Elite update 1.42

Icurus

I have read RAF's details as sent to myself privately and have offered another possible scenario in order to help. I have left this in his hands however as he wishes to test on his daughter's Win 8.1 machine first.

Of course, I will digest exactly what he reported but at this stage it looks like most avenues have been crossed... although I will continue to look into it.

@RAF

While you are in the UK, and if you bring the bricked box with you, feel free to contact me with the offer I gave you privately. No probs in helping to sort it for you if possible.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought you'd be on top of that RAF - hope you didn't mind me poking my nose. R-

Never a problem Rog as long as you don't want paying for it - any and all comments are always gratefully received as I am a long way from being a teenager therefore I have forgotten most of what I obviously knew then.

@RAF96

I've resent again using a third address. I am not happy with mail going missing and will investigate this from my side... however, it is a tad unusual to have it go missing from two addresses!

I note that you are bringing your machine over so hopefully this one will get through...

• 3 weeks later...

I've just been reading some of this thread again, and thanks AC for the answer to my question about whether to upgrade or not. One last question, I use my Elite as a very basic controller (my layout is still having points wired - so early days) - when I turn it on I get "Classic" in the display not "Standard" - is this important considering my basic use?

Hi BB, the default mode of the Elite is "Standard" so you should change this via the Menu>Mode>rotate to Standard keys on controller 1. Details of this on page 67 of the Elite instruction manual. HB.

I wonder if anyone else has noticed that, since upgrading to 1.42, if you reset the Elite using the menu system, then when it returns to operational state, it has reverted to Classic mode. I'm pretty sure it didn't do this before the 1.42 upgrade. Powering off the back on, it retains the Standard mode. It's only after a Reset that it switches mode.

Ray

Hi BB, the default mode of the Elite is "Standard" so you should change this via the Menu>Mode>rotate to Standard keys on controller 1. Details of this on page 67 of the Elite instruction manual. HB.

I wonder if anyone else has noticed that, since upgrading to 1.42, if you reset the Elite using the menu system, then when it returns to operational state, it has reverted to Classic mode. I'm pretty sure it didn't do this before the 1.42 upgrade. Powering off the back on, it retains the Standard mode. It's only after a Reset that it switches mode.

Ray

I'll give it a try. I have not upgraded to 1.42 - but it could have happened on a previous upgrade. 

I've just been reading some of this thread again, and thanks AC for the answer to my question about whether to upgrade or not. One last question, I use my Elite as a very basic controller (my layout is still having points wired - so early days) - when I turn it on I get "Classic" in the display not "Standard" - is this important considering my basic use?

NO probs re upgrade help BB... and I believe the second part of your post has been answered. If I think about it I will try and remember to reset my own Elite and see how it restarts as it is on 1.42. Curious... but it'll have to wait a very short time...

Just a quick update on this ongoing update attempt(s).

i have taken on board all suggested update methods and procedures in cooperation with AC, this time using a Zoostorm Win8.1 machine in both normal and advanced startup scenarios and using both my v1.41 UK Elite and the much abused bricked Testbox Elite with the backlight and the updates failed again Resulting in two bricked Elites.

To prove the Elites were recoverable I ran the v1.42 update again using my trusty XP notebook and I now have two serviceable Elites.

Despite all efforts by AC and myself I cannot get these two to update on Win8.1 although many others have shown it is possible.

i eagerly await 29th July to try with Win10.

@RAF96

I'm about to insatll Win 10 on both my 10.1" Acer laptop (master) and 8" Acer Tablet (slave) with fresh installs of everything so I can report back on what happens.

Of course, as the nature of computers and their workings are quite ignorant of what the user requires and needs from them, I find my laptop has just took it upon itself to disconnect totally from my SBS 2011 netwrok and go on a journey of its own in a huff. I often sit back and wonder what life is all about and now I find myself wondering what computers are all about... :-) Just because I said to my lovely wife I would be installing Win 10 to the laptop it has suddenly broke down and took a psychological heeby jeeby... technology eh?

So a system restore is being done (I don't like these with Win 8/8.1... so slow) before I go further and reinstall the whole OS from the start so EVERYTHING is fresh on that laptop ready for Win 10. I've promised the laptop I won't use it but during the night while it's not looking and is unaware of all its surrounds I will pounce!!!

Hopefully I will have stuff done as soon as possible and as soon as MS release the update... I know for business users it is 8am 29th July in the UK... for home users I ain't found a time yet.

So, RAF, it looks like the Elites cannot understand Win 8.1 then... it makes me wonder if some of the internal coding is corrupt on both chipsets? M<ay it be that some releases have dodgy coding? Coding that won't read anything from Win 8.1.... who knows. Stranger things ay... If you wish to get back in touch just let me know so we can see what we come up with next.

Something has gone right for me at last.

I have just purchased a 'pre-loved' Elite on 1.3 and with no fuss or bother, upgraded it to 1.42 with my Windows 7.

With all I have heard, I thought it was going to be a problem.

Connected it up to my Railmaster, and I now have the best of both worlds.

WD, the problem has always only been 8, 7 works consistently. You are further proof.

And if you have 8, don't forget to give AC's method a go.  It aims to get around the driver that comes with the upgrade software and uses the one which comes with RM.

Following on my update trials using an Acer Aspire notebook running Win7 32 bit SP1 it updated a purposely bricked test Elite to v1.42 without any problems at the first attempt.

That was using the Hornby driver by the way as included in the v1.42 zip pack.

I eagerly await the roll out of Win10 to prove that works/doesn't as the case may be.

Something has gone right for me at last.

I have just purchased a 'pre-loved' Elite on 1.3 and with no fuss or bother, upgraded it to 1.42 with my Windows 7.

With all I have heard, I thought it was going to be a problem.

Connected it up to my Railmaster, and I now have the best of both worlds.

Oddly enough, I have just done the same, although on Win XP. Now a happy bunny (mostly) - there are a few minor quirks to get used to, but by and large it's a good option. Even got POM to work for a couple of decoders that support it.

AM

NO probs re upgrade help BB... and I believe the second part of your post has been answered. If I think about it I will try and remember to reset my own Elite and see how it restarts as it is on 1.42. Curious... but it'll have to wait a very short time...

Hi AC,

Did you have a chance to try a unit reset on Elite 1.42, to see which mode, Classic or Standard, it restarts in?

Ray

Archived