R3244TTS Duke of Gloucester takes too long to stop and to start running

DCayón

Hi,

Yesterday I bought a new model of the lovely DCC DoG via Amazon, but when I first runned it, I found that it took too long to start moving and then even longer to stop, almost causing an accident.

How can I fix it?

As this is your first post welcome to the forum DC.

What controller do you have? (reason I ask is that to change operating characteristics you would need to read and write CV values. This can not be done with Hornby's 'Select' controller.)

Is this your first sound loco? (reason I ask is that it is quite normal for sound locos to go through a start-up sound sequence before moving off, this sound sequence can sometimes be five seconds or more. I have six sound locos and they all exhibit a delayed start sequence to some extent).

First, thanks for your welcome, and yes, it's my first sound loco, but the sound goes well, the problem is that when I completely stop the controller wheel the locomotive keeps moving for about 15-20 seconds. When it is stoped it takes about 5 second to start running.

My controller is the E-Z Command from Ibertren (I think it's tha same as Bachmann's). There is no liquid screen on it and the maximun number allowed is 10, but although 

First, thanks for your welcome, and yes, it's my first sound loco, but the sound goes well, the problem is that when I completely stop the controller wheel the locomotive keeps moving for about 15-20 seconds. When it is stoped it takes about 5 second to start running.

My controller is the E-Z Command from Ibertren (I think it's tha same as Bachmann's). There is no liquid screen on it and the maximun number allowed is 10, but although 

Sorry, I sent this by mistake. It wasn't finished.

I was saying that, although there is no screen in my controller and the maximun number allowed is 10, I have been able to run the DoG (but obviously not to perform all the sounds, which is no a matter for me because I don't have any layout so far, only some tracks from starter kits. I run my trains in a railway enthusiasts club).

DC,

To me, what you have described seems completely normal for a sound equipped loco. As 2e0 says, you have to drive it with anticipation just like the real thing.

There are CV settings that can tweak the operating characteristics, I have no idea if the EZ command controller is capable of reading and writing them, it may be unlikely if it doesn't have a LCD screen (no screen means you can't see any CV read values). I don't have any TTS locos myself, so it wil be neccessary to wait for a forum member to reply who does have TTS (there are many here) who may be able to suggest what CVs to look at and possibly change.

Something to try in the meantime. Find the function key that turns sound on and off. Typically F1, but may be different on a TTS loco. Switch the sound function off and test again. My sound locos operate far more responsively to start and stop commands with the sound switched off. I don't mean this as turning off sound as a long term solution, just turn it off temporarily. If there is still long start and stop delays with sound off, then that would infer maybe something more serious with your TTS decoder to be looked into.

EDIT. Just had a quick look at the EZ Command user manual on-line. It is a very basic controller, even more basic than Hornbys Select controller. As far as the manual indicates, there are no CV read and write feature capability. If you are goint to tweak your loco CV settings you will need access to a more capable higher spec controller. Maybe someone at your rail club might have one you could gain access to.

And don't forget that real loco's don't stop dead! (Not even when they hit something!) 100 tons or more takes a lot of stopping or starting, and with a rake of rolling stock behind, it can be a 1000 tons!

That's true, but although this loco is very realistic, I don't think it so realistic.

The EZ Command is an extremely limited controller. I would sell it and buy one that can programme CVs.

There is no F1 on the EZ Command Chris. It only has Stop, two Direction buttons, a Function button and a 10 digit number pad.

Hi DC, I'm afraid you are going to have to live with it as it is.  If you take a look at the leaflet that comes with it, page 5, heading 4, CVs 3 and 4, being acceleration and deceleration, they have a default value of 15 each.  That means the loco takes 15 seconds to fully respond to your increasing or decreasing speed.  Further, it says that if you set these to less than 15, the sound may not operate correctly. 

There is no F1 on the EZ Command Chris. It only has Stop, two Direction buttons, a Function button and a 10 digit number pad.

Yes Poliss, just as I have just seen on the online EZ manual (see my later post Edit). However, wouldn't the Function button followed by the 1 button be the same as F1? I don't know, I didn't get into reading the online manual line by line I just scanned it quickly to look for a read/ write CV function.

EDIT. Just seen Fishmans definitive reply, so CV tweaking probably not a solution.

Don't have the loco Chris, just downloaded the very comprehensive leaflet to check TTS out some time ago.  Well worth the read.  Not surprisingly, it answers a lot of questions people ask on here too.  Last time I referred to it was about John's erratic running problem, sometimes solved with the alternative algorithm at CV150..

