Failed Handshake Test

Wayne, hi, this is not an unusual message. Normally means you have tried to connect before hard drive has caught up, eg, lights are still flashing. Turn everything offf, unplug, mains, usb, reconnect, follow my sequence in Railmaster locked thread, basically, wait, wait, wait, between operations. Should be ok then. All it means, is rm, could not recognise elink, eg, bridge across. I had it for weeks, when i started, as too quick to start everything up. Let us know how you get on. There is a connection sequence, in locked thread. john

The thing is John, Wayne has an Elite with RM , not an eLink. Only know this because Wayne has been a regular poster recently.

Wayne, your post is not making an awful lot of sense to me. Are you saying that when you start RM you get the little message box that normally appears saying 'conecting to Elite', then if it can't find the Elite, the message box gives a message saying ' trying other comms ports'. Then if it still fails to find the Elite, a message box appears where you have to click a green tick to continue into RM without the controller being activated.

If in your case I am NOT decribing what you are seeing, then could you provide a more detailed description of exactly what is happening in your situation.

If I am decribing accurately your situation the go into Windows Device Manager and see if the controller is listed. If it is then take a mental note of the Com port number and compare against that shown in RM in 'Settings'. They should be the same. If it is not listed in Device Manager, then Windows is not detecting the Elite when you plug it into the Laptop and loading the driver.

From memory, If I recall correctly you are using Vista and the Hornby provided driver, so it should be listed as Elite R8214 in Device Manager in the comms port section. Note: If the Elite has not been detected via Plug 'n' Play, then the Elite entry in Device Manager will not be present. Thus it is not there for RM to find.

Also, unplug and replug your USB lead at both ends. It just might be a dodgy connection.

The thing is John, Wayne has an Elite with RM , not an eLink. Only know this because Wayne has been a regular poster recently.

Wayne, your post is not making an awful lot of sense to me. Are you saying that when you start RM you get the little message box that normally appears saying 'conecting to Elite', then if it can't find the Elite, the message box gives a message saying ' trying other comms ports'. Then if it still fails to find the Elite, a message box appears where you have to click a green tick to continue into RM without the controller being activated.

If in your case I am NOT decribing what you are seeing, then could you provide a more detailed description of exactly what is happening in your situation.

If I am decribing accurately your situation the go into Windows Device Manager and see if the controller is listed. If it is then take a mental note of the Com port number and compare against that shown in RM in 'Settings'. They should be the same. If it is not listed in Device Manager, then Windows is not detecting the Elite when you plug it into the Laptop and loading the driver.

From memory, If I recall correctly you are using Vista and the Hornby provided driver, so it should be listed as Elite R8214 in Device Manager in the comms port section. Note: If the Elite has not been detected via Plug 'n' Play, then the Elite entry in Device Manager will not be present. Thus it is not there for RM to find.

Also, unplug and replug your USB lead at both ends. It just might be a dodgy connection.

Yeah sorry iam using an elink. It's ok now. 

I think RM is going to to take up a lot of time so I have now set it up separate from the main layout so I can dip in and out whilst figuring everything out.

But you have got an Elite Wayne, haven't you. Did you not buy it second hand, and I helped you to get the Firmware updated to 1.42 ?

If I recall, did you not upgrade to Elite, because of all the connection issues you were having with your previous eLink. If you are now using RM with your eLink again, then you will get the issues that John correctly pointed you to his locked post for.

PS, Wayne, there is no need to keep using the Blue Quote button duplicating the previous yellow box text. Just scroll down and use the Green reply button text box. Reading the thread is easier to follow that way.

Obviously got my controller upgrade status memories mixed up with someone else.

Just be aware, as the RM / eLink combination is a new purchase, then you will probably experience connnection and maintaining stable connection issues. Hence John's locked thread giving advice. Many users have ditched their RM / eLink combo in favour of the RM / Elite one because of these well documented problems.

PS - Notice how these text dialogues now flow better without all the yellow text boxes getting in the way.

That would be unfair of me to answer as the only combo I have ever had is the RM / Elite one and that would be my personal preference, obviously. But if this question ever went to an open referendum (topical in the news at present), then my money would be on RM / Elite winning a landslide victory (based on only Hornby products being eligible to enter).

