi-functioning units. Early decoders had 8 ‘Registers’ for storing basic configuration information, e.g. locomotive address, acceleration / deceleration, etc. Programming these early decoders was carried out in Reg mode.

For decoders to become more sophisticated it was necessary to expand the number of Registers supported. This led to the development of the concept of CVs and Paged mode programming.1024 CVs could now be supported, however read-back of a decoder’s CVs in Paged mode was a complex process and slow in practice. Further advancements were made resulting in Direct mode.

Modern decoders using Direct mode programming which supports faster read-back response, etc.This is now the preferred mode for decoder programming.

The Elite supports all three programming modes described above, consequently the Elite will support a wide range of decoder types.

All the above 3 programming modes are carried out with the locomotive placed on a dedicated Programming Track.

Locomotives placed on the Programming Track can be both programmed and read-back. (Providingthe decoder supports Read-Back.).

Operate mode.

It is also possible to programme CVs while a locomotive is on the Main Track. To do this a special programming mode is used. This 4th mode is called Operate mode.

Locomotives on the Main Track may be programmed using Operate mode, however most decoders cannot be ‘read back’ unless they support RailCom®.

Note: If a decoder supports RailCom® it must be enabled in the decoder, see CV29 on page 29.

RailCom® is a technology supporting bi-directional communication between a decoder and the controller and has been developed by Lenz Elektronik GmbH.

RailCom® allows a Sapphire decoder to report back to the Elite fuel levels when Fuel Simulation is operational.

Operate mode is typically used for adjusting a locomotives acceleration / deceleration and setting default direction, etc. while the locomotive is under control on the Main Track and is stationary.

Stephen,

I have just spotted a line in your follow up reply "My other controller which is an NCE allows this to be done". The obvious solution is to set the NCE up on the work bench with a small piece of track connected and program your loco on that before placing the loco on the layout. it doesn't look as if it is possible to do it with the RM e-link combo as documented in my previous reply.

As mentioned in previous reply. A photo of my portable programming track. The banana plugs fit into sockets mounted near my control panel that are wired to my controller program output. The croc clips just give additional optional connection flexibility to allow me to use prog track for other things. The wooden base started life as a length of 2 x 2 before being carved to shape and buffers made from stiff neoprene rubber fitted.

/media/tinymce_upload/100_0650.JPG

I for one would be interested to know the brand and model number of the loco (or the decoder fitted as an after market upgrade inside it) that you say can only be programmed on the main track controller output as that seems a very unusual requirement. I would like to learn more about it.

I take it, the question does not relate to the physical programming track connection to the e-link. Because all you would need to do is disconnect your track feed from the track output of the e-link and plug your portable programming track directly to the e-link track output. I will post a photo of my portable programming track in a minute, it may give you some ideas.

The above is the easy bit. I think your real question is how do you engage an 'Operate' programming mode (see further below for details) from within RM as all the built in RM programming software functions route their commands to the e-link programming output. I appreciate you don't have an Elite controller you have e-link, but the Elite has an 'Operate' programming mode that allows programming of a loco decoder on the main track. As far as I can tell, looking at the RM manual. The Elite 'Operate' mode is not replicated in RM and e-link.

As I see it your options are:

• Upgrade your e-link to an Elite.
  • Borrow a suitable controller or take your loco to someone who has one.
  • Replace your decoder with one that can be programmed on the programming track.

Below is an extract from the Elite user manual relating to supported programming modes.

Reg, Paged and Direct modes.

The development of DCC control can be traced back to the mid to late 1970s and over the years has advanced from having basic capabilities to today’s multi-functioning units. Early decoders had 8 ‘Registers’ for storing basic configuration information, e.g. locomotive address, acceleration / deceleration, etc. Programming these early decoders was carried out in Reg mode.

For decoders to become more sophisticated it was necessary to expand the number of Registers supported. This led to the development of the concept of CVs and Paged mode programming.1024 CVs could now be supported, however read-back of a decoder’s CVs in Paged mode was a complex process and slow in practice. Further advancements were made resulting in Direct mode.

Modern decoders using Direct mode programming which supports faster read-back response, etc.This is now the preferred mode for decoder programming.

The Elite supports all three programming modes described above, consequently the Elite will support a wide range of decoder types.

All the above 3 programming modes are carried out with the locomotive placed on a dedicated Programming Track.

Locomotives placed on the Programming Track can be both programmed and read-back. (Providingthe decoder supports Read-Back.).

Operate mode.

It is also possible to programme CVs while a locomotive is on the Main Track. To do this a special programming mode is used. This 4th mode is called Operate mode.

Locomotives on the Main Track may be programmed using Operate mode, however most decoders cannot be ‘read back’ unless they support RailCom®.

Note: If a decoder supports RailCom® it must be enabled in the decoder, see CV29 on page 29.

RailCom® is a technology supporting bi-directional communication between a decoder and the controller and has been developed by Lenz Elektronik GmbH.

RailCom® allows a Sapphire decoder to report back to the Elite fuel levels when Fuel Simulation is operational.

Operate mode is typically used for adjusting a locomotives acceleration / deceleration and setting default direction, etc. while the locomotive is under control on the Main Track and is stationary.

Hi,

thanks all useful info but perhaps a lesson for me on clarity of a question.

