1/600 Charles F. Adams-class destroyer Rommel

I'm not sure why Airfix originally chose to model the Lutjens-class Rommel, of which three were built, rather than the much more numerous (29 built) Charles F. Adams class, but the kit has numerous conversion possibilities as a result. The kit can also serve as the basis for the three Australian Navy Perth-class destroyers. It now goes for very high prices on ebay.

• 2 months later...

Gotta say this is at the top of my list of wants, I even have 6 What-ifs fully planned, but as I wrote on the Airfix Tribute Forum;

"I've built this model three times, the last as DDG-39 HMAS Hobart, unfortunately none survive. I need approx 12 of this kit, and the prices on ebay have been extraordinarily high, I've even contacted Airfix and got back some canned response about thanks for my 'suggestion' ??? Huh?? Can anyone shine some light on this?There were 29 of this DDG built, both short and long hull, 23 USN, 3 FGN & 3 RAN, plus 4 ex-USN hulls transferred to the Greek navy, that's 32 possible ship models!!"

I don't understand why I got an obviously 'canned' response from Airfix that did not answer my question, all that they needed to say were that the molds were fine and a rerelease may be possible.

In frustration I finally bought a 1973 issue Rommel from a US collector (Old Model Kits) for $84.00 AUD including postage, so if I'm willing to pay that, whats the prob with re-releasing this kit? I'm considering having my Rommel laser scanned and then having 3D prints made so I can continue with my project.

Seems to me it's not the kits, it's 1/600 scale that may be the problem in the marketing team's eyes even if there were a possible 32 ships that could be modelled from this one set of molds.

Archived