Elite update 1.42

Icurus

I've just been reading some of this thread again, and thanks AC for the answer to my question about whether to upgrade or not. One last question, I use my Elite as a very basic controller (my layout is still having points wired - so early days) - when I turn it on I get "Classic" in the display not "Standard" - is this important considering my basic use?

NO probs re upgrade help BB... and I believe the second part of your post has been answered. If I think about it I will try and remember to reset my own Elite and see how it restarts as it is on 1.42. Curious... but it'll have to wait a very short time...

Hi AC,

Did you have a chance to try a unit reset on Elite 1.42, to see which mode, Classic or Standard, it restarts in?

Ray

Hi Ray

I haven't as yet as I've been busy with a website and multiple laptops to fix... plus life in general! lol

However, I should make a note of this and try it out... so apologies for not attempting it sooner.

If I do forget again just contact me via email on my Help Site which is listed in the thread at the top of the RailMaster section.

Then I will gladly post back to you.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just been reading some of this thread again, and thanks AC for the answer to my question about whether to upgrade or not. One last question, I use my Elite as a very basic controller (my layout is still having points wired - so early days) - when I turn it on I get "Classic" in the display not "Standard" - is this important considering my basic use?

NO probs re upgrade help BB... and I believe the second part of your post has been answered. If I think about it I will try and remember to reset my own Elite and see how it restarts as it is on 1.42. Curious... but it'll have to wait a very short time...

Hi AC,

Did you have a chance to try a unit reset on Elite 1.42, to see which mode, Classic or Standard, it restarts in?

Ray

Mine restarted in Classic mode.

For a while now, I have had an occasional problem that one accessory port on an ADS8 decoder stops responding to commands given either through Railmaster or using the Elite directly. Having checked the wiring, and switched everything off and on agian, I found that I could get it working again by doing a unit reset on the Elite. I could do this even without having to reload Railmaster. Since 1.42 was installed, however, the two occasions when I have had to do this resulted in the Elite restarting in Classic mode, which then means another few seconds having to switch it back to Standard mode through the menu.

Perhaps HRMS can confirm that this is expected behaviour after the 1.42 upgrade, or is it a fault?

Ray

Hi AC,

Ray

Hi Ray

I've just managed to pull the Elite out of hibernation and did a reset (firmware at 1.42) and, yes, indeed, it did start in CLASSIC mode.

So it appears that this is something that needs looking into as Standard is the setting that should be set on a reset as most use this as default.

On powering down after a change back to Standard it stays in Standard mode.

Does this help you at all in your persuance of this with the powers that be? It seems to be happening to quite a few does it not?

AC

Hi AC,

Ray

Hi Ray

I've just managed to pull the Elite out of hibernation and did a reset (firmware at 1.42) and, yes, indeed, it did start in CLASSIC mode.

So it appears that this is something that needs looking into as Standard is the setting that should be set on a reset as most use this as default.

On powering down after a change back to Standard it stays in Standard mode.

Does this help you at all in your persuance of this with the powers that be? It seems to be happening to quite a few does it not?

AC

I just wanted someone else to verify my observations. I have only reported problems with Railmaster in the past, throught the RM system itself. Who do I report to with Elite problems - does anyone have an email address for the correct department/company?

Ray

Following on my update trials using an Acer Aspire notebook running Win7 32 bit SP1 it updated a purposely bricked test Elite to v1.42 without any problems at the first attempt.

That was using the Hornby driver by the way as included in the v1.42 zip pack.

I eagerly await the roll out of Win10 to prove that works/doesn't as the case may be.

Further update now that both machines are on Win10.

The Zoostorm ex Win8.1 machine failed to update a bricked Elite, but the Acer  ex Win7 notebook did update the Elite.

Both times the R8214 Hornby Elite drivers were installed to the Com port.

Maybe the Win10 update version code is heavily dependant upon the previous Windows build. I am open to rock throwing here from the experts.

The successful Elite update loaded into Standard mode.

If you get a chance, could you see what mode is loaded after a unit reset on an Elite 1.42. On mine I get Classic mode, and I've just reported this as a possible fault to HCC.

Ray

A reset from v1.42 definitely gets me Classic mode.

Rob

If you get a chance, could you see what mode is loaded after a unit reset on an Elite 1.42. On mine I get Classic mode, and I've just reported this as a possible fault to HCC.

Ray

A reset from v1.42 definitely gets me Classic mode.

Rob

Thanks for the confirmation, Rob.

Keval, hi, and welcome to the forum. Does your Elite still work on 1.41. If so, forget about the update as there is little in it to affect what you have, and many of us have not bothered. If it still runs ok, taint worth the bother. If you have messed it up, may be a return to hornby job. john

I am running Windows Vista on my old laptop and managed to update my Elite to V1.42 with no difficulty. I printed out the new manual and as far as I can judge the important difference in this update is the ability to programme the Sapphire Decoder for Fuel simulation, Automatic Control Cycle and setting Event parameters. Also particular reference is made to programming the R8247 accessory decoder which may be important to many of you. HB.

Hi k_k, that's unfortunate, generally people have reported success with any 7 or earlier version of Windows. But note it often doesn't work the first time. When I updated from 1.3 to 1.4 then 1.41 using Windows 7, it took a couple of goes to work.

If you are having trouble at the boot loader stage, then probably your Elite is still working. So if you are already at v1.41, you might like to take the advice above and ignore 1.42. But if you are at an earlier version, you really do need to upgrade to make your Elite properly functional. 

Anyway, if you wish to proceed, it is essential to follow the instructions precisely, including running as administrator. First, when lloading the driver, assuming you need to, you must use Device manager to ensure you have the correct com port set.  Then to get into update mode, you must do all of the delays and button holding as per instructions, most important. Then run the update a few times and see how you go.  If no success, do you have another computer to try it on, but not an 8/8.1 one?  Last resort, return to Hornby, they can fix it for you.

PS.  And don't take too much notice of the doom and gloomers and naysayers, they are still waiting in the Ark in case the floods come back. And the wifi is dreadful in there!

Archived