SR.53

Sorry to "rain on the parade" but according to Trevor Snowdon (Mr. Airfix), these moulds were never retrieved from Heller at Trun.

According to Paul Davies (the decal man) they were last used by a company in Eastern Europe in the '90's(?) where they produced the kit in a 'disgusting' shade of blue!                                                                                

Unless, of course, anyone out there knows better?

Many kits have been replaced, have other manufacturers now, or have moulds lost or sold (such as the railway series). However, may I please make the case for the SR.53? As far as I know, no one else has kitted this kit, and the subject represents quite possibly the high water mark, or near there, of the British aviation industry. I am quite sure I would purchase one, or more, and I think many patriotic chaps will too.

Might have to be a new tool as I was under the impression the tools disappeared when loaned out to a Russian outfit!

Yes indeed an SR-53 please. BUT as already mentioned the tooling (moulds) for this kit vanished off into Europe somewhere and no-one seems to know exactly where. I have seen this marketed by a company called URSES from Eastern Europe and another company who's name I forget. But should the good people of Airfix like to 'clone' their own kit I would be happy to send them one from my collection. 

Forgot to mention, it is an unopened unmade kit.

Astra, Poland.This firm began in 1994 but ended production after the kits listed were issued:Saunders-Roe SR.53 (ex-Airfix)Lublin R.XIIID (ex-Mackowski)Lublin R.XIII ter (ex-Mackowski)Ursus, Poland.This Polish factory (SR Ursus) issued a copy of the ex-Airfix 1/72 SR.53 in the late 1960's.  Two other kits were planned but never issued: Polikarpov Po-2 & Sukhoi Su-9

Question for those in the know. If the moulds have disappeared, but original spruces are still around (assuming in good condition), how difficult/expensive would it be for a limited run, with new moulds made from the sprues? Possibly even in resin? It seems that the most popular Lazarus kit in this forum is the SR.53

Got a horrible one, all sprayed silver made in Poland or the USSR many years ago.  Would love a brand new Airfix one and some "what if" markings.

I have one built from this issue. Just checked my records and I didn't keep the instructions.If you still have yours, or the box, the address is printed in Polish. Can you send the address in and perhaps the mould can be retrieved. The company was called URSUS  

Archived