South Notts Show

Thanks to everyone involved at this weekends show..

My layout was well received and with thanks to Hornby my Railmaster/elink setup worked faultlessly.

No brickbats for Hornby from me this weekend, I was very pleased with the way it worked.

Tony

That's good to hear. Now back to trying to solve the Handheld issues?

AM

Hi AM... Handhelds...  I have a theory about that...

let us assume that to use an Ipad or equivqlent one needs some sort of connection between the handheld and the laptop...

what about I take a router, not connected to the internet, and use the wireless capabilities of the ipad, router and laptop? 

The internet is only really needed to update and register/activate, but by having a router in the equation there should be the IP addresses available to connect the handheld and the laptop...

i may try it at some stage, bit the basic setup worked faultlessly over the 2-1/2 days of the exhibition.

Hi AM... Handhelds...  I have a theory about that...

let us assume that to use an Ipad or equivqlent one needs some sort of connection between the handheld and the laptop...

what about I take a router, not connected to the internet, and use the wireless capabilities of the ipad, router and laptop? 

The internet is only really needed to update and register/activate, but by having a router in the equation there should be the IP addresses available to connect the handheld and the laptop...

i may try it at some stage, bit the basic setup worked faultlessly over the 2-1/2 days of the exhibition.

Tony,

As Fishy says - you do need internet connectivity to get HH to work. It is slightly strange that you can run RM without internet access, but not HH.  If there is WIFI at the exhibition site, logging in both your notebook and the HH might work, but I would guess that the lag times would be to large to make it successful. Worth a test to see if it would work though.

I was tinkering with the idea that you could "tether" a smartphone to your laptop and use that to access the internet. It is possible to create your own wireless hotspot see http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/ask-our-expert/can-i-tether-my-android-phone-to-my-laptop. I think that would work, and you shouldn't hit your mobile data allowance too hard. Battery life might be an issue, but I assume that you would have recharging facilities readily to hand. I have no personal experience of doing it this way - perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me could give further guidance.

AM

Archived