Is the C7024 transformer (4amp) a P9300?

Jimbo1707820979

I am totally confused (nothing new) on the above matter. Having just bought a used C7024 (Cat. no.SA1960-150400 acc. to the name plate) I find it is outputting OK but will not work on my Select Controller. Only get a blank screen. Yet various dealers online are offering "C7024 / P9300 as a suitable power unit for a Select 8213.

My local dealer called Hornby and they said I needed a P9300 transformer. I thought that was what I had got but is there some slight difference ? The P9300 in the shop, part of an Elite package appears to be a bit shorter.

So it is a mystery so far. Could it be a "rejection" by my particular Select ?

Hi

The C7024 has been replaced by the P9300. They should both do the same job.

Taken from a web site ...

Hornby Digital 4 Amp Multi-Purpose Transformer

Product Code: C7024 Replaced by P9300

Production Details:

4 amp transformer which is capable of providing enough power to run approximately eight locomotives at any one time. Can be used as a replacement for the 1 amp transformer supplied with the select unit to allow the control of more locomotives simultaneously.

I would check that the moulded plug on the end of the low voltage lead is a good and correct fit into the Selects dc input socket.  If you have one use a multimeter set onto its dc voltage range of >20v and see if there is any dc output on the moulded plug measuring on inside tube and the outer barrel parts of the plug.

Jimbo,

This is a continuation of the other post you started "Is it 3 amps or 4?". And as I stated in that post "To be accurate the C7024 is a power supply for Scalextric."

OK you say the C7024 is outputting OK. I assume that you mean that the outer shell of the DC connector is negative and the inner hole connection is positive and the voltage measured is 15 volts. Or at the very least if unable to measure with a meter you have tested with a 12 volt light bulb or something similar as per my suggestion in the other post.

Following pure logic. If the correct voltages are on the DC connector of the C7204 power supply, and when you plug it in to the Select there is zero reaction (no power connecting to the Select) and using the original Select power supply works OK proving that the Select itself is not faulty, and the seller has stated that the C7204 worked on his Select, then logic dictates that there can be only one possible issue. The DC connector of the power supply is not making proper contact with your Select power socket.

This is not the first time I have come across a DC power connector failing to make contact. Try this.

Plug the power supply DC connector into the Select (switched on of course). Now apply pressure with your thumb against the cord end of the DC connector. Do this on all four sides of the connector i.e. North, South, East & West. Press quite hard, does pressure applied in any one direction force a power connection to energise the Select display.

If doing above provides a connection, then there is an an alignment issue with the connector pins. Not ideal but I have in the past inserted a flat blade screwdriver into the socket and ever so slightly bent the centre pin in the socket to achieve a reliable connection. Ideally, the DC connector on the power supply should be changed instead of bending pins. Hornby use a DC connector type known as 'DC Power Plug 6.3mm x 3mm'. An example of one is linked below.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-Power-Plug-6-3mm-x-3-0mm-3mm-/290973890321?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43bf653711

Jimbo,

This is a continuation of the other post you started "Is it 3 amps or 4?". And as I stated in that post "To be accurate the C7024 is a power supply for Scalextric."

OK you say the C7024 is outputting OK. I assume that you mean that the outer shell of the DC connector is negative and the inner hole connection is positive and the voltage measured is 15 volts. Or at the very least if unable to measure with a meter you have tested with a 12 volt light bulb or something similar as per my suggestion in the other post.

Following pure logic. If the correct voltages are on the DC connector of the C7204 power supply, and when you plug it in to the Select there is zero reaction (no power connecting to the Select) and using the original Select power supply works OK proving that the Select itself is not faulty, and the seller has stated that the C7204 worked on his Select, then logic dictates that there can be only one possible issue. The DC connector of the power supply is not making proper contact with your Select power socket.

This is not the first time I have come across a DC power connector failing to make contact. Try this.

Plug the power supply DC connector into the Select (switched on of course). Now apply pressure with your thumb against the cord end of the DC connector. Do this on all four sides of the connector i.e. North, South, East & West. Press quite hard, does pressure applied in any one direction force a power connection to energise the Select display.

If doing above provides a connection, then there is an an alignment issue with the connector pins. Not ideal but I have in the past inserted a flat blade screwdriver into the socket and ever so slightly bent the centre pin in the socket to achieve a reliable connection. Ideally, the DC connector on the power supply should be changed instead of bending pins. Hornby use a DC connector type known as 'DC Power Plug 6.3mm x 3mm'. An example of one is linked below.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-Power-Plug-6-3mm-x-3-0mm-3mm-/290973890321?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43bf653711

Jimbo,

Just for the sake of others reading this post. May I suggest that instead of clicking the BLUE reply button on each individual post, that you scroll down to the bottom of the page. Put your reply in the big white text box and click the GREEN reply button. Each time you press the BLUE button, all the text in the yellow box gets duplicated un-necessarily.

This reply is an example of using the GREEN button. As you can see this reply is easier for others reading the topic thread if it is not buried in reams of duplicated yellow text.

Jimbo,

Have you tried the test I suggested yet. Did it give a definitive result?

Chris

PS - There isn't enough space here on the forum to fully describe how much better the Elite is compared to the Select. The Elite is perfectly at home operating stand-alone without a PC.

For the benefit of others that may have been following this thread and disappointed at not seeing a conclusion. Jimbo did come back with a response but not here. He started a new topic title (again) to put his reply in. You can read it here.

Archived