Elite update 1.42

Icurus

... Are the enhancements documented anywhere ...

I have not seen them documented.  Maybe someone who has successfully updated their Elite (or even Hornby) could advise what the differences are.  In the meantime, 'if it ain't broke...'

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Windows 10 does indeed come out on that date. It will be a newer and slightly better version of Windows 8 and that is it in a nutshell. Yes, more has been added and some parts improved over what was essentially a very bad OS from the start.

One major difference you should be aware of is that when you, at the moment, update your machines you have the choice of whether or not to download automatically or manually from Microsoft. The new situation is that all updates will be downloaded by Microsoft automatically. You don't have a choice. Their excuse for this? To keep all machines up to date at the same time and help better protect users who have no technical clue as to what updates do etc.

I would doubt absolutely that Windows 10 will have any benefit over Windows 8 where drivers are concerned in our field anyway. Drivers are not the domain of Microsoft and are mostly written by the vendors themselves. The reasons that a driver will not work with any new Windows version is because the driver for that hardware is not suitable for a new rewrite of the Windows OS altogether. The architecture of the chips and the code within old hardware will not be compatible with the new OS and thus no new driver will work. We saw this spectacularly with flat bed scanners.

So you are more likely to find that hardware is MORE likely to NOT work with new Windows versions than they are. In the case of RM and the eLink or Elite we should be pretty safe though. But don't assume a new OS means better compatibility.

These are not significant updates that warrant a 'What is new' set of details. They are just minor file updates that will enhance the software but not in a way to justify a list of 'fixes' that one would normally expect. So there is no 'list' to publish. It's a bit like finding a typo in a document and you merely correct it. So no need to republish at that point until a major improvement comes along and that correction is part of that new release but still not listed.

Maybe someone who has successfully updated their Elite (or even Hornby) could advise what the differences are.   

Not sure how you could tell just by using it RDS unless you knew what the previous problems were and then went looking for them to see if they were fixed or not after the upgrade....

Hi Guys,

I've just received a 2nd hand Elite from that well known auction site. I've had a quick look at the manual and got a couple of locos moving OK and accessories too, so all seems OK. Thing is when I switch on it tells me it's on FW level 1.3. Having read through this thread I'm not too sure if I should try and update and would like some opinions please?

I'm running Win 7 and also use RM and e-link.

Also should I do a reset to factory settings - it comes up as Classic and I believe it should be on Standard for use with RM/e-Link?

Easy enough to swap it from Classic to Standard mode TWD. Follow the flow chart in the manual.

Can't remember all the advantages of V1.4x over v1.3, but I think there were significant changes mainly to do with how it spoke to the Select.and handled points addressing.

May be talking thro' Fishy's hat tho'.

Easy enough to swap it from Classic to Standard mode TWD. Follow the flow chart in the manual.

Can't remember all the advantages of V1.4x over v1.3, but I think there were significant changes mainly to do with how it spoke to the Select.and handled points addressing.

May be talking thro' Fishy's hat tho'.

Thanks RAF.  Well the (printed) manual that came with it doesn't even mention the Classic/Standard setting, let alone include it in the flow chart! So I downloaded the on-line manual (1.4) which does. Even so, it doesn't work like it says. By trial and error I found you have to select the menu option with Controller 1 and change it with Controller 2!

So that's now done. Still thinking of doing a reset to flush away all the previous owner's settings. Just afraid it might go back to 1.0!! Thedate stamp on the back is 19/07, almost vintage. Anyone else have anything to add?

Yes, definitely do the firmware upgrade, there were significant issues with 1.3.  Also, no problem with doing it with W 7, many reporting it can be done, including me ages ago.  And yes, there will be significant differences with how yours runs compared to the v1.4 manual.  You shouldn't need to change the driver, just get the correct com port and follow the instructions meticulously with button holds and delays to get it in upgrade mode.  If it doesn't work the first time, keep trying.  Mine worked second time, others have taken more goes.

Just on resetting, it won't change the firmware version.  And the only thing that can be flushed away is the previous owner's loco list, if there is one.

TWD,

The only thing I would add, is if the Elite firmware update fails multiple times using Win 7, then check the driver in Device Manager if it doesn't specifically name the Elite in the description it is most likely the generic Windows 7 one. The upgrade might work better with the specific Hornby driver installed. See W7 driver installation guide part of the upgrade pack as to how to overwrite the generic with the Hornby.

Driver change could help but there was no such thing when 1.4/1.41 were first released, so those who did it then could only use the generic, if my memory serves me correctly.

Back then, many had no problem with the upgrade but a number more had to send it back to Hornby.  Often those who were successful had to go through the process a number of times before they got it right.  My suspicion is that some who sent it back didn't actually follow the instructions correctly and never got it into upgrade mode or got it on the correct com port. This was the first time most users had to struggle with those concepts as RM use wasn't widespread and there was no such thing as eLink. 

Hi guys

just tried Augustus Caesar's method to get Elite to upgrade from V1 to V1.42 and it works perfectly with my Windows 8.1 Software. Downloaded  RM from Hornby website deleted the driver and run RM in temporary mode. This picked up the Elite and installed the driver for the Elite. Then turned on the Elite whilst holding the stop button down for 15 seconds then left it for 15 seconds and it loaded up and upgraded to V1.42 first time no issues. Thanks very much AC for the advise it works.

