Lights don't work on DCC

I have got three of my locos working on railmaster. My 125 is fine as it has no lights.

My EWS coal train deisal has lights but they dont work?

My 3 car DMU has lights and the back car lights are permanently on and nothing else.

The lights on/off function dies nothing.

Help please..........................

1973, as this is your first post, welcome to the forum.

What DCC controller are you using it has a bearing on potential answers?

Were these locos bought DCC equipped or did you convert them yourself?

What are the loco stock code numbers i.e Hornby = Rnnnn Bachmann = nn-nnn where n are numbers?

Thanks for the reply.

The EWS deisal is a dapol. It is ND109 Class 66 diesel 66222 and came dcc ready with the dcc socket. (lights dont work)

The 3 car DMU is a Bachmann branchline and again came dcc ready with a socket in the power car and the dummy. (the dummy car lights are on white and no other lights work)

I am using railmaster with e-link through a laptop.

Hope you can help

I take it then 1973 that you have fitted the DCC decoders yourself to the DCC ready sockets in the locos.

For lights to work you need to set Bit 1 in CV29 to 'On' (Speed Steps = 128)

I'm assuming that the above statement has gone completely over your head, so I will try to simplify.

First of all you need to learn how to read and write loco decoder CVs. This is something you can easily do with RM /eLink, but not possible with Hornby Select, hence the question about what controller you are using.

Review RM Manual Pages 69 to 71 - put your loco on the programming track (the piece of track connected directly to the program output of your eLink).

Read the loco CVs as per instructions in the manual. In particular look at the value for CV29.

Look at this web site, you'll see that Bit 1 of CV29 when set (ticked) sets the loco speed steps to 128. Use the CV29 calculator to compare the value you found for CV29, against the operational running configurations you require. The calculator on the web site will populate the check boxes if you enter your decoder's value of CV29 in it (bottom row) and click the 'BackCalc' button.

The chances are, if you bought the DCC decoder as a blank, that CV29 is set at 0 (zero). The most common settings for basic DCC running, operational lighting and addressing for CV29 is either 6 (Speed Steps = 128 and optional DC running support enabled) or 2 (Speed Steps = 128). As stated previously, Speed Steps need to be set at 128 for lights to function when using the F0 command.

If this is still confusing you see RM Manual Page 71 regarding configuring CV29 as RM includes a pop-up configuration box, just make sure 128 Speed Steps is ticked. Then follow the manual to write the new CV29 value to the decoder.

Replace loco on main track and test using F0 function.

If this doesn't cure your issue then report back what you have and haven't done and include the CV29 decimal values you have written to your decoder(s). Ensure the CV29 values have correctly registered in the decoder by reading them back to confirm them.

Setting CV29 correctly, cures the bulk of user directional lights not working issues.

As well as setting 128 speed steps, I'd be double checking you have put your decoders in the right way around.  With 8 pin decoders, they work in that the loco runs if you haven't matched pin 1 on the decoder to pin 1 on the socket, but the lights don't work, at least most of them don't. You could even try turning them around to see if it makes a difference, won't cause any damage.

A point of clarification, you stated your locos are: Dapol ND109 and that 3 Car DMU is a Bachmann Branch Line.

I see that the Dapol ND109 is an 'N' Gauge loco, but Bachmann Branchline are all 00 Gauge. Bachmann 'N' Gauge are marketed under the Bachmann Graham Farish brand. Did you mean Graham Farish (by Bachmann) for the DMU or have you genuinely got a mixed gauge layout?

If all 'N' Gauge, then I would assume that all DCC decoder sockets are 6 pin, not 8 pin thus FMoz reversal suggestion, probably isn't relevant.

Thanks for all the coments and help. I have got the lights working on the Dapol EWS but am confused with the 2 sockets on the graham farish DMU. I have programed the power unit and the lights work etc but dont know what to do about the back car??? This is really complicated but I am sure it will be worth it.

Anyone know of how to convert n gauge minitrix warships???

You could try swapping the decoders over, programme the one for the back car in the power car socket, making sure to reverse the lights, then swap them back again.

I have guides for converting the Warship, but they're in German, not English I'm afraid. (The Warship is the DB Class 221, but with a different body.)

1973, you never said, but I take it the problem was correctly identified as CV29 being set incorrectly?

I haven't got any twin decoder DMUs myself, but I'm sure somebody will be along in due course who does. I daresay there is a 'best practice' approach to configuring twin decoder installations.

Some decoders need a motor load before they can be programmed.  For them, poliss's approach is best practice (why would he advise otherwise).  If a load isn't needed, they can be programmed together or separately on the same address as installed then the running direction reversed for the rear car.

The latest firmware revision for the Elite fixes a problem seen in a previous firmware revision that had stymied programming of dummy cars, so if you have a dummy car to program and an Elite at v1.42 to program it with it should work OK now - motor load or not.

According to HCC (and my flaky memory) Fishy, v1.42 also gives compatibility with some Bachmann decoders (which was a decoder problem but Hornby felt the need to provide Elite users with a solution) and improved networking comms (Expressnet or Railcom - not sure now).

OK. thanks again for this invaluable help. I am really learning as I am going.

Another issue that has cropped up:

I have converted one of my minitrix class 27. placed on programming track and it reads CV1 no problem. I try then to alter it to 004 which it does and then write it to the chip. When I then read it again the chip has a totally different number again and it wont accept any changes???

Any help???

I see from earlier you are using RM and eLink to read and write these changes, despite all the subsequent chat about the Elite.

I presume you are aux-fait with how to do this but repeat for the benefit of those who may not be:

On a dedicated programming track attached to the eLink Prog terminals, read the CVs in the RM Loco settings screen using the Information (i) icon and then green tick, once all values are read then you can amend your desired CV values and press the pencil/write icon to write these to the decoder. RM will say writing, then will confirm the written value by turning it green in the CV value listings.

If you have access to another controller e.g.Elite have you tried changing CVs from that.

Your comments on a perceived RM anomaly please:

When I want to change a CV, after having read them sucessfully, I have to click in the value box, then backspace the existing numbers out before typing in the new numbers.

If I just highlight the numbers and press delete or try to overtype it won't accept the new value.

Anyone else seen this or is it just a foible of my pc.

Also when I click in the value box and start to backspace as it deletes the first number (i.e. last of 1 2 3 say) it then flashes up a dialogue telling me the number is out of range and it can only be 'this to that'. I then have to click OK and then click back in the value box to continue deleting the other 2 numbers - what a pest that is.

Archived