Flying Scotsman TTS Sound Jerky Start?

johnbet

Got my new Flying Scotsman and am a little concerned that at slow start off speed it is jerky. Is anyone esle experiencing this and is there a solution?

Also some of the sounds only appear to function when the main sound is switched on as opposed to them being stated to all operate even when the main sound is not switched on.

Otherwise a nice model and good value.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

My TTS Scotsman is having the same problem with jerky slow speed and is very poor runner with the sound cuting out at slow speed .also has anyone noticed the name plate says flyinc scotsman not fiying scotsman ? Will try the cv change later to see if that helps  

I seem to have posted this with a different hornby account for some reason 

Just an update about my TTS scontsman I ran it for over an hour and it's still not a very good runner at all .the sound stops and restarts when running .I have reset the decoder and oiled the loco I also checked the decoder was in the 8 socket correct .looking like a call to hornby on Monday 

Hi - I've also got the same 'jerky start' problem with my new tts Flying Scotsman, even after a fair amount of running in. I returned it to the model shop (Bournemouth Models - great shop, very good service) and whilst they had it for a few days and looked at the decoder, ran it on a clean track, etc.... They've admitted defeat and have returned her to Hornby. Hopefully they can sort this problem out, but good to know (sort of!) that's it's not just me. 

I have just purchasd the Scotsman and have the jerky start problem though it is very minor and only occurs when starting off at shunt speed and in the forward direction. Reverse is fine and when I give her the berries, it is smooth. Sound is fine. The cruise speed seems a bit slow so does anyone know what address number CV to tweak?  

I have tried three of these locos and tried cv tweak and running in both ways all to no avail.

I am no expert but I suspect the New sound decoder is the problem,

I have three Railroad locos Mallard, Evening Star  and Falcon, all run as smooth as silk, even on very slow speed but they are not sound.

I returned all three locos and will wait to see if Hornby improve on the situation  before I buy another one,a real shame as all other aspects of the loco are really good.

It seems obvious by the amount of comments that this is a common problem and reflects badly on TTS Models as I have heard other TTS models,ie Cock of the North etc suffer the same problems.

Still good value though, if you dont run your models at slow speed for realism.

TED

Poliss, I hope you have more notice taken of this suggestion than they took when I made it 2/3rds of the way down page 1. We now have 8 posters and a model shop seemingly unable to solve this problem, despite many reporting it solved by changing algorithm soon after TTS locos were first released.  And if my memory serves me correctly, the reports only mention changing CV150 with no one having to change the related P and I parameters or Back EMF to solve it. And not one of the 8 having reported here having tried it, or whether it worked.

But then, what would I know, I have no TTS locos, in fact no skin in this game at all given all that can be at risk is another of Graskie's hats which I may be talking through. And only a very plain one of them at that - no need for corks, directional lights, flickering firebox glow or even custom sounds of a typical outback camp scene.  But I digress. CV150 guys, read all about it on page 7 of your leaflet.

I'm not so sure changing the CV settings will cure this problem for everyone. I bought a Duke of Gloucester and it wasn't the smoothest engine from starting off. After running in and applying oil it still wasn't as I would expect. After talking with the model shop I bought if from and reading on here I changed the CV150 setting and it did make an improvement. Not as smooth as some but I found it acceptable.

I also bought a Cock o' the North and this was jerky when starting and even when running at a decent speed it would jostle the carriages. Again, I did the running in, oil, changed the CVs but it was never smooth. I returned it to the model shop who used it on their layout and agreed it didn't run as expected and returned it to Hornby. The replacement was a real improvement and ran as I would expect out of the box without the need to change any CV settings.

I then bought Gadwall and this ran really well straight out of the box.

So from my experience simply changing the CV150 setting might not fix the problem for everyone. I personally believe Hornby have had some not 100% TTS decoders but I can't prove it and it is only my opinion. 

.... but do try and change the CV settings as it can make a difference. 

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place, I have read the comments regarding jerky motion as I have Tornado with TTS sound and mine exhibits the same symptoms at slow speed, reading TTS leaflet CV 150 has 2 options as already mentioned with CV150 set to 0 this is roughly equal to the characteristics of the Hornby Decoder using CV151/152 to adjust, or set CV150 to I (which on mine is stronger)CV153/154 are the ones to adjust here. Please note there is no CV155 on my chip! An error on the leaflet

I have ran Tornado in for 30 minutes each way and have managed by tweaking CV151/152 (CV150=0) to just about achieve a crawl but the loco is noisy. Moving on I unplugged the TTS decoder and replaced it with a Hornby 8248, the difference is amazing no jerking no noise, I think the problem is caused by the output of the motor section of the decoder maybe it's the frequency that's sent to the motor. 

Archived