TRAINS GOING BESERK

shippingboy

I am in the process of rebuilding the layout and am still running everything with an Elite controller - and everything is fine until I run a Midland Pullman made by the competition begiining with B ....  starting from cold everything works ok for about 10 minutes and then if I stop the Pullman and restart then every loco on the system starts at the same time - creating unimageinable chaos  - I have contact B and asked them for help and they suggest contact with Hornby - before I do that has anyone else had a similar problem ??  or does anyone have any ideas - if I take the Pullman off the track everything is back to normal - it has factory fitted Decoders  !!

As loco control returns to normal operation when the Pullman is removed from the track I don't think the Elite will be at fault. The Pullman on the other hand ......... R-

The fact that it happens after 10 minutes suggests an overload caused by overheating, (how many locos are you running), but that still shouldn't result in all the other locos running away is if they were detecting DC power, which is why I suggested resetting the Elite.

It's also a good idea to turn DC off in all locos in CV29.

Sounds to me like a dodgy decoder in the B team set is overheating then disrupting the DCC signal to the rest of the fleet which see it as straight DC and loopy.

Don't ask me how it could do this as I don't know.

As RogB says its not likely to be the Elite due to normal running when the Pullman is removed.

As poliss says make sure all the other locos have DC running turned off in CV29. An easy way to check is lift each loco and press a PP3 9v battery against the driving wheels. If they whizz round then DC running is enabled, if not its not.

If everything returns to normal when you remove the Bachmann from the track, it sounds very like this Loco is causing the problem.  I certainly would NOT reset the Elite just because of a problem caused by one Loco.  As stated above, if it is within warranty take it back or even if not and you bought it from a recognised dealer, take it back for investigation.

I once had a problem where a short caused all my Loco's that were on the layout at the time to reset to the default id of 3.  This doesn't appear to be the case with yours though, if everything returns to normal when the offending Loco is removed.  I had to reprogram all of the decoders that were on the layout.

I have a Bachmann Midland Pullman set, and use an Elink with Railmaster.  Gives me no problem at all. I believe there is a chip in each power car, which should be set to the same code.  Suggest you test each power car separately to see if both give the same problem, and check that both have the same code.  Obviously they are wired in opposition so coach A will go forward and reverse as you expect, Coach F will be in reverse (ie selecting forward will make it go backwards).  I think I recoded mine separately.

I believe the Elite and Elink are essentially the same firmware, and am not aware of any reported problems.

If checking the coding etc doesn't work then I would be thinking one or other chips are faulty.

It'll delete the names, if I remember correctly, but they can always be replaced without too much trouble.

Several people have reported that resetting their Elite has fixed odd loco behaviour. I'd do it before going to all the trouble of taking the loco back to the shop.

Archived