Put it this way. John started with RM / eLink, and is now a committed RM / Elite fan. As are many others here.

I also come into the "started-out-with-RM/E-Link-but moved-to-RM/Elite-when-I couldn't-get-it-to-work-and-have-not-looked-back" brigade. E-link now languishes in a drawer somewhere until all those little technology ducks are all lined up. R-

Wayne, just to put to bed any possible confusion, all you have learnt using RM with eLink is exactly the same using RM with Elite. The controller whether it be Elite or eLink is just the interface between RM and your DCC locos and DCC accessories. The RM driver is the same. The RM software and the way it works is the same. It just works better (more reliably) with the Elite as opposed to the eLink.

Connect your Elite to your track, connect your laptop (RM) to your Elite via the USB cable and control your layout with RM the same as you would with eLink.

The RM / Elite combo has one additional benefit. As well as controlling your locos with the software throttles in RM, you can still control two locos using the two Elite knobs AT THE SAME TIME. The Elite and RM throttles are synchronised.

Note this however. Only use the Elite physical knobs for throttles when synchronised with RM. For function buttons and accessories (points for example) only use the RM interface. It is only the throttles that are synchronised between devices at present with the current firmware / software.

Remember, if you connect RM to your Elite, you will need to go into RM 'Settings' and select Elite as your 'A' Controller. At present it probably has the 'A' Controller set as being the eLink.

Just for the sake of clarity read this additional text regarding my reference to synchronised throttles in previous post.

I should have added that the two locos you want to control with the Elite physical throttles when synchornised to RM still have to be selected using the Elite 'loco' button. If the same two loco throttles are visible on the RM screen, then you will see the screen display sliders moving as you turn the physical knobs. Just selecting the loco in RM DOES NOT automatically assign them to the Elite physical knobs, you have to use the Elite 'loco' button just as you would if using the Elite on its own.

That's another benefit of using RM in combination with Elite. If you just want a quick play or just test something out on the fly. You can just use the Elite as a 'stand-alone' controller. You don't have to fire up your PC and run RM. With eLink, you would.

Make sure Wayne that you alter the baud rate. You will no doubt have thought of it anyway, just thought I'd better say it. Can't think what it is off hand. No doubt Chris will. R-

... I think RM is going to to take up a lot of time so I have now set it up separate from the main layout so I can dip in and out whilst figuring everything out.

I was surprised to read this Wayne and I think from reading the follow on posts that this is probably not the way you are now going to go.

I have Elite with RM and the beauty of it for me is that exactly the same layout can be controlled, just by the Elite (without even switching the computer on), or by switching the computer and Elite on, it can be controlled by RailMaster or the Elite, or even both together.

I do find it easier though to use the throttles of the Elite, rather than the sliders of RailMaster but I find the Track Layout of RailMaster is easier and quicker to operate the points.

I do find it easier though to use the throttles of the Elite, rather than the sliders of RailMaster but I find the Track Layout of RailMaster is easier and quicker to operate the points.

That is exactly how I use the combination RDS. I looked at several other systems, before settling on the Hornby system (and also since) and, for me, this is the best set-up. Not for everyone though I agree. R-

I came by my elink, solely as it came as part of Majestic set, which was, and still is, the best value entry into DCC. I knew nothing about DCC, did no research, just applied my bankers value for money background, to purchase. As a result of location problems, eg, living in remote france, as WTD, has seen, after  a time, when a  competatively priced Elite became available, i  took the plunge, mainly, as my arthritic hands dislike using a mouse, and since then, have never looked back. It is extremely useful, when fitting/ testing points, locos, etc, to just turn elite on/ off, saving a lot of waiting time, for pc/ RM, to fire up.  The Elink, if you follow guidelines, and live in a sensible place, as many have found, does the job, asked of it, admirably, but there is this frustrating delay, when visitors/ children drop in, whilst it all comes to life, much of which, is nothing to do with elink, but more to do with laptop speed/ proceedure. With the Elite in situ, you can run layout, immediately, to play trains, while you allow RM, to come up to speed.  I am delighted with the versatility, i now have, but of course, it has come, at a price. It would be nice, if   the Elite, totally mirrored RM,, but overall, i think, i now have a complete set up. john

Archived