Sound decoder issue

DJRSPURS

I have the Princess Class Duchess of Montrose with came with DCC factory fitted. I use the NCE Procab power pro controller.

The engine plays all the sounds but does not move in either direction. The power pro indicates a manufacturer number 151, with decoder version 255. I understand the decoder is therefore an ESU Loksound although I am not sure which version it is. The NCE has a decoder repair function which has reset the running number to 3. However it still doesn't run, but all the sounds are available. Interestingly when I look up CV 8, to enter value 8 to reset to factory fittings using this method, the current value comes up as 151. Before using this method I thought I would see what thoughts/views readers may have on this issue.

I also have a second Princess Class, Margaret Rose which I have added a decoder to, but was thinking of adding a sound decoder. If I can establish the decoder used in the Montrose I assume this will fit in the Rose! Again has anyone done this.

CV8 is the manufacturers ID which you say comes up as 151 - ESU (Hornby is 048). The version usually comes up as 255 meaning it can't read it until it has ID'd the chip.

CV8 however usually has the facility (decoder dependant) to reset the decoder to factory settings when you write the value 8 to it.

Providing there are mountings for a speaker or you can fabricate them and the decoder socket layout is similar for the 2 models then you should have no trouble installing sound to the second one. Take a look at their service sheets to see what the layout is before pulling them apart.

You say the loco plays the sounds, but won't move. Temporarily disconnect the wires from the decoder to the motor, and try a pp3 battery or similar, direct to the motor brushes. Does it run now?

If not, there's a mechanical or motor fault. Try the brushes, etc, and once the motor will run with the pp3 power, try reconnecting the decoder and trying again.

If the motor still doesn't run, but maybe twitches when power is supplied, remove the motor from the chassis, and try it on it's own. If it now runs, there is a mechanical jam to trace and rectify, possibly a faulty gear, or the 'motion' rods have been bent or mis-assembled.

CV8 is the manufacturers ID which you say comes up as 151 - ESU (Hornby is 048). The version usually comes up as 255 meaning it can't read it until it has ID'd the chip.

CV8 however usually has the facility (decoder dependant) to reset the decoder to factory settings when you write the value 8 to it.

Providing there are mountings for a speaker or you can fabricate them and the decoder socket layout is similar for the 2 models then you should have no trouble installing sound to the second one. Take a look at their service sheets to see what the layout is before pulling them apart.

Many thanks, when I have had decoder issues previously the Procab stated it couldn't read the chip, in this case I was surprised it said it was an ESU decoder rather than a Hornby one as it was factory fitted. I will go ahead with the usual CV8, value 8 process before stripping the engine.

You say the loco plays the sounds, but won't move. Temporarily disconnect the wires from the decoder to the motor, and try a pp3 battery or similar, direct to the motor brushes. Does it run now?

If not, there's a mechanical or motor fault. Try the brushes, etc, and once the motor will run with the pp3 power, try reconnecting the decoder and trying again.

If the motor still doesn't run, but maybe twitches when power is supplied, remove the motor from the chassis, and try it on it's own. If it now runs, there is a mechanical jam to trace and rectify, possibly a faulty gear, or the 'motion' rods have been bent or mis-assembled.

Many thanks, I will try the factory restore first as per other post and then your advice if the loco still doesn't run.

Many thanks, I will try the factory restore first as per other post and then your advice if the loco still doesn't run.

Just to let you know, I tried CV8/8 and got motion back, but still couldn't turn off the sound before shutting down. Nothing scientific I just pushed the buttons on the remote and when I got to 9, everything rectified itself and loco now running normally.

Archived