The chip that requires the programming on the main is the mylocosound chip, I am trying one as they are good value in terms of price.  There is a website that will come up on a search, I have installed it in a hornby class 101 dmu as a test and to get the sound right I need to adjust a number of CVs until it matches my ear.

i have the facility to programme on the main with lenz or NCE and have programming tracks and rolling roads for my installations.  I like the way elink programming works and have an extra setup in my workshop for installation programming and repair.

So I suppose the question should have been specifically can the elink be used for programming on the main, Ops mode and if so how. I have read the manual and searched the net but can't find anything on it.  As you say it is a bit of an unusual requirement.

Stephen,

I think you will be very pleased that you reiterated your question with the extra detail in your last post. I copy below a post made elsewhere on this forum. Link to the original post also included below (5th reply down on the page). Read the pasted extract (bold highlight) and I think you will be pleasantly surprised. As you say. Clarity of question is all important. I could have pointed you to this other post a lot earlier.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/post/view/topic_id/8486/?p=3

Pasted post extract follows:

Hi. My name is Peter Lucas and I am the CEO of MyLocoSound in Australia. I have only just become aware of this thread.

We have a Railmaster-eLink in our test area so we can provide support advice for customers on that combination. However, we do not have an Elite.

There have been a couple of past issues with our decoders in relation to RailMaster.

First, we found with some motors that a loco going forwards could keep on creeping forwards when brought to a halt. A quick fix for this is to set acceleration and deceleration (CVs 3 and 4) to zero and the problem will go away. Alternatively, customers can return the decoders to our distributor in Norwich who will update the software free of charge and this will permanently fix the problem.

We also had some reports of Railmaster writing CVs to our decoders okay but failing to read CVs. Again, we have found the cause and a free update is available for affected decoders.

If anyone has any other specific problem, could they please email me at sales@mylocosound.com.

Thanks

Peter

Stephen,

I think you will be very pleased that you reiterated your question with the extra detail in your last post. I copy below a post made elsewhere on this forum. Link to the original post also included below (5th reply down on the page). Read the pasted extract (bold highlight) and I think you will be pleasantly surprised. As you say. Clarity of question is all important. I could have pointed you to this other post a lot earlier.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/post/view/topic_id/8486/?p=3

Pasted post extract follows:

Hi. My name is Peter Lucas and I am the CEO of MyLocoSound in Australia. I have only just become aware of this thread.

We have a Railmaster-eLink in our test area so we can provide support advice for customers on that combination. However, we do not have an Elite.

There have been a couple of past issues with our decoders in relation to RailMaster.

First, we found with some motors that a loco going forwards could keep on creeping forwards when brought to a halt. A quick fix for this is to set acceleration and deceleration (CVs 3 and 4) to zero and the problem will go away. Alternatively, customers can return the decoders to our distributor in Norwich who will update the software free of charge and this will permanently fix the problem.

We also had some reports of Railmaster writing CVs to our decoders okay but failing to read CVs. Again, we have found the cause and a free update is available for affected decoders.

If anyone has any other specific problem, could they please email me at sales@mylocosound.com.

Thanks

Peter

Thanks, a near miss but a slightly different subject

Stephen,

I obviously didn't make myself clear enough. Normally, clarity is my middle name. Since Mylocosound have a RailMaster / e-link test rig. Then they should know if that rig supports an equivalent 'Operate' programming mode, and if so how to invoke it. Plus Peter Lucas is obviously opening his door to anyone with other specific problems.

I was suggesting you took up his offer, perhaps mentioning it in the mail e.g highlighting your mail is as a result of his Hornby forum post, and directing your question about RM / e-link decoder configuration options for their decoders directly to him.

Just for clarity, eLink doesn't program anything, RM does.  All eLink does is pass RM running commands to the track output and programming commands to the programming output. 

This is is where Elite is different.  It can program on its own in the modes that Chris has explained, or it can pass on RM commands like the eLink does.

Hi I have a chip that needs to be programmed on the main and am struggling to find how this can be done using elink, does anyone know?

thanks

Hi Stephen,

I'm still not clear why you need to program on the main. I'm currently testing a MyLocoSound decoder using Railmaster / Elite, and the decoder programs ok on a programming track.

Ray

Hi I have a chip that needs to be programmed on the main and am struggling to find how this can be done using elink, does anyone know?

thanks

Hi Stephen,

I'm still not clear why you need to program on the main. I'm currently testing a MyLocoSound decoder using Railmaster / Elite, and the decoder programs ok on a programming track.

Ray                   OOPS how are there two copies of my post???

• 4 weeks later...

I assume that it is because if you wire it up as it should be ie track o/p  to running track and prog o/p to programming track it won't work. That is because the e-link only sends the programming information to the prog output. There is nothing to stop you connecting the prog o/p to the running track and SO LONG AS THE ONLY LOCO YOU WANT TO PROGRAM IS ON THE RUNNING TRACK you can do it. BUT as others have asked, why would you want to?

Why would he want to - Stephens requirement sounds just like the way Hornby recommend you set up sound levels in TTS locos - on the main in Operate mode (controller limitations excepted).

Hornby say to set the basic volume setting first then fine tune on the main track, these changes occur instantly so you can better gauge the effect.

It's not just sound decoder programming you can do on the main, you can set other things like accel/decel this way but not the full range of CVs, but only if your controller supports Operate mode, which Elite does and eLink doesn't. 

Archived