Elite Help

Wayne2467

just to say i have two locos running ok but the third is being more than tempremental. if and when i can get it running it seems ok but if i stop it and try to get it going again then more often then not it wont start or starts and stalls. Any ideas?

Still having problems with this. The Gadwell with sound arrived today and I can't manage to assign it an address. Thinking back to a few days ago when the elite arrived the three locos I already had were assigned addresses from the select. Now I have even tried changing one of those locos addresses and they will not change. When I go through the procedure the light flashes ten times with the message write cv value being the final thing on the lCd. Any ideas?

Right I just plugged the select back up and instantly the Gadwell sound fired up. I then assigned it as number four and ran the train for a few minutes. I then plugged the elite back in and hey presto it's also asigned as number four and running very well. Obviously then it's something to do with the cv message iam getting but I don't know anything about cv values.

Are you using a programming track connected to the Elite PROG terminals when you tried to readdress the loco Wayne.

Yes and made sure wires were correctly in place. Wondering why I get the cv message at the end of programming sequence.

also wonder if any can give advice on operating sounds 10 plus as pressing double digits does not seem to work?

Also is it possible to have sounds such as horn and whistle work by themselves/randomely instead of having to press the num bers?

Wayne, you don't press double digits for sounds 10 plus. After pressing the function button once you'll see functions 0-9 on the Elite screen. You just press the function button again until it shows functions 10-19. You then press 0 for 10, 1 for 11 and so on. With 20 plus functions you press the function yet again and it shows functions 20-29.

I don't really know about your second question but I believe you can alter random sound CVs on some more advanced and extensive decoders such as Zimo, but I have not tried that yet on mine. Whistles, though, generally have to be blown at designated places anyway, so perhaps not worth making them random.

Wayne, you don't press double digits for sounds 10 plus. After pressing the function button once you'll see functions 0-9 on the Elite screen. You just press the function button again until it shows functions 10-19. You then press 0 for 10, 1 for 11 and so on. With 20 plus functions you press the function yet again and it shows functions 20-29.

I don't really know about your second question but I believe you can alter random sound CVs on some more advanced and extensive decoders such as Zimo, but I have not tried that yet on mine. Whistles, though, generally have to be blown at designated places anyway, so perhaps not worth making them random.

Thanks for that-any advice on why I get the" write cv "message whenever I try an assign an address to a loco?

The correct way to assign an address ID to a DCC fitted loco is:

Make sure you have connected wires from the correct Elite programming outputs on the back to a separate piece of programming track isolated from your layout.

Place loco on programming track.

Press "menu" button. Screen shows "Loco".

Press Left control knob, ensuring it doesn't to turn at the same time. Screen shows "Direct".

Press again. Screen shows "Address".

Press again. Screen shows "Address Write".

Press again. Screen shows loco address 03.

Either punch in the number you want or turn the knob to it.

Press again to set. Elite flashes and, when finished, screen shows "Address" again.

Press menu button to exit.

Test on running track.

This is in fact set out in the Elite manual which you should perhaps study for other queries you might have. If you don't have a hard copy booklet with your Elite, you can download its instructions from this site.

Hopefully successful.

The correct way to assign an address ID to a DCC fitted loco is:

Make sure you have connected wires from the correct Elite programming outputs on the back to a separate piece of programming track isolated from your layout.

Place loco on programming track.

Press "menu" button. Screen shows "Loco".

Press Left control knob, ensuring it doesn't to turn at the same time. Screen shows "Direct".

Press again. Screen shows "Address".

Press again. Screen shows "Address Write".

Press again. Screen shows loco address 03.

Either punch in the number you want or turn the knob to it.

Press again to set. Elite flashes and, when finished, screen shows "Address" again.

Press menu button to exit.

Test on running track.

This is in fact set out in the Elite manual which you should perhaps study for other queries you might have. If you don't have a hard copy booklet with your Elite, you can download its instructions from this site.

Hopefully successful.

Yeah iam doing exactly as you say and from the instructions online. At the end though I get ten flashes and "cv write" appears. 

In the Elite manual there is a handy flow chart which leads you through the menu system - handy to print this page out for reference if nothing else.

The Elite is notorious for its knob moving just as you press it selecting some other menu item than the one you thought you were actioning.

I find I have to hold the knob firm with thumb and forefinger of one hand while pressing it with forefinger of the other hand.

