Point Motors

i am thinking about using point motors and an accessory decoder so that I can control my points on railmaster. I have the digital electric clips and am just wondering which point motors would be best. I was thinking about getting the dcc concepts digital point motors as it is cheap and I don't really want surface mounted point motors

advice?

It really is a matter of personal choice which you use. My personal opinion is that slow action motors, of which the DCC Concepts Cobalt is one of at least 3 available, are better, but again, my preference.  Many on here run solenoid motors without problem, including Hornby's surface mount and under board types, and Peco, and Seep and I don't know what else.  You should also find the Cobalts easy to set up and operate with RM.

Hornby's R8014 can be fitted under track or if baseboard framing is in the way surface mounted and either hidden in the R8015 Point Motor housing or another lineside building or built-up landscaping. They are however solenoid-type which means the click-clack when they are activated.

The DCC Concepts point motors are the slow action which many prefer not only because they work more prototypically but also they are! I intend to use some of these when I make alayout :)

Hi Fishy. SHould have known you'd beat me to it with a more comprehensive answer. :)

Hornby's R8014 ...

... The DCC Concepts point motors are the slow action which many prefer not only because they work more prototypically but also they are! I intend to use some of these when I make alayout :)

But also they are quiet! sigh, keyboard trouble

I was a bit disappointed that you could still hear them, albeit nowhere near as much as snap over points, though. I thought they might be virtually silent. It would certainly cost me a bit to change over to them on my layout, even though I have lots of money.

Sorry, Fishy, but they would have to be solid gold for me, not just cheap plated gold.

I must admit, I do prefer the concept of slow action point motors but, as I said, I would have to change so many on my layout. It's more the physical effort and yet more time I don't fancy. The click of ordinary point motor switching can certainly detract from a video, though.

Graham, the Gaugemaster/DCC Concepts demo was down using an open frame close I assume to the microphone used by the presenter. The Cobalts will be under the layout muffled by all the rubbish modellers usually hide underneath! Hmmm,that should have read useful resources stored under the layout :)

When I start the 'proper' layout  will use these in the scenic sections closest to where any visitors and other operators can view them.

I have recently purchased the cobalt digital ip slow motion motor and have to say so far I'm impressed, initially I was using tortoise which are larger, also difficult wher there is a space issue e.g the board timber frame etc.  the cobalt has everything u need, even the wire is strong enough to flip the point ove unlike the tortoise, the decoder is built into the cobalt unlike the tortoise where u have to buy a suitable decoder.  The cobalt will work off a variable power supply and this is why we have the ip, "intelligent power" in the name , I have no hesitation in recommending dcc cobalt for slow action point motors if people prefer this.

I have used both types of digital Cobalt point motors, the original and the IP versions, both are brilliant and work really well but make sure you purchase the IP version now. The original has a voltage input problem when programming them using RM. It can be overcome by putting a 100 ohm resistor in one of the DCC input lines but it's just extra work. 

I am intending to use Cobalt iP's on the scenic section of my layout, and it is my next big purchase. One question to those who have fitted them - If using Peco points, did you remove the spring? I have an original Cobalt digital on a test rig, and there was still a distinctive "click" when the point changed. DCC used to recommend this, but said it was not necessary with the iP.

I am intending to use Cobalt iP's on the scenic section of my layout, and it is my next big purchase. One question to those who have fitted them - If using Peco points, did you remove the spring? I have an original Cobalt digital on a test rig, and there was still a distinctive "click" when the point changed. DCC used to recommend this, but said it was not necessary with the iP.

I modified all my points as per DCC Concepts suggested instructions so I cannot tell you if they worked with the spring in or not on either types of motor but why I would suggest doing the full mod DCC recommend is the points look so much more realistic specially after ballasting.

Hi dude, no, and yes.  They have their own decoder on the motor and, being NMRA compliant, they are fine with RM.  you don't need to use RM to program them, just operate them, as programming is done via the switch on the decoder - move the switch to program mode, throw the point you want them to control, switch back to run and they are done.

How would i connect them to Elink?

I assume you are asking this question as your eLink is connected to your track via a push in track power connecting clip and you don't have a separate wired BUS under the baseboard. If this assumption is correct then do the following.

On the DCC Cobalt IP Digital switch motor there are two connection points marked 'DCC in'. These 'DCC in' terminals need to be electrically connected to the track output of your Elite.

Take a pair of wires, ideally ones that you can loosely twist together [about one twist every 2 inches]. This pair of wires then needs to be routed under your baseboard from one DCC Cobalt IP Digital point motor to the next so that all the Cobalt point motors are wired in parallel across these two wires. Use two wires of different colours so that you can keep the 'DCC in' connections the same way round on each point motor. For example colour A on 'DCC in' terminal 1 and colour B on 'DCC in' terminal 2. This pair of wires then route back to your Elite and connect into the same track output connectors that currently connect to your track (track clip?). Wires extracted from some 5 amp mains flex should be OK for this as they only need to carry relatively low currents. The twists minimise the risk of your point motors being affected by interference.

See instruction sheet here

Archived