No Shunting mode: Hornby 08 diesel

philsandy

Well, it is a shunter, so it wouldn't normally be found going at 60 mph down the line!  :-)

I find that mine crawls along very slowly, without pushing any buttons. I can't see that any sounds would change, in 'shunt' mode, and as you cannot physically change gears in it, either, the motor to wheel rpm's will remain unaltered. As far as I know, there are no gears on the 'real' one, other than forward, back, and park.

I was watching one at Arpley yard, last year, trying to get a rake of EWS coal hoppers moving. The driver was using all the power he had to compress the buffers of some of the rake, then slamming into reverse, and 'snatching' the rake, until it reluctantly began to move. The engine was nearly jumping off the track as the tension came onto the couplings - it must have been a rough ride in the cab!

I have a Hornby 08 Digital Sound loco for which the instructions state F6 as being 'Shunting Mode'. When I press F6 my shunter slows down to a crawl. I don't think F6 is supposed to change the sound much.

Thank you for your replies.

I just assumed it would be a sound effect, eg. a change in engine tone for very slow crawling. If it's to alter the speed of the loco (which it doesn't) is that not what the controller throtle is for? The loco runs as smooth as a Swiss watch, I'm using a Powercab and on step 1 it crawls that slow you have to look twice to make sure it is actually moving.

Phil,

Based upon my own experience of F6 shunt mode on my Hornby 08 shunter sound loco. F6 affects the overall speed range. For example run your loco at moderate speed, then hit F6 and see if you detect a visible slow down. I think it is more to do with the higher end of the controller speed range than the lower end. At the end of the day a 'crawl' is a 'crawl' whether in shunting mode or not.

Archived