Easy way to change loco ID from default?

Colin (smithy58)

I know from other posts of yours that you use RailMaster. For this exercise I am assuming the following.

• You are aware that the loco needs to be placed on your programming track and connected to the ‘programming’ output of your RM attached controller.
  • That the current loco address is 003 (3) the factory default.
  • That the loco runs normally without issue on the main track using the default 3 address.
  • That the new address you want to configure is in the DCC loco ‘short’ addressing range [1 to 127]. Long addresses [128 to 9999] normally require additional CV configuration [there is a long loco address wizard icon for this in the Locomotive CV Settings Window between the Pencil and Pause icons - see step 8 below] .
  • That you know how to add your loco to the list of installed locos within RM.

Now follow the steps described below:

1. Open RM
  2. Place your loco on the programming track.
  3. Click the ‘Steam Train’ icon top row of RM second from the left.
  4. Locomotives Window will open (if your loco is already listed you can select it in the list but doing this is optional).
  5. Click the i icon in the Locomotives Window, bottom row to the left, next to the printer icon.
  6. Locomotive CV Settings Window opens.
  7. Type the loco address you want [1 to 127] in the value column of CV1 (Locomotive Address).
  8. Click the Pencil icon in the Locomotive CV Settings Window, bottom left hand side (not the green tick). The new address should be written to the loco and then read back into the value column when complete. This may take several seconds, be patient.
  9. If the new required address is confirmed, click the Red X exit and back-out of the previously opened Windows closing them as you go.
  10. Place the loco on the main track and test using the new address.

Optionally, between steps 6 & 7 above, you can click the Green Tick and read all the current CV settings, this may take some considerable time and is not neccessary to just configure a new loco address.

If for any reason it all goes pear shaped, then use procedure outlined above to write value 8 to CV8. For most loco decoders this is the factory reset option.

Poliss, I believe Colin has already got his issue resolved, so probably doesn't need to research it further. Interestingly, I have actually seen that particular video before. If you search hard enough there are some quite good Youtube vids out there. I have been known to link to a few of them myself in other threads. To be honest, the replies after Colin's last reply (4th post) have been superfluous and somewhat un-necessary banter. I include my own replies in that statement. I could just as easily let Fishman's post go by without further comment.

Archived