Hi guys

just tried Augustus Caesar's method to get Elite to upgrade from V1 to V1.42 and it works perfectly with my Windows 8.1 Software. Downloaded  RM from Hornby website deleted the driver and run RM in temporary mode. This picked up the Elite and installed the driver for the Elite. Then turned on the Elite whilst holding the stop button down for 15 seconds then left it for 15 seconds and it loaded up and upgraded to V1.42 first time no issues. Thanks very much AC for the advise it works.

Thanks for that Tom... much appreciated. I am obviously glad it worked for you and not just myself (well, my friend's Elite really) and this just goes to show that if EVERYTHING is tried just once at least you will have a good chance of getting things to work.

It was a wild thought at first for this method but, hey, it's worked twice now. Hopefully others with similar issues may just do the same and get theirs to work too.

Thanks for letting us know. :-) I'll post something on the Help Site shortly to reflect this method and as it has now worked twice we can safely say it is an option worth attempting.

Well, finally got around to updating Elite to 1.42. Went reasonably OK with one hiccup - I didn't have .Net installed. I updated this via Windows update (all the time with Elite still connected and in upgrade mode). After windows completed the update and restarted I ran the Elite upgrade program again and it worked like a dream.

I have now set Railmaster up with Elite as controller A on com3, and E-Link as Controller B on com4.

What I need to know now is how I connect the controllers to the track. Do I connect both or just one, if so which one. Or do I need a separate accessory bus to connect E-Link to, with Elite connected to track. I can't find any info on this anywhere?

Teed showoff, when i wanted to put elink on Controller, B, i was told not to bother no need for both, and put it away in bottom drawer. I was going to use it as accessory controller. I will be interested, in what you are told. john  . PS, what differences, have you found on Elite, as i do not have the courage, given my french laptop

Slightly off-topic - Windoze .NET - - Grrr!

This 'puter, and my scanner/printer have been co-habiting quite happily for a year or more, then Mr Microsoft sent through another update to W7.

Next time I tried to print something, they wouldn't talk to each other. After a lot of messing about and fault-finding, I got a not compatible message, because I didn't have .NET 2.0 installed. The last update must have removed it!

I had to search the m/soft free download files, to find NET 2.0, and re-install it.

There's still a bug in the system, because the 'puter and printer Sometimes, but not always, talk to each other, now!

I'll probably have to do it all again when the free update to W10 is released next month!

Teed showoff, when i wanted to put elink on Controller, B, i was told not to bother no need for both, and put it away in bottom drawer. I was going to use it as accessory controller. I will be interested, in what you are told. john  . PS, what differences, have you found on Elite, as i do not have the courage, given my french laptop

Hi John,  The only reason I got the Elite was I find controlling locos using a mouse is a bit hit and miss and I wanted to go back to twiddling a knob (pardon the expression). I had a quick test of it on it's own, without RM to see if it worked, which it did. It's a bit clunky in selecting the loco etc. but I intend to just use it for driving locos and nothing else. I will do all the CV stuff etc. via RM. I've got a feeling I'm going to have to install a new bus for it (still waiting for an answer on that one). I've still got to replace all my point motors and I want to install another bus for scenic lighting! I've got a couple of track alterations to make as well so it might be some time before I report back. Hope you are well

Terry

2e0 Windows Net is up to version 4.5 last time I checked. I would run 'Windows Update' manually and check to see if there are any NET related updates listed in the 'optional' updates section. From what you have said, I could easily envisage hundreds of 'optional updates' sitting there waiting to be installed. I suspect that if you want the Win 10 upgrade to go smoothly (assuming you want Win 10) your Win 7 PC will need to be fully patched with all important, recommended AND optional updates installed.

For Chrissaf - yes, thanks! I regularly (about weekly) check for updates, plus I have auto-update activated.

I had all the .NET's installed already - except 2.0, which seemed to have mysteriously vanished!

OK, before the moderators get upset, end of trivial asides, and back to the original thread!  :-) If you want to contine this chat off-forum, ask the Mod's to pass your email address to me, or find me on Facebook, linked-in, etc.

Teed , glad your sorted. 2OED, why would anybody who has windows 7, even consider updating to windows 10. My microsoft colleague, advises that i remain as now, until the bugs, of which there will be many, have been ironed out. They  want the windows 8 people, just to get rid of 8, but windows7 is the best windows yet. So stable. john

No need to pursue further 2e0, you seem to have everything under control. Misunderstood your original post, it sounded as if you only had up to Net v2 and no more.

As this thread has been concluded (maybe!) I'll answer a couple of comments that were o/t.

Yelrow - I began with 98, then ME, XP was best! Vista was a nightmare. 7 is ok but clunky, uses a lot of memory just to run the opsys. 8 was a waste of space. 9 never happened!

Why 10? Because it saves buying it for (say) £200 a bit later on!

(ps. I've a quad-core 64 bit pc, with 4 terabytes of hdd, and as much ram as the mobo can handle.) and my other pc is a ubuntu!

Archived