What is this? Loco ID for RM

One of the problems Wayne is that your post with picture doesn't appear at all until the picture has been moderated.  In the interim, all that appears is is a blank thread with no first post at all, at least until someone starts to talk about tildas on their mirror, other worms in their garden, or bats in their belfry.

Its more sensible if you are starting a new thread with a photo, to post a text only version saying a photo is coming after moderation, then post again with the photo attached. The people won't see just a blank post and reply off topic before it even gets started.

I look forward to seeing what 'what' is.

I always wondered what that squiggly character on a keyboard was called, Fishy. Just checked it. Tilde(s), as opposed to your apparently incorrect tilda(s). Another hat winging its way to you in the post! You really must try to learn the Queen's English............

When a brother of mine and I started to learn Atari Basic years ago we didn't know what the "#" symbol meant for some years, calling it a "matrix," which seemed somewhere near appropriate (to us anyway). Eventually we realised it wash a "hash" sign.......made a hash of it, didn't we?

Tilda is either a Nissan or a Fiat over here - can't remember which now.

I called the hash sign a squares sign for years. I suppose its more like an italic tic-tak-toe (OXO) grid than a square.

And maybe you should be less diacritical Graskie.  At least I know what it is.

Ah...:

Cases of synalepha (elision of one word to the following) and diaeresis (separation of two vowels within the same word) are properly marked with diacritical signs.

...or was it something else...

Dictionary.com: Diacritic

1. Also called diacritical mark. a mark, point, or sign added or attached to a letter or character to distinguish it from another of similar form, to give it a particular phonetic value, to indicate stress, etc., as a cedilla, tilde, circumflex, or macron.

Good dance move of yours too Graskie.

Archived