Station Announcements - LIST OF WORD(S) REQUIRED ONLY

Guys,

I know this discussion kinda fizzled out a couple of weeks ago, but it occurred to me to ask why nobody has mentioned the possibility of creating their own sound files.  I managed to do this last year when I first started out with Railmaster and I was quite pleased with the result.  To coin a phrase, I was chuffed!

However, since then my laptop went kaput and by the time I got and fitted a new part (that didn't solve the problem), eventually replaced the laptop and managed to come to terms with Windows 8.1, more than 6 months had passed and I now can't remember how I created the sound file.  I have still to retrieve the file from the old laptop.

So, while I may have to research how to do this all over again, wouldn't it be much better than asking for station announcements to be provided with Railmaster, as it would be almost impossible to provide enough flexibility to satisfy everyone.

... So, while I may have to research how to do this all over again ...

Sounds a good idea Stephen, could I suggest when you have completed your research on how to do it, that you post the steps on here.

Actually, I was kinda hoping someone else might have done this as well and that they would set me on the right track again (pun not intended).

However, now that I've walked myself into it, I'll have to see what I can do, but I won't make any rash promises as to when it might be.  If and when I do have something that might be of interest to others, I certainly wouldn't mind sharing it here.

Well RDS, I promised to see what I could do to figure out (for the second time) how to create my own announcements and, after much trial and error, I have some information which I hope you and others will find useful.

Basics

The first thing to understand is that announcements, or other recorded sounds, can be played using small programs that run the relevant audio files in the required sequence.  A large number of audio files are supplied with RailMaster, comprising specific announcements and background noises, as well as sounds associated with trains and the Public Address (PA) system.  Some sample programs are also supplied, which can be run from the main screen to get an idea of what is possible and the instructions within the programs can be viewed to see how each individual step is performed.  These are extremely useful in demonstrating how easy it is to construct your own programs and to play any pre-recorded sounds that you have available.

Test Announcement

For my test, I wanted a station announcement of an impending train arrival, specifying the platform, the scheduled departure time and the destination.  To do this, I needed to (a) create an audio file containing the message itself and (b) construct a simple program to play this file, preceded by the supplied PA system chimes.

Audio Recording Software

It appears that Windows 8.1 provides 2 separate audio recording programs and, confusingly, both are called Sound Recorder.  One is listed as an App (tablet optimised, according to Wikipedia), while the second is considered to be a Windows Accessory.   Both appear to be very basic, offering no functionality to enhance the recorded sound.  Nonetheless, I decided to use the latter.

(Unfortunately, I have been unable to remember or identify what software I used in my previous efforts to create my own announcements, but I do recall that I was able to add some Reverb, in order to make it sound more realistic.  If suitable software is available, I would strongly recommend adding this effect.)

Creating an Audio File

Before I made the recording, I decided precisely what should be specified in the message.  (Others may find it advisable to write down what is to be said, as it helps to ensure that the announcement comes across as authoritative.)

I attached a microphone to the audio input socket on my laptop and opened Sound Recorder.  I then pressed the Start Recording button, recorded my announcement and, when finished, immediately pressed the Stop Recording button.  This resulted in the Save As screen being displayed, thus allowing me to name the audio file and save it in a folder of my choice.

Sound Recorder (the Windows 8.1 Accessory version) creates audio files in Windows Media Audio (WMA) format and there does not appear to be any facility to store the file in Waveform (WAV) format, as required by RailMaster, so the resultant file needs to be converted.  I chose to use a free service available on Zamzar.com, which converted the file for me and returned it via email (usual disclaimers).  I then stored the WAV file as Test Audio.wav in the RailMasterSoundsEnglish folder.

Creating the Program

My program needed two steps (step 1 to play the chimes that precede the message and step 2 to play the message itself) and I referred to the supplied Announcements program as a template.  Using the Edit Program icon on the RailMaster main screen, I created this 2-step program, as follows:

Step 1

START (SECS) – 0

RESOURCE – Program Command (selected from the drop-down list)

INSTRUCTION – Play Sound (selected from the drop-down list) followed by the name/location of

the audio file (selected by pressing the magnifying glass icon),

i.e. C:Program Files (x86)RailMasterSoundsL_3_Chimes.wav

Step 2

START (SECS) – 2

RESOURCE – Program Command (selected from the drop-down list)

INSTRUCTION – Play Sound (selected from the drop-down list) followed by the name/location of

the audio file (selected by pressing the magnifying glass icon),

i.e. C:Program Files (x86)RailMasterSoundsEnglishTest Audio.wav

I then saved the program (as Test Announcement) and exited back to the main screen.  This program name is automatically added to the list of available programs for running from the main screen.

Final Thought

Personally, I feel that using a combination of RM-supplied sounds and my own recordings to create station announcements that are appropriate to my layout, in terms of the quoted services, platforms, departure times, etc., is a very rewarding exercise that will add a huge amount of enjoyment.  If anyone can suggest alternative software that allows the addition of Reverb and, thus, make the announcements sound more realistic, I would be very grateful for the information.

Stephen

The 1st thing that strikes me is RM has L & R versions of all their files so you can play (channel) it through the speaker at the appropriate end of the layout.

I don't suppose the Windows sound recorder is capable enough to be able to record in mono and allow you to save as L or R channel files.

This is a versatile free sound recorder: http://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/

Hi Stephen,  the software you used previously may have been "Audacity". It is free to download and use. I've created some sound files myself and programmed them in RM.

BTW, you say you plugged a mic into the laptop - many laptops, like tablets, come with a mic built in - did you check?

Well RDS, I promised to see what I could do ...

Hi Stephen

Thank you, you have obviously put a lot of work into both your method and then writing it up for others to benefit from your experience.

I hope that others do benefit from your work but also that you find it a good source of reference for the future as well.  I have a few write up's that I have done for various tasks and I either follow them again or make subtle changes.  I do find it useful to write these down though and I hope you will too.

RAF/TWD - Audacity sounds familiar - thanks for the help.

TWD - yes my laptop does have a built-in mic but I didn't actually confirm this until I had finished.  I decided to leave the post, as some others may have to use an external mic and I also thought that it would be a little easier to get up close to the mic, which might better emulate a PA system.

RDS - thank you for those kind words and it is definitely a benefit to have documented the process, although perhaps the level of detail is a bit more than would have been necessary for that purpose alone.  I haven't done that before but I do keep lists of ideas, inspiration and tips that I have come across in magazine articles and of relevant information sources, including pics and videos, on the internet.

SInce joining this forum fairly recently, I have added to the latter list several times thanks to many posts from yourselves and others, so it's good to be able to make a little contribution myself.

P.S. I have just added the URL for Audacity to my list of useful sites.

• 8 months later...

My exhibition layout, Boghampton, has 13 platform announcements Covering all the departures from the four platforms. 

They were recorded by my Grandaughter on my I-pad and will be played via bluetooth from the I-pad to a small battery powered speaker placed behind a building next to one of the platforms. 

Not yet tried it at an exhibition (Sileby at the end of February will be the first time) but those that have heard them seem impressed!

Arrival announcements may be recorded if the departures are successful.

Archived