Locomotive list

Can someone tell me which file contains my list of locos pkease. I had a catastrophic laptop failure at the weekend and had to do a complete reinstall of windows. Luckily, I had been using RM on a different computer and still had all the files on there so was able to find the current pln file but unsure where the loco list is kept. Thanks.

Teed, sorry to hear of your probs. Was it as a result of trying Elite upgrade. john

Hi John,  No I didn't get as far as that. I got hit with a virus called Cryptowall. It's a ransomeware bug that encrypts all your files and then tells you to go to a web site to pay a ransome in exchange for a key to de-crypt them. Obviously I wasn't going to do that so tried to clean it up but it got o my backups as well. So, I've ended up re-formatting the C drive and done a fresh install of win7. The install went OK followed by hundreds of updates!!

So now I have re-installed RM but I am having problems trying to activate it again because I didn't get a chance to de-activate it when the virus hit me. I've tried explaining to HRMS but they are suspicious and so far refused to fix it for me, even sugesting I might have bought a second hand copy off eBay!!!!!

While that's going on I thought I would set it up as it was. I've copied all the files across including resource.mdb but it still not showing my locos. Not a happy bunny atm to say the least.

Teed, sorry to hear all this . What antivirus do you use, as most, including mine, if you get hit, will not only help, but compensate. Regarding RM, have you spoken to Mark Lodge, in person yet. He is the man to help. john

I'm using the following after reading about it on here:

Avast anti-virus

Spybot

Malwarebytes (I've now bought the uograded version that works all the time rather than the free passive one)

Regarding the RM situation, I'll give HRMS another day to come back to me before I escalate it.

Yup, you are prob right. norton updates daily, and scans, constantly. Great shame, and a lot of work for you. If they nicked my files, as rm, not on line, all they would get would be daily emails to family, and good riddance. john

"guaranteed virus proof"? There aint no such animal. How could they know about a brand new virus? First it has to be out in the wild before they can work out how to catch it.

You may have reformatted your hard drive tee, but that doesn't necessarily mean the virus is gone.

"guaranteed virus proof"? There aint no such animal. How could they know about a brand new virus? First it has to be out in the wild before they can work out how to catch it.

You may have reformatted your hard drive tee, but that doesn't necessarily mean the virus is gone.

OK, where is it hiding then, under my desk?

I'm with you on thisJohn. I also have had Norton for many years and easily removed it from a PC when changing to a new one.

I have never had a virus or malware corrupt my PC yet and the latest versions use very little resource.

Installing Railmaster and activating it was no problem either.

I have 3 PC's protected by it and do not have to remember to do anything and the cost is minimal.

I did try some of the free ones but you either get loads of unwanted emails and advertising or you have to remember to keep updating and running them. Not for me.

There was a time when I used to swear by Norton products (as opposed to swearing at them). I’m talking pre-Symantec days. Once Norton sold out to Symantec, Norton products turned into ‘bloatware’.

I didn’t realise just how many PC resources Norton (Symantec) Security was hogging, until I uninstalled it. With Norton removed, my PC turned into a speed freak by comparison. I now exclusively use ESET NOD32 anti-virus and I can’t fault it. It is a little bit more expensive than Norton, but in my opinion well worth the extra dosh. It works without issue with RM too. And my PC is just as fast as ever.

ESET NOD32 was a ‘best buy’ for Windows recommendation for a number of consecutive years. This was the reason I tried it, I’ve now been using it for about 7 years.

Never heard of ESET?......they are big in Corporate Security.

PS - Current version is version 8, not the version 7 that Google throws up in a search.

Thanks for that Chris - certainly worth the 30 day trial if only to uninstall McAfee (pre-installed at purchase) so now I wont have the annoying pop-up asking me to re-new subscription. Result! R-

If the virus is in the Master Boot Record (MBR) then formatting your hard drive may not remove it.

You can never be certain that your computer hasn't been infected by a virus, after all, last November Microsoft discovered a bug in Windows, that had been there for 19 years, that left your computer vulnerable to malicious code.

so now I wont have the annoying pop-up asking me to re-new subscription. Result!

Roger, just for completeness of information. NOD32 is, like most paid for AV products, a subscription based service. However, if you buy a three year license (three years gives a discounted price) the renewel reminder only occurs once every third year. What amazes me with the NOD32 product, is the number of times the virus database file gets updated. The update happens in the background without user intervention. I have regularly seen more than one update happen in any given 12 - 24 hour period (my PC tends to be on for more than 12 hours a day, even if not actually being used).

As well as all the normal scanning actions. E-mails, downloads etc. It will also warn you if you click on a link taking you to what it considers to be a doggy site via your Browser. Or if any of the links embedded on any given web page are in the doggy site database, the links are highlighted in a pop-up. NOD32 really does try to provide the maximum protection but without being overly intrusive. Yet it does all this with the minimal use of Windows resources.

If the virus is in the Master Boot Record (MBR) then formatting your hard drive may not remove it.

Poliss is right. Just using the 'Format' command in isolation may not remove really embedded malicious code. Preceding 'Format' with 'Fdisk' via a DOS prompt (Bootable repair CD/DVD or USB stick for example) is more likely to give the hard drive a really through clean.

Using Fdisk on a previously formatted drive will re-create the hard disk partition(s) from scratch. This should in theory be a 'clean slate'. Not totally sure, but I think there are some extreme forms of virus that can even evade Fdisk, but I think these are rare.

If I might bring my thread back on topic....

Resource.mdb for some reason didn't work. No matter, it was an incomplete list for reasons mentioned earlier. I have just re-loaded all my locos manually and saved it. The kind gentlemen at HRMS helped me re-activate my RM and Pro-update so I'm now an officially happy bunny again <huge smiley face>

@ Chrissaf

like most paid for AV products, a subscription based service

Happy with that Chris - it's that it was McAfee (which I didn't want, and which does interfere with RM) repeatedly asking me to buy a subscription after the free (!) 12 months had expired. I'll give NOD a go, although I am frustrated at the lack of desktop icon, and see how it pans out. R-

Roger, the NOD32 icon appears in the desktop 'task bar' (bottom RHS). If it doesn't appear, right click the task bar and choose 'properties', then click 'customize'. Then for 'ESET main GUI' select 'show icon & notifications' against it in the drop down box.

With the icon now showing in the task bar, double left clicking or right clicking and choosing menu 'open' option will open NOD32.

You can always create a desktop item by finding the relevant .exe file in the programs (or programsx86) folders. Right click on it and select "Create a Shortcut". When done, grab the shortcut and drag it onto your desktop. I usually then rename it by removing "shortcut" and then drag it done onto my taskbar. I've done this with RM, only one click to open it..

Archived