CV Settings

i have a dapol class 66 in n gauge which operates ok in both doc and dcc mode with the lights when the loco id is assigned no 3. 

Las soon as I change the id to no 8 the light functionality does not work, any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong?

I am using Railmaster and it is a Bachmann 6 pin decoder.

Any help on this much appreciated

regards

colin

This shouldn't happen of course. When you change the ID, CV1 in this case, that's all that should change.  I'm assuming it's not just that they are switched off after changing ID and you haven't switched them back on?

Lights are dependent on 128 speed steps being set in bit 1 of CV29.  Can you check the value of CV29 when you have 03 as ID, then when you have 08?  If it's changed, add 2 to it when you are on 08 and that should fix it.  If it hasn't changed, I'm stumped. 

thanks Fishmanoz, it has been mind boggling, just a bit confused with bits? what is bit 1 and bit 2 etc,   the values of cv 29 if I recall correctly are when Id is 3 it is 3, but when 8 ill need to check but I did notice cv 31 and 32 popped up with values 192 and 100 when I put in the I'd cv as 8 I will look at it again and report back.

colin

Smithy, ID is held in CV1 for short IDs, so changes from 03 to 08 when you change the ID.  CV29 is quite separate to this and each bit of the 8 bit word making up the CV means something different. Google CV29 Calculator and select the 2mm Scale Association's handy little calculator to see all about it.

Now CV29 shouldn't change value when you change ID, but if perchance it does, it will be your problem. A common default value for CV29 is 6, meaning 128 speed steps (2) and DC running (4) are set.  But just set the functions you want in the Calculator, including 128 speed steps, then write the resultant decimal value in the Calculator to the CV with RM.

If using RM to change your CV values Smithy you can double click on the CV29 value box and it will bring up a tick list similar to the referenced CV29 calculator.

Don't forget to Write the new values to the decoder. RM should make the change then confirm it.

the lice is very slow at full power,

Lice of any gauge are usually very slow even at full power Smithy.

Locos on the other hand may be tweaked by setting the CV for vMax to value 255, this can be done in RM in the usual read/write way or by amending the loco setting screen profile to a required speed as this may have been pre-set by RM for that locos typical shunt/cruise usage.

Rob (or anybody), showing my ignorance here, but what's a LICE? Tried Google but couldn't get past the hair variety.

the lice is very slow at full power,

Lice of any gauge are usually very slow even at full power Smithy.

Locos on the other hand may be tweaked by setting the CV for vMax to value 255, this can be done in RM in the usual read/write way or by amending the loco setting screen profile to a required speed as this may have been pre-set by RM for that locos typical shunt/cruise usage.

Yes CV5 is the chap - also known as vHigh, but not all decoders support changing it, nor can all controllers change it even if the decoder so allows.

May be just as easy to adjust the Cruise speed to your preferred max chat if using RM.

If you've set up your loco as a Hornby Class 66, it may well be the shunt and cruise speeds that are used are wrong for the Dapol, so adjusting them would be the way to go.

Also, the loco setups in RM only set cruise/shunt speeds, they do not change Vhigh or any other running CVs which should all be left on the defaults they came with.  Unless you or someone else has changed them.

Archived