programming track

hello  all

just reading  up  on dcc  and  i am getting  the hornby  western master 2 moro

just  wonderd  what  they mean  by  a programming  track  

do  they  just  mean  a section of track  not  connected  to the  main  track

could  i just  use  say  2 long pieces  of track  and  a dcc  power track  piece  and  i take  it  this is  what  i use  for  writing  the  cvs  and changing  loco  numbers

cheers

dave

Hodor, hi, When you buy a big set with more than one loco, they come from factory, all with CV 3, which means, you will need to change one of them to for example, no 4, to run them together without problems. Your controller comes with 2 sets terminels, one for Layout, one for prog track. black wires for prog track 2 pieces joined together is enough for prog track, which is totally seperate from layout. It is here, on prog track, where you place loco to change cv no. It is better to change both, once you have mastered technique, as next loco, you buy, will again be cv3, regardless of make. I would run both locos, seperately, to make sure they are perfect, before trying to change cv, for which, you may need our help, I did. john.

Hodor, hi, When you buy a big set with more than one loco, they come from factory, all with CV 3, which means, you will need to change one of them to for example, no 4, to run them together without problems. Your controller comes with 2 sets terminels, one for Layout, one for prog track. black wires for prog track 2 pieces joined together is enough for prog track, which is totally seperate from layout. It is here, on prog track, where you place loco to change cv no. It is better to change both, once you have mastered technique, as next loco, you buy, will again be cv3, regardless of make. I would run both locos, seperately, to make sure they are perfect, before trying to change cv, for which, you may need our help, I did. john.

thanks for the info   i  am sure  i  will  need more  help  later on lol

Just for clarity, it is loco IDs that you change.  Yes, the IDs are held in CVs, and which CVs depends on whether you are using 2 (short) or 4 (long) IDs.  But in the first instance, you don't need to know which CV, just use the changing ID instructions.

And if you want to know more about setting up, read one of the 2 detailed help guides in the 2 threads at the top of this forum.

Archived