Trouble setting up locos

I'm having trouble setting up a couple of locos using RM / eLink.

I've changed two locos to #0001 and #0002 which function perfectly.

When I try to set the other two to #0004 and #0005 they don't function at all on the main track although all appears normal when being read and written to on the program track.

The first two locos have their original Hornby decoders.

The third has a Hatton's 8 pin direct decoder and the fourth has a Gaugemaster 8 pin direct decoder.

When I create a #0003 loco ID the last two locos run on the main track at the same time as though nothing has been changed.

I've gone through the exact same procedure each time so am puzzled why there is a different outcome.

Hi Norman,

What are the digits which appear in the Status/string column? On mine, the first two numbers seem always to be 99 20, the third number is the number of the CV and the fourth is the value of the CV. I've no idea what the fifth number represents. When you change the loco address in CV1 does it also change the extended address CVs in CV17 and CV18?

Ray

Mmmm that does seem strange. So if you set it 0003 it works but not if you set it to 0004 or 0005? I think the next thing I would try is setting CV8 to 8 - that resets the decoder back to factory settings w ith loco ID of 3.

I use the Hatton decoders myself and the only anomoly I've found is that Railmaster sometimes doesn't recognise the manufacturer ID and gives a message something like " Decoder type not in database". If that happens you can usually acknowledge the message and the CV programming continues as normal.

Different things to try:

Write 4 into CV 1 and try it

Write 04 into CV1 and try it

Write 004 into CV 1 and try it

Write 0004 into CV 1 and try it

Use the special button for writing long CV numbers and put 0004 into the box and try it

After that I'm running out of ideas but I do have a brand new Hattons 8-pin still in packaging I can have a play with. Let me know how you get on with above first.

Thanks for your responses.

I didn't reply sooner since it's been sleeping time in Oz.

I will get round to trying what you suggest shortly, but first-

I forgot to mention that when I click on the change loco ID symbol the Change Loco ID box does not fully open, only the top section with the ID numbers and about 2mm of the red cross and green tick buttons (I presume as I can't see them but I am just able to click what I think is the tick as it changes the number in the loco setting window)

When I put 4 into CV1 it automatically changed the value to 004 then when it started reading it changed it again to 003.

Hi Norman,

Lets make absolutely sure whats happening here. You put 004 into the box for CV1. Which button do you press next - the green tick or the one at the left end of the row of buttons along the bottom?

The green tick is only for reading CVs - the bottom left button is for writing the value you have typed in to that CV.

Ray

I tick the button with the pencil symbol to write to the loco.

I've just got 0004 working.

I went into the CV after it had finished reading all of the data and changed value 1 to 0004 which appears to have worked. 

I will now try with 0005.

Archived