Fishman, I have obtained a copy of said leaflet for future reference. As you say, quite comprehensive.

In addition to Fishy's response about CVs 3 & 4, you can adjust the start delay CV201 which ranges 0 to 70 and is set default at 25 (2-1/2 seconds).

That is when you say go it will release steam from the cylinder cocks and pull away at the CV3 accelleration rate. If you drop this CV to zero it will pulll away unrealistically before cycling the steam release and if you set it to max then the steam will release twice before pull away 7 seconds later.

All this is in the loco manual by the way - its the last thing you take out of the box and the first thing you lose.

As stated though all this is academic if your controller is unable to access and change these parameters.

I did that but it din't work. And button 1 in EZ is like F1, because it stops the sound. But still it takes too long to stop, sometimes not stopping. Next Friday, my job will probably let me to go to my club, and once there I will try to fix it. But I don't think it will work because, as have said, it takes much mora than 15 seconds to stop.

And I have actually read the manual, but I didn't understand many things despite it doesn't seem to be very difficult to understand (I am Spanish and I am learning English ). I will investigate more about CV etc.

I've just chipped a Lion industrial with an R8249 decoder and found it would not answer the helm reliably unless I put CVs 3 & 4 to value zero. I had to add a ton of weight to get the thing to run reliably anyhow.

Given the TTS decoder looks from close inspection like its based on an R8249 with a piggy back sound board is there any correlation of uncontrolabilty showing through, noting that the manual says you need to keep CVs 3 & 4 at value =>15 for reliable sound function.

Just thinking out loud.

I've just chipped a Lion industrial with an R8249 decoder and found it would not answer the helm reliably unless I put CVs 3 & 4 to value zero. I had to add a ton of weight to get the thing to run reliably anyhow.

Given the TTS decoder looks from close inspection like its based on an R8249 with a piggy back sound board is there any correlation of uncontrolabilty showing through, noting that the manual says you need to keep CVs 3 & 4 at value =>15 for reliable sound function.

Just thinking out loud.

Then the solution will be to set this values at 0? And would it be possible with the Hornby Select Controller?

And I don't want to hear failures in the sound while running, so is there any possible solution that won't affect the sound?

Thanks

DC, just because RAF found it necessary to set these to 0 on a little industrial loco doesn't mean that is the solution for your much larger DoG.

You can play with these with your Select though.  Just follow the instructions for adjusting acceleration and deceleration in the Select manual.  These correspond to CVs 3 and 4 and are covered in the leaflet with the loco.  As we've said earlier, their default values are 15.  I suggest you try first setting them to 10 and see what you think.  If still too long, then try 5.  Then you can reduce further if you wish.  One thing you will notice though, apart from your sound possibly not synchronising with movement, is that the loco will start to behave more like a toy and less like the large steam locomotive it is.  But then you may like it like that.

One thing that will be important for you is to keep a record of what you change these to.  Unlike with better controllers than the Select, you can't read back the values to find what you have set them to, so you should write them down.  And remember you started from 15 for each.

And the other thing you can't change with your Select will be Start Delay (CV201).  So when you first turn the throttle to get moving, the loco will sit there for 2.5 seconds making its starting off sounds.  You'll just have to live with that while you have a Select.  Just as you will have to live with not being able to adjust anything that's not in the Select manual, including the sound volume, and including the sounds that are accessed with Function numbers above 9 (Select only has 9 functions available).

So have a try to adjust what you can and report back.  And if you decide you like sound, and you don't like the limitations Select puts on your enjoyment of sound, you will need to think about a better controller, like Elite or Railmaster and eLink which are cheaper than Elite but need to be run from a computer.

and including the sounds that are accessed with Function numbers above 9 (Select only has 9 functions available).

Fishy I thought the latest Select update gave it access to more sounds

You have me on that RAF, although it can only do that with more functions.  I checked my info from the manual I downloaded last year so just did that again - no change to 9 functions.

The manual has no indication of an issue number or firmware version it relates to.  But then, it also says on Startup it will show the numbers 10 and 30, and 10 means firmware v1.0.  So then I checked what it says for reversing direction and that relates to 1.0 too, meaning my info is useless.

Adam, you might get someone to look at this, and post the latest firmware version at the top of the forum, together with a summary of latest features, something you may already be looking at from a previous request.

Archived