Railmaster Schematic - Paired Points Runaround - Loss of Sync

To confirm operation of Railmaster/e-Link/Elite prior to use in a large and complex layout have set up a test track – a simple oval with a run-around on each long side each with a left and right hand point.  The points are operated via the Elite (Controller B).  Each pair of points is operated from a single port/common CV from R8216 decoders with one of each pair having the red and black wires crossed to reverse polarity (not the green wire swap suggested by the Railmaster manual).  Without Railmaster the Elite operates these pairs correctly.  On start-up Railmaster correctly sets the points.  When a change of point setting is selected in Railmaster, both points operate correctly but the Railmaster schematic shows the points out of synch which is a tad confusing!  What am I doing wrong?  Any help gratefully received and cyber beer vouchers available!!  John

Hi John, welcome to the forums.

If you go to page 2 in the RM forum you'll find a thread titled "points indicator in passing loop" from a month ago where the problem and various workarounds/solutions have been discussed.

Thread moved from Hornby DCC to Hornby RailMaster.

Also, the thread Fishmanoz refers to can be found here.

Thank you both for quick responses

OK have adopted a work-around which works BUT - work-arounds are NOT solutions - can Railmaster addrerss this issue as a matter of urgency?  I've spent a lot of money/time invested in Hornby DCC.  Obviously this is a well KNOWN PROBLEM that is not addressed in the RM manual.  Most layouts include paired points for run-arounds/passing sidings and the work arounds in terms of the schematic are ugly and counter-intuitive.  What and more importantly when is Hornby going to fix this? 

John, a little patience needed here, you are not the only one with lots invested.  You might note there is a desirable features thread in the forum which is monitored by HRMS and contains this request, I put it there some time ago.  You might note the thread is long and has lots in it, and not everything can be done at once.

If you think about it, the solution is not dead simple and probably requires a setup option in a point specifically for a passing loop, with the point then having its point buttons and track indicator working the opposite way to what they do normally.  In the meantime, I consider Ray's dummy point elegant "workaround" to be a solution.

It would be useful for an HRMS comment on this one please.

John, a little patience needed here, you are not the only one with lots invested.  You might note there is a desirable features thread in the forum which is monitored by HRMS and contains this request, I put it there some time ago.  You might note the thread is long and has lots in it, and not everything can be done at once.

If you think about it, the solution is not dead simple and probably requires a setup option in a point specifically for a passing loop, with the point then having its point buttons and track indicator working the opposite way to what they do normally.  In the meantime, I consider Ray's dummy point elegant "workaround" to be a solution.

Fishmanoz thank you for your quick response.  Patience is either a virtue or a game of cards!  Loss of patience leads quite qucikly to frustration.  My whinge (I'm not a whinger by nature honestt!!) is that the RM manual has no mention of this issue - I spent days trying to work this out (my PL11 motors cried out NOT AGAIN). and it is I believe a simple fix in software terms - PAIRED POINTS RUNAROUND - we all want this feature and the sooner the better ... come on HRMS ... patiently drooling ... patiently waiting and playing with my cards .... John

Fishmanoz thank you for your quick response.  Patience is either a virtue or a game of cards!  Loss of patience leads quite qucikly to frustration.  My whinge (I'm not a whinger by nature honestt!!) is that the RM manual has no mention of this issue - I spent days trying to work this out (my PL11 motors cried out NOT AGAIN). and it is I believe a simple fix in software terms - PAIRED POINTS RUNAROUND - we all want this feature and the sooner the better ... come on HRMS ... patiently drooling ... patiently waiting and playing with my cards .... John

Oh! and by the way HRMS - whilst I have the Pro extension this FIX should be applied at the standard level - please advise WHEN!!

Archived