ESU Dynamis Switch Point Decoder 36-561 Setup

Can anyone help!

I have installed the ESU Dynamis Switch point decoder 36-561, I have run the install decoder program on Railmaster, it says it cannot read the decoder, but when it has finished I can use the hornby point motor R8014 but the surface mounted motor R8243 will not work. 

I have a 15V dc seperate power supply to the decoder.

I have changed the wiring to heavier wire, swaped the point motors around to other ports. still only the R8014 works. All the Motors work manually switched.

R.TK

These 36-561 (ESU SwitchPilot) decoders have been the subject of many posts on this forum. I bring your attention to a particular previous post linked below.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/post/view/topic_id/9165/?p=2

I vaguely remember other posts that reported that the R8243 seemed to need more power (higher voltage/current) to operate than the R8014. If you read the linked post above, that forum member's issue was resolved by increasing the decoder operating voltage from 15v to 19.5v using an old laptop 19.5v 3.3A power supply. I suspect your external pwer supply at 15v is too low a voltage and/or current rating. The 36-561 decoder does not have an integral CDU (Capacitor Discharge Unit) to provide the high current pulse necessary to fire a solenoid point motor reliably, therefore all the point motor firing voltage/current has to come from the attached power supply. Thus, it is necessary to have a powerful PSU to perform this function. The 15volts of your supply is probably on the limit of just firing the R8014 motor, but insufficient for the R8243.

R.TK

These 36-561 (ESU SwitchPilot) decoders have been the subject of many posts on this forum. I bring your attention to a particular previous post linked below.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/post/view/topic_id/9165/?p=2

I vaguely remember other posts that reported that the R8243 seemed to need more power (higher voltage/current) to operate than the R8014. If you read the linked post above, that forum member's issue was resolved by increasing the decoder operating voltage from 15v to 19.5v using an old laptop 19.5v 3.3A power supply. I suspect your external pwer supply at 15v is too low a voltage and/or current rating. The 36-561 decoder does not have an integral CDU (Capacitor Discharge Unit) to provide the high current pulse necessary to fire a solenoid point motor reliably, therefore all the point motor firing voltage/current has to come from the attached power supply. Thus, it is necessary to have a powerful PSU to perform this function. The 15volts of your supply is probably on the limit of just firing the R8014 motor, but insufficient for the R8243.

Thanks for that info, I have a 15v 5amp laptop power supply, would that be OK to use or is the voltage still to low.

R.TK,

By all means try it and see, but in general it appears to be the voltage that is more important than the current. If it works it works. If not, nothing lost, then look instead for a 19 volt laptop supply. You should be able to pick one up for about £15 on Amazon. You can find them listed for less than £15 but personally I would try to go for one marked up as "Genuine" and/or a recognised brand. The really cheap ones risk being dangerous fire hazard counterfeit clones.

I found with my Peco solenoid point motors I needed a minimum of 18 volts for robust reliable and consistent trouble free operation.

• 5 months later...

Archived