Select Control Knob issue.

WilliamDavid

My recently purchased Select controller has, up to yesterday, had a free running control knob.

This has now stiffened up so as to make loco control very unsatisfactory.

Has anybody any ideas what could have caused this?

Also this unit says it is on Firmware 12 (30-03), whereas the manual with it refers to 14-30-03. What should it be, and how does one get it updated?

These knobs usually just push on and yours may be on a bit too far. Just ease it up a bit and see if that helps.

Latest firmware is 1.5 and this can only be done by Hornby - free of charge except for postage from your end. Contact Customer Care (by phone for quickness) to ask for a ref number for the job so you can keep track off it.

If you are sending it in ask Hornby to look at the knob problem as well.

According to another post on this forum the Select firmware was revision 1.5 as of March 2015. The Select firmware upgrade can only be done by Hornby who offer a FREE update service. You only pay for the P&P costs to send it to them. Arrange via Hornby Customer Care Services.

With regard to what caused the stiff control knob, who knows. It would have to be taken apart to assess. Probably something has come undone or broken off inside. Or as RAF says maybe pushed on too far. Suppose you could consider getting Hornby to repair it at the same time as updating the firmware.

The Select has other issues well documented on this forum. It may be worthwhile taking this opportunity to replace the Select with an Elite, which most users on here agree that the Elite is the best DCC controller in the Hornby range.

EDIT, RAF got in just ahead of me. Rob take longer morning coffee breaks please.....Chris

These knobs usually just push on and yours may be on a bit too far. Just ease it up a bit and see if that helps.

Latest firmware is 1.5 and this can only be done by Hornby - free of charge except for postage from your end. Contact Customer Care (by phone for quickness) to ask for a ref number for the job so you can keep track off it.

If you are sending it in ask Hornby to look at the knob problem as well.

Thank you sir,that was quick.

I managed to loosen knob as you suggested. It was not easy as it is domed and doesn't provide any purchase.

Seems a bit off that a unit I purchase two weeks ago is 3 updates behind. Is the upgrade worthwhile?

According to another post on this forum the Select firmware was revision 1.5 as of March 2015. The Select firmware upgrade can only be done by Hornby who offer a FREE update service. You only pay for the P&P costs to send it to them. Arrange via Hornby Customer Care Services.

With regard to what caused the stiff control knob, who knows. It would have to be taken apart to assess. Probably something has come undone or broken off inside. Or as RAF says maybe pushed on too far. Suppose you could consider getting Hornby to repair it at the same time as updating the firmware.

The Select has other issues well documented on this forum. It may be worthwhile taking this opportunity to replace the Select with an Elite, which most users on here agree that the Elite is the best DCC controller in the Hornby range.

EDIT, RAF got in just ahead of me. Rob take longer morning coffee breaks please.....Chris

Thanks for your reply.

If the knob tightens up again I will send it to Hornby and have it updated as well.

I'm new to this dcc malarky, and have been chipping most of my locos. Some locos that say dcc ready are not. I had to remove the socket and hard wire on some to make room for the decoder. All good fun.

Already I am thinking of upgrading the controller (I failed on an Elite on ebay- no bargains on there anymore) but will try to improve my knowledge first.

As I said in last post, Select has other well documented issues. Some of which have been addressed in recent firmware updates. In the case of Select, Yes I am of the opinion that getting it updated to 1.5 would be worthwhile doing if you intend to keep it..

Glad that RAF's suggestion worked for you.

Was the Select included as part of a 'train set'. These 'sets' do tend to sit on retailers shelves for some considerable time.

As I said in last post, Select has other well documented issues. Some of which have been addressed in recent firmware updates. In the case of Select, Yes I am of the opinion that getting it updated to 1.5 would be worthwhile doing if you intend to keep it..

Glad that RAF's suggestion worked for you.

Was the Select included as part of a 'train set'. These 'sets' do tend to sit on retailers shelves for some considerable time.

No, I bought it from Amazon for £96.27.

Cheers.

The Select is ok as a starter in DCC with Hornby's own DCC modules/chips, BUT as it is not NMRA certified, as stated in its documentation, it does cause all sorts of problems with other makes of modules/chips as has been well covered in this forum :)

Archived