Am i missing something? TTS Sounds in RM

Hi, just been talking to Mark Lodge, about other things, and mentioned the trouble of having to enter all TTS functions for sound in RM. He is of the view that they are already there, when you enter the TTS loco. This was news to me. Is he right,cos i cant it. john

I've tested one of the first steamers to have this John and it worked well out of the box. At this point I can't remember the loco but it was the first steamer released with it. My memory fails me tonight unfortunately.

I simply tested it for a friend as his system was all boxed up and not ready to run anything yet :-)

But it should all run first time... I'm doubting myself as to whether or not I had the loco in the lst of loco's in RM though... two memory faults now! Think I will go to bed!

** Edit

Brain woke up and I do believe it was the Flying Scotsman TTS.. it definitely worked with all commands I issued so maybe a fault with yours?

Hi John

I don't have any TTS Loco's but I have just entered R3289, which is a Class 37 TTS into RailMaster and it did NOT automatically fill in all the Functions.  When you select one of the Function Drop down boxes, lots of sounds are listed but it seems that they still have to be entered manually.

RDS, vindication, , thanks, i have been typing all these sounds for 9 months, but Mark, seemed to think, now when you put in the Loco, functions were there. Is this, in the Pro pack, perhaps. Does not solve my chuffing issue, but these locos, have toggle things, which go right over my head.   AC, hi, all my others worked out of the box. This one had perfect sound before it went back for new wheels. All other sounds are fine, no doubt someone knows how to play with CVS, to make chuff. john

RDS, vindication, , thanks, i have been typing all these sounds for 9 months, but Mark, seemed to think, now when you put in the Loco, functions were there. Is this, in the Pro pack, perhaps. Does not solve my chuffing issue, but these locos, have toggle things, which go right over my head.   AC, hi, all my others worked out of the box. This one had perfect sound before it went back for new wheels. All other sounds are fine, no doubt someone knows how to play with CVS, to make chuff. john

Hi John

You say it worked straight away and "until it went back for new wheels"? That would tell me they have done something else too apart from swapping wheels. Sometimes they just swap the entire unit so you get a different loco back. Surprisingly or not this can be common practice.They'll refurb a few, get a new one in and then carry out a job on that later on and will swiftly send back a refurbed one. Now, I'm not saying this happened or whoever did the job for you did something else besides, but it obviously happens anyway.

I would ask a question about why the sounds don't work when the wheels were replaced. Obviously wheels do not have any influence on sound. So the only damage to sound that can occur is if the loco was somehow thrown about and damaged in transit?

I really don't know but I would ask questions. Unless, of course, the sound worked on return and then flaked out...

... Is this, in the Pro pack, perhaps...

When I tried earlier it was on my 2nd copy of RailMaster , which is just the basic version.  I have just tried on my layout version which has the Pro Pack update and the results are exactly the same.

I have just downloaded RM onto my new laptop,so i'm running it in evaluation mode.

If you click locos,then fill in all the usual details, loco id name etc. and then click on the icon with two arrows, just below the function numbers for dcc functions, it populates all the sound functions.

1st click - Steam 1

2nd click - Steam 2

3rd click - Diesel 1

4th click - Diesel 2

5th click - none

Some of the sounds may need changing to suit your loco.

Chris

Well done hairy Chris (I say that to distinguish you from saf Chris)!  All us sometime experts in our own bath water and you've solved the problem in 5 minutes flat it seems.  Now why didn't anyone else know that?

Hi Fishy, hairy chris is fine, my friends call me that to differentiate me from the non hairy chris :)

I too manually entered the sounds until I found the button.

Hairy, have not had a chance to try yet, but if TTS sounds are there, then nobody lnew, as we have all been typing them in, and all previous advice, has been, just that.  Fishy, if these functions were there, before, why has nobody found them, bearing in mind the level of expertise we have available. Once i have sorted out my chores, for heather, i will look, but i am still a tad sceptical. john

Well done hairy Chris (I say that to distinguish you from saf Chris)!

Call me ChrisS or just Saf if it helps.......Saf was once a nickname given to me by work colleagues many moons ago....

.... but i am still a tad sceptical ...

He is right John.  Just select your Loco and click the icon with 2 arrows, the one that when you hover over it, says 'Set Default Functions'

How embarrasing that I had been part of the discussion 4 months ago!

Thanks Hairy and well spotted Fishy.

RDS, hi, just had time for a quick sneak upstairs, away from my nursing duties, and entered my 2 DCC diesels. What a difference. Will get to steam ones, as and when. From the posts, it would appear, this was not fully understood by some, me in particular, and if i had not discussed with Mark, woud have still been in the dark. It took ages to type them all in,  will know next time. johnl

Can you explain steams 1 and 2 please?  Are you saying having entered your correct TTS loco type, it gives you 2 options as to sets of functions?  Surely if so, still simpler to try one type, then if wrong try the other?

Fishy, no no its not like that.  With your TTS loco, comes a list of functions, which up to know, most of us have been typing in. We now find there are 4 options in RM, Steam 1 and 2, and Diesel 1 and2. The diesel ones in RM, all but mirror the ones in the instructions. You can choose the one that  is nearest to your loco functions. There it ends. On steam 1 and 2, you only get a few functions, say 9, none of which, actually mirror your loco instructions,  You need to type/ adjust most of them. This is not a complaint, i am delighted with diesels, which now for the first time, perform as they should. I had already entered all the TTS steam ones, according to instructions, and apart from one not chuffing, they are fine. The point i was making, for new buyers, is you cant just press steam 1 or steam 2, as was previously mentioned. What i dont know, for myself, is if these have been updated on Pro Pack, but i gather, not. john

To clarify the situation with loco functions and sounds in RailMaster:-

We try to build in the function profiles for all Hornby locos as soon as possible after the locos become available.  On the odd occasion this can take a few days.  Your RailMaster systems should have updated automatically (sound sets and locos) in the last few days so if you entered a Hornby TTS loco where the functions were not automatically populated try removing and adding it again and you should find that all sound functions are now populated.

With regard to the cyclic sounds button on the loco settings screen, you will see this cycles through four generic sound sets, namely steam1, steam2, diesel1 and diesel2.  Although we try to ensure that all Hornby sound locos are fully profiled by the time you receive them you are able to apply a generic sound set where steam1=generic Loksound steam sounds found in the original Hornby (and indeed other manufacturers') locos which contain that decoder.  Steam2 was intended to create profiles for Bachmann steam locos, which had different sound function assignments.  Diesel1 is for Loksound-based diesel locos and diesel2 for Bachmann diesels.  Of course, these cannot be 100% accurate as different locos may have different sounds assigned to certain function numbers, however in the main they are a good starting point which you can then fine-tune.

Hopefully this helps.

There you go John, steam/diesel 1 and 2 have nothing to do with it.  Just follow RDS's simple instruction earlier in the thread.  And if after entering your correct loco type, it doesn't work, update RM as HRMS says and it will.

Fishy, there we are NOT. diesel is fine, but Steam functions still are not right. Have taken locos out and put back. You still have , as HRMS says, to tinker. john   HRMS, thank you for that detailed explanation, which i had never seen before. My diesels are perfect, but unless locos are in latest update, they still do not match. , and you have to tinker. But i dont mind that, as my steam locos are fine, except for onr that wont chuff. You have sorted out my problem with diesels. great. john

Archived