Flying Scotsman TTS Sound Jerky Start?

johnbet

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While waiting for my Sprog 3 to arrive (I had got fed up with the reliability of my meantime third  Elite) and wanted to tweak my Scotsman TTS which I bought on my last UK trip, and weathered by TMC. I read here that CV 150 is the key - but JMRI cannot  read past CV 106 and the JMRI DecoderPro website says that it can only read as far as is supported by the decoder.

Does anyone know how far up the CV range the Hornby Elite will support? The TTS decoder documentation lists CVs up to CV178 as being in use,  so it's not the decoder!

As it is NMRA compliant the Elite should support all CVs in the NMRA book i.e. 1 to 1024. Not all of them are used  of course. You can find them listed here

The limiting factor is usually the decoder not the controller (basic controllers like Select and others excepted) 

At one time Hornby used to have a list of all these CVs in their support section, but that has gotten lost along the way over the years.

Railmaster reads up to CV255 as standard.

• 8 months later...

Ive had similar issues with other TTS locos. The worst was a blue Tornado, that one went back....the standard 3 pole motors don't help with running but I've also found that on the large steam locos, particularly Duke of Gloucester (non TTS) that the lack of tender wheel pick ups is a major issue!

• 1 month later...

Hi All on this same topic.

I have both TTS Duke O G & C o t N, both ran fine for about a year until last week when I noticed they were both starting to speed up and slow down intermitently and erraticaly, using dcc this was both set at a constant speed using either RM with Elink and the bachmann dynamis system [not at same time] but when ran on dc using the old trusty hammant and morgan duete they both run smoothly at a constant speed.

Regards KC

The TTS decoder has a limited current capability and it may be possible the decoder is self protecting and briefly shutting down if the motor is a bit dodgy and/or there is a heavy function load switched on, but this shouldnt affect slow running or start off performance. More likely to be a duff motor, if changing CV150 doesn't work.

These two had just a few wagons behind travelling at about 35 mph scale speed sound not on.  so no real load on the decoder. Acc and dec set about 80 and 60 for nice smooth controlable realistic acceleration and deceleration but its the constant speed not smooth. If these can motors are so rubbish they should not be fitted. 150 hours is no where near a running in period let alone the life expectancy. Not good for future sales. 

Regards KC J

Admin edit: Removed profanity.

Not convinced we have a motor issue here given they are reported to run fine on DC. I would get in touch with HCC via the Contact Us number at the bottom of this page (don't email, you may have given up the hobby before they reply) and see what they have to say, even if you are now out of the 12 month warranty period.

• 1 month later...

Glad I stumbled on this thread. I returned my Gadwall which had a blown speaker (not the only one I see here), but it was a very smooth runner. The supplier issued a refund as he had no stock to replace it. So I was toying with ordering the Scotsman instead. Having watched a video of its jerky behaviour and also seen that others have had speaker issues with Gadwall, I am now torn as to which to order! Given that Gadwall was such a smooth runner, I think I'll order another. If that speaker goes, maybe I'll try Scotsman next!

Archived