Can you destroy half an R8014?

choralc

When testing the installation of Lenz 150S decoders One port seemed to be applying power for at least 3-5 seconds at a time. This happened a few times before I disconnected the power and replaced the point motor installation to under the track. All the other 17 ports (three decoders) fired as expected so I decided to reset the decoder.

It now only fires the point in one direction but not the other. Before replacing the wiring tomorrow I was thinking that perhaps this port had been set up to work a slow-action motor and hence the long application of power.

So is it possible that one terminal (green) has been fried but the other terminal (red) will still work? I don't think I've damaged the decoder port because when I brought it inside for a reset I tested a different point motor and on all ports it worked in both directions.

Have I damaged the wiring between the motor and the decoder?

I intend to move wires around tomorrow to narrow it down before having to unsolder wires and remove track yet again.

The obvious error is that you have NOT connected the 'common' wire on the motor to the 'common' on the decoder, so although it will fire one way, it has no circuit in the other direction.

I've not used Lenz, so I cannot comment on the programming.

2e I most certainly did connect all three wires :) I will check that  the extension wire I soldered on and then sealed with heat shrink does have continuity and that where it 'plugs' in has metal contact rather than insulation.

As I said I had tested the unit when I reset it before replacing into the layout which is why I was wondering if I had destroyed the R8014.

Archived