It sounds to me as though the knob may be shifting just as you press it.

1.4e is a beta version of firmware update 1.4, not a issue status version. I don't know how you would have gotten hold of that - ah - your Elite is second hand is it not, so it may have been owned by an Elite beta test team member.

You should download and install update 1.42 from this website, following the advice that has been posted previously about it.

Wayne,

You will need to provide more information in order to prompt a fuller response. What version of Windows. How 'step by step' are you trying to perform the driver install. For example are you connecting the Elite to the laptop to initiate the 'Found new Hardware Wizard' you will need to do this before you can install the driver.

I doubt very much that purchasing RM will solve your problem. It should be the same driver in RM as used in the firmware update ZIP file folder. Installing the driver is still a separate activity to be performed even when done as part of installing RM. In other words you install the driver first and then install RM as a second completely separate activity.

If your Windows is version 8x then based upon others experience it is unlikely to successfully update your Elite to 1.42 even if you did get the driver to install - see the 'Elite Update 1.42' thread for more info.

Wayne,

You will need to provide more information in order to prompt a fuller response. What version of Windows. How 'step by step' are you trying to perform the driver install. For example are you connecting the Elite to the laptop to initiate the 'Found new Hardware Wizard' you will need to do this before you can install the driver.

I doubt very much that purchasing RM will solve your problem. It should be the same driver in RM as used in the firmware update ZIP file folder. Installing the driver is still a separate activity to be performed even when done as part of installing RM. In other words you install the driver first and then install RM as a second completely separate activity.

If your Windows is version 8x then based upon others experience it is unlikely to successfully update your Elite to 1.42 even if you did get the driver to install - see the 'Elite Update 1.42' thread for more info.

I have windows vista with it coneccted to the elite.  It then is unable to find drivers eveN after following the on screen messages that appear afterwards.

Wayne,

Since you haven't given a full 'step by step' description as I asked of what you have done so far. The following is an edited version of something to try. Apologies if this is what you have done already, but as you didn't provide any detail I have had to assume you haven't.

1. Connect your Elite to Laptop
  2. At some time during the 'Found New HW Wizard' you should be presented with two options. One being let Windows search, the other being 'Browse My Computer For Driver Software' manually'.
  3. CHOOSE the BROWSE MANUALLY option.
  4. Navigate to the folder created when you unzipped the downloaded Hornby Firmware Update ZIP file. Note: you HAVE to UNZIP this downloaded file first before you can use it.
  5. With the folder highlighted in the 'Browse' window click NEXT and follow any on-screen prompts.

If you chose the let Windows automatically search option, then because your PC is Vista there is a high probability that there is no suitable driver in the Windows driver database (there is one for W7 & W8). Thus why your PC could not find it.

Assuming that the instructions above does now install your Elite driver. Then follow the documented update instructions to the letter. Including all documented 'check device manager for COM port number', 'button' presses, '15 second' waits, USB lead plugging etc before running the Firmware updater application included in the un zipped Firmware update folder.

Wayne,

Since you haven't given a full 'step by step' description as I asked of what you have done so far. The following is an edited version of something to try. Apologies if this is what you have done already, but as you didn't provide any detail I have had to assume you haven't.

1. Connect your Elite to Laptop
  2. At some time during the 'Found New HW Wizard' you should be presented with two options. One being let Windows search, the other being 'Browse My Computer For Driver Software' manually'.
  3. CHOOSE the BROWSE MANUALLY option.
  4. Navigate to the folder created when you unzipped the downloaded Hornby Firmware Update ZIP file. Note: you HAVE to UNZIP this downloaded file first before you can use it.
  5. With the folder highlighted in the 'Browse' window click NEXT and follow any on-screen prompts.

If you chose the let Windows automatically search option, then because your PC is Vista there is a high probability that there is no suitable driver in the Windows driver database (there is one for W7 & W8). Thus why your PC could not find it.

Assuming that the instructions above does now install your Elite driver. Then follow the documented update instructions to the letter. Including all documented 'check device manager for COM port number', 'button' presses, '15 second' waits, USB lead plugging etc before running the Firmware updater application included in the un zipped Firmware update folder.

hi after following your instructions i now have 1.42 appear on boot up. So this is correct i think? If so hopefully can use the elite to assign loco addresses etc-thanks

Archived