Installing Railmaster on Windows XP

Hi All. 1st time Ibe posted.

I have the eLink cd & activation code but haven't used it as yet. Have been busy laying track (outdoor) etc. Came to install eLink on my Sony Vaio. Which again, has not been used for months.  Now the problem is,  it runs Windows XP. .. eLink loads the evaluation ok. Put the activation code in. .. The Windows Internet Certificate has a problem!! Support for XP finished in April this year. The Only advice I can get is, Scrap the Laptop.!!  Support for Windows 7,8 etc Will End Soon. What do I do with my purchase. Just write it off as a bad job.  Has anyone got any idea how I can use eLink without haveing to get a new Laptop to even run it.???

Hoagy

Your right, support for XP has ended, but..........

I was given an XP laptop recently that was re-built with XP up to a Microsoft Service Pack (I think it was SP2 but can't remember). Out of curiosity I ran Windows Update manually and found that although support had ended, ALL the outstanding XP updates that had been issued after the last installed Service Pack were available to me, to bring XP up to the very last supported revision level. I downloaded and installed in the region of 80 updates. I had to run Windows Update multiple times until it eventually gave a 'no more updates available' message.

I don't know what "Windows Internet Certificate" is, but if it relies on an update that hasn't been installed yet, it won't do any harm to check Windows Update and see if anything is outstandingly available. Particularly if you haven't used the PC for months.

Support for Windows 7,8 etc Will End Soon

Extended support for Win 7 won't end till January 14th 2020 with Win 8 January 10th 2023. I wouldn't call that particularly soon. Justification for this statement is here.

EDIT: From what I can find on Google "Windows Internet Certificate" seems to be something related to Internet Explorer reacting to certificate information on certain websites. Seems to me to be an inappropriate error message with regard to RM.

Many thanks All.

haveing a big moan in that last post. I do concede, Windows 7&8 are covered for quite a while yet.

the Cert does mean a Prob with Explorer.  I did check the 'up date' section & your right, there are lots of updates there. I'll try & see if it will down load any of them.

many thanks for the help. .... As Arnie says "I'll be Back"

I upgraded my evaluation copy of RailMaster to the full version on my Desktop PC running XP, a few weeks ago, without any problems.  The PC is in regular use though, so I have kept it up to date with the latest updates (that are still offered even though support ended ages ago.  

My previous laptop that I use to run my layout and main RailMaster copy was a Sony Vaio, running XP.

Admin, looking at the thread content, could you please move this thread to the RM forum and change the title to Installing Railmaster on Windows XP.

Hoagy, once Admin does those things, you'll be in the right place to get your answers and the title tells what you want to know.

Once you've installed all the updates, go to the RM forum to the top locked thread crated by AC.  Follow his link to his separate RM Help site, click the Installation tab, and you'll find there detailed instructions for installing on XP.  While you can install and run on any version of Windows, you'll find the XP installation is most likely the easiest.

After doing all of that, come back if you still have problems and we can give more advice.

The certificate issue is irrelevant. It is merely warning you that the site you are visiting is looking for an authorised certificate on your PC which allows a secure connection to that site. All you need do is just accept the conditions it outlays to you and you are on the site as you would be if that check didn't exist.

These things are usually issued in a networked environment where servers and client PC's need to prove their identity (in a shortened form explanation) to the network or site being accessed. So if Hornby wanted me to show I have the correct certificate to access their site they would have to supply me with that certificate. So don't worry about it. You may come across this slightly more often with Windows XP as later OS's have preinstalled certificates which stop this sort of thing happening too often by default.

The problem is NOT with IE at all as far as the certificate goes. It simply means you have not been given the certificate to prove you are genuinely connecting to that site or server. It is unlikely you would ever require it anyway. There are plenty sites that will explain this more fully so I will save us all from the rest of that stuff here. Try and think of the warning as just that...

Hi All. .. Panic Over.!! Don't know how I did it. Managed to install 'Explorer7' & Railmaster went straight in.

The original version of Explorer didn't get the Windows up-dates. (Haven't used the Laptop for Two years!!)

so all ok now. . Again many thanks to All who have helped. If I hadn't come to this site. I'm sure I would have given up with XP.

now to finish the track laying & enjoy oo. ..

Hoagy, just to satisfy my curiosity. Did you install ALL the outstanding updates, both recommended and optional, that I mentioned in my previous reply?

The reason I ask, is that many of the optional updates may relate to Windows NET.

Archived