Hornby Elite

Wayne2467

That's a pretty vague question. What do you want it to do?

The Elite is 100% better than the Select, but I've onl used the Elite, so I cannot compare with anything else. (except dc, of course!)

Is it any good? How long is a piece of string?

As with anything mechanical or electrical, you can get superb ones, and real rogues, and the more complex it gets, the more chance of something going wrong - but having said that, I've got a good one.

I have E-link, Select and Elite. The first two are in a cupboard somewhere and I use the Eilte in conjunction with RM. Can't fault it. Not cheap, but well worth the money. R-

Hi Wayne,

I have an Elite which I consider is a very capable unit..In terms of DCC controllers I can't think of anything it can't do, so you will be well covered in that respect. I also use my Elite with the optional Railmaster software + 21" touch screen, which is really very good indeed & adds an extra dimension to running a layout --it also makes adjusting CV's etc a doddle ! Railmaster will only work with Elite or E.Link.

IMO the casing design could do with a re-vamp, mainly to introduce a more solid feel to it, particularly when twiddling the knobs & buttons,apart from that it's well thought out with plenty of connections that you may need.

Overall, I would probably but another one if I needed to.

P.

Let me put it this way:

The Select is a non-NMRA compliant entry level controller that has very limited functionality for DCC.  Address range is limited for both locos and accessories and you cannot directly change any CVs.  Such CVs are used to adjust a lot of simple and more advanced things, including being able to reset a decoder to factory defaults. Also, I believe it has only 9 functions, and it is this that is one of the major limitations for TTS.  The other is not being able to change the running algorithms (CV150) which many have found necessary for smooth running.

The Elite on the other hand can be described as a controller with full DCC functionality - if it is adjustable in the DCC spec, the Elite can adjust it.  Also, it has I think 29 functions it can handle (more than needed for TTS) and the 2 throttles can do finer speed adjustments than Select's one.  It takes a little time to understand fully Elite's menu system but that is only because it is so extensive.  It is all explained in the manual.

I disagree with 2e0 about its being 100% better then Select, it is much more than that.

I'm a total Elite fan. I have 3 - a good one for the layout in Cyprus, one with no programming output that I use to run trains on my small UK test track and I also have one that is permanently in bits that I use for fiddling with - e.g. I installed a backlight for the screen, I failed at trying to convert it to wireless, next up is a trial installation of a decoder test socket on the casing with a micro-DPDT switch to flip between Track and Prog and some small LEDs to show what is happening.

As for the complex menu systems there is a good flow chart in the manual which you can print out and refer to to make life easier until you become familiar with the various options.

Any downside - often you turn a rotary knob to set a parameter but as you click it it moves to a different value - annoying. There is a detent on the knob but its not firm enough for my liking.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R8214-Elite-Digital-Controller-/251947223575?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3aa9398a17Wayne, if you're there, have a quick look at

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R8214-Elite-Digital-Controller-/251947223575?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3aa9398a17

Sorry, I don't seem to be able to set that link as clickable-on. You'll need to copy and paste to your browser. Second hand Elite currently with top bid of £103.01 with 7 bids so far and only just over 30 minutes to go.

Wayne, have a quick look at this if you're about

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/R8214-Elite-Digital-Controller-/251947223575?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3aa9398a17

Sorry, I can't make this link clickable-on so you'll need to copy and paste it to your browser.

Second hand Elite going for £103.01 at the moment with 7 bids and ending in about half an hour.

I looked on eBay and saw this with three minutes to go and won it with one bid. Hopefully be ok as the seller is saying send it back if not satisfied

Congratulations, Wayne! It went for only £132 in the end, didn't it? I wondered if if you were the winner. Let's hope it works just fine. If it doesn't by any chance, or you have certain things you don't understand about its operation in any way, have a word with us on this forum for more advice about it.

Congratulations, Wayne! It went for only £132 in the end, didn't it? I wondered if if you were the winner. Let's hope it works just fine. If it doesn't by any chance, or you have certain things you don't understand about its operation in any way, have a word with us on this forum for more advice about it.

Yes it did. Thanks will do.

I'm a total Elite fan. I have 3 - a good one for the layout in Cyprus, one with no programming output that I use to run trains on my small UK test track and I also have one that is permanently in bits that I use for fiddling with - e.g. I installed a backlight for the screen, I failed at trying to convert it to wireless, next up is a trial installation of a decoder test socket on the casing with a micro-DPDT switch to flip between Track and Prog and some small LEDs to show what is happening.

As for the complex menu systems there is a good flow chart in the manual which you can print out and refer to to make life easier until you become familiar with the various options.

Any downside - often you turn a rotary knob to set a parameter but as you click it it moves to a different value - annoying. There is a detent on the knob but its not firm enough for my liking.

Archived