1960's/70's plastic signals

The son of Triangman

• 2 months later...

Although I would concur that the older style of signals (like the gantry illustrated) look much better and are more in proportion than the later (current) ones, and I would like to see them back in the Railroad range (and with perhaps the Tri-ang type tubular metal post  for stop and distant) I do think there ALSO needs to be some proper scale sized signals added to the main range as well.

Signals are one of the most important unique integral parts of railway infrastructure and with the main range now reaching great heights in detail, the crude and hopelessly overscale signals are quite frankly a joke. We can buy beautiful detailed and authentic resin cast buildings, but no realistic signals to protect our stations or be operated from our signalboxes.

It should be possible to produce DCC controlled stop signals to scale and in proportion. I am not advocating a huge range of patterns, but a simple stop signal  based upon the LMS / LNE tubular steel post with upper quadrant arms ought to be a good place to start from. Maybe a GW lower quadrant stop signal could also be included later.  Similarly a bog standard three aspect colour light signal to scale with LED aspects and operated via a DCC module ought not to be outside the range of posibility. In fact it might be possible to use DCC for signal control even on a DC layout.

Archived