Railmaster database problem

In the Railmaster program folder look for a file named "resources.bak". Make a copy of this file and rename it "resources.mdb". If you are lucky, your loco list may return. If there is a renaming conflict, because "resources.mdb" already exists (in other words this is not the missing component Windows is referring to), then temporarily rename that file to "resources.old" before creating the replacement "resources.mdb" file.

It might be worthwhile running 'Windows Update' manually (look in the Control Panel for the Windows Update launch icon) and see if any of the previous recent updates are shown as 'failed'. If any still waiting to be installed updates are shown then try installing them. This may repair the missing component. Some versions of Windows include 'repair tools' - what Windows version are you using?

The most common solution I find to repair a failed application is to re-install the application. If you download the RM setup.exe file from the link on the top of the RM forum section and run it as administrator, it should overwrite your existing RM still keeping your activation status intact. This may provide an effective repair of the Windows missing component error message, particularly if the missing component is part of the RM installation.

If after doing all this there is no improvement then re-instate file names to what they were and contact HRMS via the in-built reporting feature.

Chris, just been reading the above and seen the referral to Windows Update. It is this automatic update that caused my laptop to fail in another thread. As you seem well versed in these subjects is there something I can click or unclick to prevent the updates so preventing crashes etc? Thanks, Geo.

Geo,

I shouldn't really be answering your question here as it is a hijack of someone else's post. However, just to expedite a prompt reply to your question my response is below. I hope Gotty84 will not object.

Preventing updates is a double edged sword. Over time, if updates have been disabled, more issues can manifest themselves. You could be making your PC vulnerable to virus attack. However, in answer to your question. Yes you can disable updates, but it really isn't recommended.

Note: According to the pre-release information I have read, Windows 10 (except the equivalent of the Professional version) will NOT give the option to prevent updates, neither will it give the option to defer or hide updates. This doesn't help when MS get it wrong and issue a bad update. I got caught last year with a rogue update that resulted with me having to do a complete fresh Windows re-install. Starting with a hard disk format. I only mention Windows 10 here for the benefit of those reading who might be considering the free Windows 10 upgrade.

As a result of that, I now defer Windows Updates for at least a week, not wanting to be the guinea pig that finds the faulty ones. These are rare events though, in the main Windows Updates work quite well (well at least for me they do).

Anyway, getting back to your question. Can you disable Windows Update? - Yes

1. Open Control Panel (if you don't know how to do this, post back and I will give step by step guidance)
  2. In the Control Panel find the Windows Update icon and click it.
  3. In Windows Update click Change Settings in left hand side column.
  4. In Change Settings click pull down menu list and select Never Check for Updates (not recommended).

The above is written for Windows 7, but other Windows versions such as 8 / 8.1 will be similar. Be aware that Windows will PROTEST that you have disabled Windows Update. You will get 'niggle messages' at various times, like start up for example, asking you to enable it again.

May I suggest an alternative approach to disabling Windows Update completely, this is the one that I deploy.

In step 4. above, instead of Never Check.........choose Download Updates but let me choose whether to install them.

I then defer installing any updates for at least a week, any rogue updates should by then, be identified and be either pulled or updated by MS. However, deferring updates for a week introduces a fresh problem. After a while, Windows Update will modify your Desktop 'shut down' button (Windows 7, not sure if the same in Windows 8x). The shut down button will show a modified icon indicating that 'updates are ready to be installed'. If you click this modified shut down button, then updates will be installed whether you want them to or not as part of the PC shutdown process.

So instead. Click the arrow to the right of this modified Shut Down button and choose 'Log Off'. After a while you will get a new screen with a shut down (pull down) menu in the bottom right corner. Open the Shut Down Menu and choose the Shut Down option. This will force a shut down without installing any updates.

You can also select to only download "Important" updates. I've selected this on my Railmaster laptop as I don't want updates for IE or Bing etc.

Unfortunately it meant that the .net application wasn't installed which caused me a minor problem when upgrading my Elite yesterday.

I reset my Windows Update option on Windows 7 some time ago to what you have, Chris, except that I don't defer installation once I've spotted notification of them and had a quick look at them beforehand. I've had the odd ones fail to install, but otherwise no serious problems.

Archived