Walkabout controller

Fireman_Ian

The reason you can't use an Elite as walkabout to another Elite is that they have equivalent intelligence, whereas the Select is dumb and doesn't try to take control, merely passes messages along for action by big bro'. Any other walkabout controller would likewise have to be dumb to avoid communications conflict.

Can't see any reason for a Walkabout to have to be dumb, just have a Walkabout facility in its firmware.

Ian, if it were me, I'd solve it by consigning the Select permanently to the bottom drawer.

Fishman I would love to dump the Select but I really need a walkabout and I dont think any of the better ones will work with the Elite so that would mean dumping that aswell, then nothing works with RailMaster so ------------???

You can use Elite, Railmaster and smartphone or tablet, that would make a better walkabout as you can do it wirelessly and you would have 4 digit address and 28 function sound capability.  Some cost involved and you need to have a wireless network where your layout is, but worth considering.

As an alternative to a walkabout controller, have you thought about voice control?  I use Railmaster with Elink, a wireless headset and it works !.  Have a little trouble with the Stop command (Just doesn't like my Bristol accent), but that is down to the speech recognition software which is Microsoft.  I just resort to using Speed zero which it happily accepts.  I find I get a much finer speed control this way, than using the railmaster screen or a mouse scroll wheel.    I control the locos, points and turntable using voice control.  The layout doesn't have signals yet, but they will be controlled the same way.  If you have a layout of a reasonable size, you will probably need some sort of prompt sheet for loco names and point numbers, as you may not be able to see the computer VDU.

Archived