Fairey Rotodyne

I got one off e-bay awhile ago.  When I see just how much work it would take to make a half-way decent model (ill fitting rear cargo doors etc) it goes back into its box untill I'm feeling more masochistic.  Unfortunately, the same can be said about a lot of the other 60's produced kits being suggested after you take off the rose coloured glasses.

I got one off e-bay awhile ago.  When I see just how much work it would take to make a half-way decent model (ill fitting rear cargo doors etc) it goes back into its box untill I'm feeling more masochistic.  Unfortunately, the same can be said about a lot of the other 60's produced kits being suggested after you take off the rose coloured glasses.

That's most of the fun of building old kits! All kits need a bit of sanding and filling and scratch building any missing details just adds to the enjoyment.

The trick with the rear cargo doors, is to fit them to the fuselage so they are flush with the exterior before gluing the fuselage halves together. From memory the doors are narrower than the fuselage. Then sanding the joins on the rear part of the fuselage, behind the rotor hub, until the doors and the fuselage are level.  

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I would not have the patience, however I personally know a few dozen that would. Not only that but it would demonstrate to those who know no better that an autogyro is very capable indeed.

Available from the usual South American river...    Have a read of the series - rough timeline

June 1940 - Britain surrenders, but Empire fights on

1947 - WW2 ends with a massive SAC B-36 attack on Germany

1959 - INS Hood vs HIJMS Yamato

1960s/70s  - SAC B58s & B70s vs. anyone President LeMay doesn't get on with

Won't say more but (IMHO) the whole series is worth reading

Archived